[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

7 hours ago, SpitfireAcademy said:

It does matter because flipped around the port is too close to the cockpit to dock.

???

Just offset it. Yes its annoying that the standard orientation is out of whack but its not like there isn't tools to correct it.

Not sure if this is the right place to report bugs for this mod, but I've just recently had a pretty serious one. 

kXE8gHn.jpg

Shuttle was fine before I switched to my ET and watched it burn up in the atmosphere. When I switched back to my shuttle in orbit, the above happened after physics loaded. I've tried quickloading but the same happens. Any ideas? 

Thanks, 

Steely-Jim

Edited by Steely-Jim

^ Do you happen to have KJR installed? If not it might just be the stock joints failing on physics load and KJR would prevent that.

Beyond that, I really couldn't say what could have caused that.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Looks like a nice Shuttle C you got there. Does the Engine-Wing setup re enter and land?

I don't have a very good idea as to what Is happening, perhaps something is clipping and it only decided to break when you switch back to it.

2 hours ago, G'th said:

^ Do you happen to have KJR installed? If not it might just be the stock joints failing on physics load and KJR would prevent that.

Beyond that, I really couldn't say what could have caused that.

I think what happened was, I installed the CA pallet which I didn't realize came loose after ET tank sep. So I decided to use KIR to metaphorically nail it down to the cargo bay. After I reloaded my shuttle, things got weird. I re-ran the launch after strutting the pallet in the VAB and the issue didn't reappear. However, there are a few other minor graphical issues which I wonder if anyone else has:

xp4rkAG.jpg

Link to album: 

http://imgur.com/a/tBq1c

Edited by Steely-Jim

6 hours ago, Steely-Jim said:

I think what happened was, I installed the CA pallet which I didn't realize came loose after ET tank sep. So I decided to use KIR to metaphorically nail it down to the cargo bay. After I reloaded my shuttle, things got weird. I re-ran the launch after strutting the pallet in the VAB and the issue didn't reappear. However, there are a few other minor graphical issues which I wonder if anyone else has:

xp4rkAG.jpg

Link to album: 

http://imgur.com/a/tBq1c

Never had that kind of problem. Sometimes it happens during heavy timewarp, but when it stops it returns normal. I would first try with another save (without modifying anything in GameData); if it still persist, try deleting everything except Squad in GameData and update all your mods manually. Which version are you playing on? Maybe you have some mods conflicting with 1.1.3

Edited by trooperMNG

8 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

Never had that kind of problem. Sometimes it happens during heavy timewarp, but when it stops it returns normal. I would first try with another save (without modifying anything in GameData); if it still persist, try deleting everything except Squad in GameData and update all your mods manually. Which version are you playing on? Maybe you have some mods conflicting with 1.1.3

I installed KJR and that seems to have resolved the graphical issues. Was curious to know what happened to cause it. I had tried putting some struts between the cargo bay and lifting body and likewise for the nose cone and cockpit, but to no avail. 

I'm playing on 1.1.3. I'm using, KER, KIS, KJR, Near Future Solar, Near Future Spacecraft, Habitat Pack, Trajectories, Transfer Window Planner, KAC, Maneuver Node Splitter, RCS Build Aid, and Asteroid Day. 

I'm happy with KJR as a work around for now. 

16 hours ago, Steely-Jim said:

xp4rkAG.jpg

I have been having the same trouble as Steely-Jim with the exception of it falling off, whilst I'm not sure I think it also affects the cargo-bay working correctly, as whenever I have re-entered with the lifting body like that, I fall nearly 100km short of KSC compared to a normal re-entry. I have experienced this in 1.1.2 but have given a slight redesign to my shuttle, and have not had it happen yet in 1.1.3

Edited by macc92

On 6/23/2016 at 8:21 PM, SpitfireAcademy said:

I made these last night, and saw your update just now.  LMAO.  With ablator too :)

I hope you know, the Shuttle didn't use an ablative shield. That would be not very cost effective for a reusable vehicle. This is a diagram of the shuttle Thermal Protection System.

