[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

22 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Thanks for the pictures and comparison of capacity, and I'm glad you think the wings look okay. 

When I was scaling up the parts, I did increase the amount of lift they generate, so that might affect flight performance, especially on reentry. When I looked at the craft I built (which is included in the DL actually...forgot to mention that), the CM and CoL were on top of each other, so that's not too bad. I've yet to actually fly it though

Astonishing work @MrMeeb! But my biggest concern right now is if my regular launcher will work (probably not). Did you try AB launcher Buran or DIRECT Shuttle?

44 minutes ago, StevieC said:

@MrMeeb I trust you'll put an attachment node on the SpaceLab to allow a docking port to be put on the top?

Uh, to be placed where exactly?

17 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

Astonishing work @MrMeeb! But my biggest concern right now is if my regular launcher will work (probably not). Did you try AB launcher Buran or DIRECT Shuttle?

I haven't tried either. In terms of d/V, it will work - the mass hasn't changed. It's just scale. I want to know if the lengthened bay makes the ET look too short or anything. I'll look for myself when I have the time, but other opinions are always helpful

uh, n/m, my mistake, but I still am hoping you'll provide a part that will allow a docking port to be attached in a way that fits together with your spacelab components?

NaJUqlx.png

I thought that was supposed to be an attachment point for a docking port?

Edited by StevieC

6 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Turns out I derped and missed the release that brought compatibility with my part a few days ago, but that's alright. I'm gonna release the CRG-150 now, so I hope people enjoy it! Included in the DL are the cargo bay and some scaled up versions of the BIG S Control Surfaces and Pak's edited wings to better suit the longer bay. This does mean that Comorant Aeronology is a requirement, but I think that's okay, seeing as it would be slightly odd to not use this mod, but be looking for shuttle parts. I'd also appreciate it if people were to take a look at how it scales with the DIRECT LV parts, seeing as @trooperMNG made a good point that it might be slightly off, and I haven't had time to look into it. I'm going to continue to camp in this thread for now, but I will eventually move my stuff into its own thread when I have enough of it. 

Shuttle Payload Technologies v0.1

5VSpFur.jpg9JLFxAN.gif

Reveal hidden contents

v0.1 - Initial Release!

• CRG-150 Added
  • Tiled Delta Wing Added
  • Tiled Wing Strake Added
  • Shuttle Inner Elevon Added
  • Shuttle Outer Elevon Added

Download

Also, in terms of what I've done with Spacelab, it's getting there. In this picture you can see SpaceLab and a collection of tunnel sections, along with the Inline Airlock that accompanied this module. The modularity of the tunnel should hopefully allow various configurations to be possible, including ones where you'd fit one of Pak's Spacelab-esque pallets behind it. Currently unsure of course, as I don't know the exact sizes. We will see. 

ulQSNOq.png

Nicely done! Good work.

I found some issues:
The cargo bay doors open a bit more downwards. I equip my shuttles with two jet engines on the side, so the doors collide with them. Wouldn't be a problem when you use the opening limiter. But you can't use it because of the split animation.
The elevons seem not to interact with FAR correctly. I can adjust them only with stock settings.

1 minute ago, Plexi said:

Nicely done! Good work.

I found some issues:
The cargo bay doors open a bit more downwards. I equip my shuttles with two jet engines on the side, so the doors collide with them. Wouldn't be a problem when you use the opening limiter. But you can't use it because of the split animation.
The elevons seem not to interact with FAR correctly. I can adjust them only with stock settings.

The cargo bay on the real shuttle went down that far.

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

The cargo bay on the real shuttle went down that far.

Thats not the problem. I would use the limiter for that. But its not possible because of the split animation.

Edited by Plexi

53 minutes ago, Plexi said:

Thats not the problem. I would use the limiter for that. But its not possible because of the split animation.

I decided I wanted the accurate, asymmetric animation, so this is just a problem you're gonna get. Also, as Shutesie said, thats how low the shuttle doors opened, so that's what I went with :) 

For FAR, I don't use it, so I know nothing about it. Sorry. 

@Pak First i need to tell you, i'm new to the forum. I created that account just for THAT mod!  Great job. Thanks you!

@MrMeeb You did great job too and i wanna use your mod to complete Cormorant Aeronology. I can't stop thinking they should be just one mod together with Canadarm too. But before i should suggest you to add a node for that last one in the CRG-150. Also, the ''Radiator'' attach to the cargo bay is working? I'm asking cuz the menu in the part description doesn't tell ya. Thanks you too.

