[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

1 hour ago, Enterprise0709 said:

How am I suppose to land these things? stand-up guy keeps flipping over upon re-entry!

It takes a lot of practice. Be prepared to have to retry multiple times to get a feel for trajectories for re-entry, attitudes for re entry and movement, and altitudes for doing certain maneuvers. Your mission at first isn't to land at the KSC, it is to land with as much of the shuttle intact.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

It takes a lot of practice. Be prepared to have to retry multiple times to get a feel for trajectories for re-entry, attitudes for re entry and movement, and altitudes for doing certain maneuvers. Your mission at first isn't to land at the KSC, it is to land with as much of the shuttle intact.

Just like the real one!gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

2 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

yea I noticed that if i Pitch, to much the thing flips out of control.

23 hours ago, Enterprise0709 said:

Ow and by the way: The RCS thrusters in the nose and on the oms pod needs tuning. huge amount of torque on them, even when the orbiter is empty. It makes rendezvous very difficult and docking next to impossible

Have you tried using precision mode? I always use precision mode on all docking approaches. I've never had issues with any mod 

I’m sorry if this has been asked before but I’m new to the mod & I couldn’t find the answer in the thread. 

Is there a trick or a special way to attach the MMU to the MMU Rack (both in the VAB & in Space)?

Thanks,

I’m sorry if this has been asked before but I’m new to the mod & I couldn’t find the answer in the thread. 

Is there a trick or a special way to attach the MMU to the MMU Rack (both in the VAB & in Space)?

Thanks,

There is a Node to attach the MMU to the Rack. Pressing the Alt-Key makes it easier. In Space: The MMU and the Rack have Dockingports. So you can dock the two parts..

Update 1.1.32 posted to Spacedock. Enjoy and let me know if anything starts on fire.

Spacedock Download

X1LSd4l.png

97qxNFy.png

New Parts:

SE-5 Sunshade - Vertical mount for small payloads with animated cover

Science Pallet Plus - Stack-able pallet with optional science rack for mounting whatever comes to mind. Also has a built in battery

ISPP V2 - Small pallet that fits inside the Science Pallet for more mounting options.

Changes:

Added fuel to the CA Fuel Cells. Replace them in the VAB for their updated values.

Some new plans on the horizon. I'll make a detailed post later

Good luck spacing

It's time to list out plans again as I've finished most of my old list.  This is roughly in order of how I'd like things to progress, but I tend to just work on things that are enjoyable at the moment, so who knows really. Some pretty lofty goals with a lot of new parts, so this is getting into longer term ideas and will likely split off into separate mods around the Block II time.

There's a few hangers on that I'll work in throughout the other packs. I'll put those here.

Extra Stuff

New MMU mounts. I'd like to give two options. One with nothing extra on it, and another with spare monoprop and a built in toolbox.

Small KIS box

reworking some textures to clear up space and fix some things that bother me

Other random stuff that comes up

Long Duration Shuttle

EDO - Mostly just a fancy LFO tank to power the fuel cells for a couple weeks

Power Extension Package - Big deployable solar panel 

Small radial tank with fuel switch to power fuel cells or store extra monoprop

Shuttle lookin' Food and Oxygen containers for Kerbalism

Shuttle Stack

I didn't want to make another shuttle stack, but with the addition of Block II parts I don't want to rely on other mods to be required for my parts to directly interact with (mainly the ET engines for the heavy lift).

Like my other stuff, these will be going for a good game feel and usability, not trying to be a perfect replica

External Tank - 5m Main fuel tank, nosecone, and tank butt

SRBs - SRB and nosecone

Block II Shuttle

Cockpit - Crew escape cockpit with decoupler, wings, and LES engines.

Liquid Fuel Boosters - Quad engine, fuel tank(s), nosecone, sepratrons

Wings - That's it, just wings

Block II Heavy Lift

B2 Heavy Butt - Streamlined aft RCS with Buran-like OMS engine mounts

ET Engine Mounts

As usual, here's some early WIP stuff. EDO, Block II cockpit, Block II booster engine

YhaeJaE.png

Here's the block II inspiration

9cczLwZ.png

Edited by Pak

10 hours ago, Pak said:

As usual, here's some early WIP stuff. EDO, Block II cockpit, Block II booster engine

YhaeJaE.png

Here's the block II inspiration

9cczLwZ.png

@PakSo, would your new wings include the wingtip tailfins with rudders? Also, why not make the external tank just one BIG piece with the tank's "butt" and nosecone already built into it?

5 hours ago, Superpenguin160 said:

Can you also make solarpanels on the inside of the cargo bay Doors and maybe the arm inside the shuttle?

If memory serves me, those things on the inside of the payload bay doors are actually thermal radiators for cooling, not solar panels.

Edited by StevieC

57 minutes ago, StevieC said:

Also, why not make the external tank just one BIG piece with the tank's "butt" and nosecone already built into it?

Because that would create balance problems in the late stages of ascent - if it was one big piece then as it drained, the CoM would move down past the limits of the SSMEs, and you'd find yourself unbalanced, and probably flipping over. Having a separate nosecone means that you can fuel the SSMEs from the nosecone, and the nosecone from the rest of the tank, so the CoM doesn't move out of the limits as the tank empties.

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

If memory serves me, those things on the inside of the payload bay doors are actually thermal radiators for cooling, not solar panels.

Correct. If you want it and haven't already got it, I made a payload bay with radiators! :)  

I have no shame when it comes to self promotion

Just now, MrMeeb said:

Because that would create balance problems in the late stages of ascent - if it was one big piece then as it drained, the CoM would move down past the limits of the SSMEs, and you'd find yourself unbalanced, and probably flipping over. Having a separate nosecone means that you can fuel the SSMEs from the nosecone, and the nosecone from the rest of the tank, so the CoM doesn't move out of the limits as the tank empties.

Ahh, fair point, I had failed to consider that.

Just now, MrMeeb said:

Correct. If you want it and haven't already got it, I made a payload bay with radiators! :)  

I have no shame when it comes to self promotion

DirectLV Has a onepiece ET And it works just fine

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.