ShuttleTPS2-colored.png

On 6/26/2016 at 11:10 AM, Steely-Jim said:

I installed KJR and that seems to have resolved the graphical issues. Was curious to know what happened to cause it. I had tried putting some struts between the cargo bay and lifting body and likewise for the nose cone and cockpit, but to no avail. 

I'm playing on 1.1.3. I'm using, KER, KIS, KJR, Near Future Solar, Near Future Spacecraft, Habitat Pack, Trajectories, Transfer Window Planner, KAC, Maneuver Node Splitter, RCS Build Aid, and Asteroid Day. 

I'm happy with KJR as a work around for now. 

Update: While initially I thought Kerbal Joint Reinforcement solved the issue, it only partially mitigated it. I still get some graphical abnormalities which are inconsistent between timewarps, quickloads, or after docking/undocking. Doesn't appear to affect the aerodynamics or thermal properties though, I think it's a purely graphical bug. I could be wrong though. 

On 6/26/2016 at 4:20 PM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I hope you know, the Shuttle didn't use an ablative shield. That would be not very cost effective for a reusable vehicle. This is a diagram of the shuttle Thermal Protection System.

ShuttleTPS2-colored.png

You hope I know or you hope I don't know so you can sound smart?  Both answers are true, and I realized this a few days ago.  

11 hours ago, SpitfireAcademy said:

You hope I know or you hope I don't know so you can sound smart?  Both answers are true, and I realized this a few days ago.  

Fortunately, it doesn't matter. It's KSP physics, so what's saying we shouldn't have ablator on the shuttle wings? Personally, I'm ambivalent. It sounds like a good idea, but, stock spaceplanes (though not mine) seem to work without.

@Pak I love this mod, thx alot! :)

Some problems, that I've noticed after some usage:

1) Shuttle, made with this parts have a serious luck of yaw stability. I have to clip 10 (ten) square wings (wing area = 1 for each) inside engine section to make shuttle more or less flyable.

2) MMU did not have SAS(!!!) so it's very hard to contlol and almost impossible to dock back to the MMU Rack... Also gyros are too weak to use MMU for station assembly or such. My solution here was:

@PART[CAMMU]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSAS
		SASServiceLevel = 2
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]
	{
		@PitchTorque = 1.0
		@YawTorque = 1.0
		@RollTorque = 1.0
	}
}

3) The main problem at this time, but I not sure if it exactly on mod side, correct me if I wrong. So, HUGE problem is that, cargo inside of cargo bay did not shielded from aero forces on reentry. So there a lot more drag, that it should be, and some parts get ripped off by aero stream on reentry... I've tried clipping cargo colliders to be exactly inside of cargo bay collider, I've tried to switch scenes after closing bay door and before reentry.... Nothing help to prevent that.

May be there are another way to play around that?

4) Almost forget, some compability:

@PART[Airlock]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
		passable = true
	}
    MODULE
    {
		name = KeepFitPartModule
		strActivityLevel = CRAMPED
    }
}

5) Pure cosmetic, but it makes shuttle silhouette a true eye candy:

@PART[CAStrake]
{
	@rescaleFactor = 1.25
}

6) Need to change part name designator Airlock to CAAirlock to prevent conflicts (for example HabTech have the same named part). ....or this is not a problem?

Edited by ZobrAA

2 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

5) Pure cosmetic, but it makes shuttle silhouette a true eye candy:

@PART[CAStrake]
{
	@rescaleFactor = 1.25
}

Looking great! But they sure need a retexture for that grey part on the non-tiled side. Don't know why Squad included it in the first place, it doesn't blend with the larger wing part nor the cargo bay. Someone should enlighten me.

OP: soviets really made a nice copy-paste version of the STS this time :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.