5 hours ago, StevieC said:

uh, n/m, my mistake, but I still am hoping you'll provide a part that will allow a docking port to be attached in a way that fits together with your spacelab components?

NaJUqlx.png

I thought that was supposed to be an attachment point for a docking port?

Sorry, missed this. I'm not entirely sure what's going to be there, but I don't want it to be a docking port. If you want docking hardware, there is space for the CA Airlock along with all the other stuff in that picture (in the CRG 150). This is basically the config used in one of the Shuttle Mir missions

Diagrams actually say it was an airlock, bizarrely enough

Atlantis_Docked_to_Mir.jpg

Edited by MrMeeb

14 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Diagrams actually say it was an airlock, bizarrely enough

That is an airlock but not for people. It was for exposing experiments to space

@MrMeeb Problem is that the Cormorant airlock isn't an inline part, so you can't attach other stuff behind it, or if you can, it won't be crew-accessible without doing an EVA. Will there be a part in your Spacelab components that either has a docking-port built into it or which can have a docking-port attached in a way that would be crew-passable?

12 hours ago, Shield88 said:

But before i should suggest you to add a node for that last one in the CRG-150. Also, the ''Radiator'' attach to the cargo bay is working? I'm asking cuz the menu in the part description doesn't tell ya. Thanks you too.

Sure, I can add a node for the Canadarm! 

I realised last night that I didn't make the radiators functional. I'll look into it

7 hours ago, StevieC said:

@MrMeeb Problem is that the Cormorant airlock isn't an inline part, so you can't attach other stuff behind it, or if you can, it won't be crew-accessible without doing an EVA. Will there be a part in your Spacelab components that either has a docking-port built into it or which can have a docking-port attached in a way that would be crew-passable?

This is one of the layouts I'd expect people to use if they want docking hardware and the Spacelab:

cnChpRg.png

I don't see a problem with it? Pak added a node on the airlock in the latest update, so attaching it shouldn't be a problem at all, and you can just right click and transfer crew.

24 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

@MrMeeb is SpaceHab on the plans too? that would be quite useful for station resupply and KIS storage :)

It is indeed :) I think I'll make it after I've made the Ku Band Antenna (next on the list)

Edited by MrMeeb

I would love to see someone ( @MrMeeb @Sgt.Shutesie @VenomousRequiem ?) fly a mission using the Cormorant Shuttle with a reusable Agena upper stage from BDB. It was a concept for launching GTO satellites from shuttle, where the Agena would release, perform the GTO-insertion burn, release its drop tanks, then turn around and fly back to rendevous with the shuttle. The Shuttle would then capture and secure the passive Agena, which would return to earth. The obvious benefit of this being that you get to reuse the upper stage along with the orbiter itself. It's a really cool design study that I'd love to see get proved in KSP. It could possibly even be used for sending small cargo loads to the Mun!

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19740023215

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740024172.pdf

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I would love to see someone ( @MrMeeb @Sgt.Shutesie @VenomousRequiem ?) fly a mission using the Cormorant Shuttle with a reusable Agena upper stage from BDB. It was a concept for launching GTO satellites from shuttle, where the Agena would release, perform the GTO-insertion burn, release its drop tanks, then turn around and fly back to rendevous with the shuttle. The Shuttle would then capture and secure the passive Agena, which would return to earth. The obvious benefit of this being that you get to reuse the upper stage along with the orbiter itself. It's a really cool design study that I'd love to see get proved in KSP. It could possibly even be used for sending small cargo loads to the Mun!

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19740023215

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740024172.pdf

That might be a nice break from today's UV Unwrapping. If I go for much longer I might go mad. I'll see what I can do :P 

Edit: The shuttle feels right at home back in my RSS install! She flies great, and I've got some fairly solid numbers for Direct LV rescalling. Probably gonna push a patch including those rescales and the node for the Canadarm tomorrow.

wJMMOvn.png

QjrWHzh.png

@CobaltWolf I know you can't see it all that well, but how's that looking? Kind of a prototype, but all the same

Edited by MrMeeb

does anyone else have a problem where stuff inside a payload bay overheats and blows up during re-entry? it seems that I'm not getting any shielding inside any bay (stock or Meeb's 150) and usually the docking port is the first one to explode

I tried searching for similar issues, but I couldn't find a match...

idk if this helps, but I re-enter with a 5 to 10 degree pitch, and I'm using stock atmosphere but with Real Heat as I'm using a scaled up kerbin and things were far worse before using it

On 08.07.2016 at 11:37 PM, Pak said:

Couldn't sleep so I started a separate project I've had in mind for a while. The Weka Shuttle! (X-20)

The goal would be a handful of parts to make smaller shuttles (1.875m) earlier in the tech tree aimed at small 1.25m payloads, crew, and tourism activities.

