[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Just now, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Yeah, but it comes with its own attachment, designed for SOAR, but I was hoping to use it for the shuttle. Ah well.

Ah, dang. I'm sure you could make it work somehow :) 

Further testing appears to be more successful. 

FZjyPm0.png

LBTS (Lifting Body Transport System) 1 successfully deploys the first payload of the program, after testing the concept of in-orbit construction.

10 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Further testing appears to be more successful. 

FZjyPm0.png

LBTS (Lifting Body Transport System) 1 successfully deploys the first payload of the program, after testing the concept of in-orbit construction.

Jet assisted shuttle?

2 minutes ago, MelancholyFlapper said:

You made an RO  rescale patch? Please, do share!

Sadly not. It isn't RO, just RSS, SMURFF and a cheaty MM patch. It's all stock scale though. Sorry!

I seriously love the looks of this pack... but I cant get any shuttle I make to fly... launch is fine and I can make orbit... but once I reenter the thing just wants to flip and tumble and fly ass first... its really annoying.

On 2016-05-24 at 9:24 PM, Avalon304 said:

I seriously love the looks of this pack... but I cant get any shuttle I make to fly... launch is fine and I can make orbit... but once I reenter the thing just wants to flip and tumble and fly ass first... its really annoying.

I was getting the same issues when making the video. However i succeeded a couple of times, and this is what I did: (Periapsis set to 32 - 35 km)

1. Maintain high angle of attack (say 40 degrees) in higher atmosphere (up to around 30km) just pointing up, deployed big wing flaps to 2 and big flap fully

2. After 30 Km (you should be around 1600 m/s), Reducing flaps, slowly easing the nose down to 10-20 degrees (also transfering monoprop to cabin as much as possible and locking it helps), i continue to burn RCS fuel for stabilization

3. The critical part comes around 500 - 1000 m/s. The shuttle starts pointing more down and falling like a brick - trick is to very slowly react with controls and slowly pull it out of dive, if you do it too quick, you get the ass first issue. Alternatively slap airbrakes, and add little thrust. but if you wanna be purist try deploying spoiler on the tail, i found it helps a bit

4. If you managed to get shallow dive and speed below 500m/s you should be golden, just ease on the controls (even decreasing deflection helps). Remember, shuttle is not a plane, hell its not even a good glider. Think of it as flying brick with miniwings.

Let me know how it went

Hi @Pak would it be possible to add Buran cockpit or a nose mask same as you did for the shuttle ?

I think that is the only thing needed to make a Buran, there is already Energia rockets modm and all other your parts are similar

Some links for reference:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/11/remembering-buran-shuttles-estranged-soviet-cousin/

http://www.buran-energia.com/

Hi @Pak would it be possible to add Buran cockpit or a nose mask same as you did for the shuttle ?

I think that is the only thing needed to make a Buran, there is already Energia rockets modm and all other your parts are similar

Some links for reference:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/11/remembering-buran-shuttles-estranged-soviet-cousin/

http://www.buran-energia.com/

52 minutes ago, StevieC said:

This mod's OMS engines are woefully underpowered for me. I can't even circularize my orbit with an EMPTY payload-bay.

You're flying too much up and not enough over.  By which I mean, you need more of a gravity turn, ditching the ET when you have something like a 80km x 20km orbit, or whatever the important part is the PE, you want it juuuuuust low enough that the tank burns up.  With some rockets I've gotten away with jettisoning my last booster stage ABOVE 22-24km because it stayed in physics range long enough to have drag drop it back into the atmo.

no I mean even when I use up ALL of my monopropellant I can't circularize, even with an EMPTY payload bay. And I really need to have some monoprop left over after circularizing for not only the deorbit burn, but also to do docking-maneuvers. NONE of those things are possible. I only have 500 meters per second of delta-V on monoprop, with an empty payload-bay, and to be a usable shuttle I need at last 1 km/s delta-V on monoprop ALONE when the payload bay is full

23 minutes ago, StevieC said:

to be a usable shuttle I need at last 1 km/s delta-V on monoprop ALONE when the payload bay is full

Considering that the real life shuttle had horrifically low dV once in orbit, perhaps you need to start exploring less accurate options.

Use Benjee's DIRECT mod, he has a cryogenic type fuel so you can easily get a, I used a Hubble mockup, into a roughly 400x50 orbit without even emptying the ET. Using the mod, build the ET, don't use the 1 part ET, and lock the top 2 tanks, you shouldn't have to empty them, but you need the weight for stablization after SRB Sep.

I tried to re enter, horribly overshot the ksc and still managed to land. Keep your nose high but not over 50-60 degrees, once you drop below about 600-800 m/s, reactivate your control surfaces to land, using them prior to that will over compensate and you will go down cheeks first. If you have roughly 100 MP before re-entry your RCS can hand descent. For landing, use a drogue chute on the base of the tail and don't have the front wheels higher than the back.

If you ever have to water land, try to slow down to under 60 m/s, the buoyancy of the empty S-Wings will keep you afloat. Most angles of attack below 30 degrees will keep the cockpit intact.

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

On 26/5/2016 at 0:13 AM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Use Benjee's DIRECT mod, he has a cryogenic type fuel so you can easily get a, I used a Hubble mockup, into a roughly 400x50 orbit without even emptying the ET. Using the mod, build the ET, don't use the 1 part ET, and lock the top 2 tanks, you shouldn't have to empty them, but you need the weight for stablization after SRB Sep.

I tried to re enter, horribly overshot the ksc and still managed to land. Keep your nose high but not over 50-60 degrees, once you drop below about 600-800 m/s, reactivate your control surfaces to land, using them prior to that will over compensate and you will go down cheeks first. If you have roughly 100 MP before re-entry your RCS can hand descent. For landing, use a drogue chute on the base of the tail and don't have the front wheels higher than the back.

If you ever have to water land, try to slow down to under 60 m/s, the buoyancy of the empty S-Wings will keep you afloat. Most angles of attack below 30 degrees will keep the cockpit intact.

would you be so kind to release your shuttle?

8 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

would you be so kind to release your shuttle?

How much of it do you want? The shuttle has a robotic IR arm, Tantares, Habtech, Mechjeb, DIRECT, KER, HabTech, and I'm sure more things as well. I also edited the config of the Airlock to add some liquid fuel/oxidizer and a fuel cell, do you want that as well?

10 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

How much of it do you want? The shuttle has a robotic IR arm, Tantares, Habtech, Mechjeb, DIRECT, KER, HabTech, and I'm sure more things as well. I also edited the config of the Airlock to add some liquid fuel/oxidizer and a fuel cell, do you want that as well?

I currently have all of the mods you used, I do not know for the modified config. Does it add useful fuel or is just for backup?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.