I'll mess with it more after the 1.1.3 update (decoupler and little fixes).

EpaB2g3.png

Just some pics for mini-shuttle inspiration :)

axxTRxy.jpg

More pictures: [Imgur](http://imgur.com/a/byM5K)
Edited by ZobrAA

Has anyone else had a problem with the RCS on the OMS where one of the roll thrusters fires when making a yaw movement? It's making my shuttle roll when turning left or right, and I wouldn't know the first thing about fixing it.

e: Actually, I think it only started after switching to longer than standard cargo bays. Prior to MrMeeb's cargo bay I used the four segment bay with a one segment bay and had the same problem, but I don't remember seeing it before that.

Edited by FlyMeToTheMinmus

Okay, v0.11 of Shuttle Payload Technologies is out!

Spoiler

Added MiniAVC
Added .version file
Renamed stsBay to STS_Bay - CRAFT BREAKING
New Parts!
- Rockomax ET5 LHO Fuel Tank
- Rockomax ET7 Fueled Nose Cone
- Rockomax ET10 LHO Fuel Tank
- Rockomax ET25 LHO Fuel Tank
- Rockomax ET50 LHO Fuel Tank
- SRB BR-926 4-Segment Solid Rocket Booster
- Booster Assisted Separation Nose Cone
Added RealPlume compatibility
Added Canadarm compatibility

If you have any important craft with my cargo bay, you can protect them by going into the .craft file and replacing any stsBay entry to STS.Bay

To get the new parts, DIRECT is required. Please let me know if you think there are any balancing issues!

https://github.com/MrMeeb/Shuttle-Payload-Technologies/releases

(man, I got lazy with release posts between v0.1 and v0.11)

Edit: I made a thread!

Edited by MrMeeb

On 7/27/2016 at 6:40 PM, Shield88 said:

I created that account just for THAT mod!  Great job. Thanks you!

Thanks. Keep on spacin'

On 7/28/2016 at 5:13 PM, JoseEduardo said:

does anyone else have a problem where stuff inside a payload bay overheats and blows up during re-entry? it seems that I'm not getting any shielding inside any bay (stock or Meeb's 150) and usually the docking port is the first one to explode

I tried searching for similar issues, but I couldn't find a match...

idk if this helps, but I re-enter with a 5 to 10 degree pitch, and I'm using stock atmosphere but with Real Heat as I'm using a scaled up kerbin and things were far worse before using it

There was an issue with the bay not being considered closed, but that's been fixed so I'm not sure. Don't know anything about real heat or scaled up stuff. Did you try testing with a stock shuttle?

11 hours ago, FlyMeToTheMinmus said:

Has anyone else had a problem with the RCS on the OMS where one of the roll thrusters fires when making a yaw movement? It's making my shuttle roll when turning left or right, and I wouldn't know the first thing about fixing it.

e: Actually, I think it only started after switching to longer than standard cargo bays. Prior to MrMeeb's cargo bay I used the four segment bay with a one segment bay and had the same problem, but I don't remember seeing it before that.

This is just how kerbal deals with RCS. It'll fire anything it thinks might be pointing in the right direction. I tend to turn off Yaw on the OMS pods and just take it easy when translating left and right. I could see it becoming more apparent with the longer bays since it's further away from the CoM.

Since I'm posting anyway here's some WIP stuff. Left to right: Spacelab pallet and ICC pallet, Satellite sunshade in the back, Spacelab pallet with the experiment rack. Also working on the EDO (Extended Duration Orbiter) pallet, but it's not worth a picture yet.

SDaGpZ9.png

Huh. This is a very attractive part pack. I'm playing with it now. Unfortunately, I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get the main body parts together. After some playing around, I got the forward reaction control system connected to a stock shuttle cockpit, but I think I'm missing something when it comes to getting the lifting body or shuttle bottom parts connected to each other or to the cockpit. I don't suppose anyone can nudge me in the right direction? I didn't see any explanations, flipping through the thread.

Edit: OH, I get it. You make a normal mk3 fuselage, with a cargo bay, cockpit, tanks, and so on, and the parts from this mod attach to the bottom! At least for me, that wasn't clear from the main post. It might be worth adding that detail, or I may just be a derp XD

Edited by Tokamak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.