[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Really awesome mod, exacly what I need, and every KSP mod-user.

Is it also possible to make it work with, realism overhaul/real solar system, Realism Overhaul rescales some parts including the mk3 parts.

I know, it's mentioned that it's not compatible with RO, but is there a possibility to make it work with a rescale mod, so the users can just scale the parts.

I just started a RSS/RO game and saw the parts couldn't be rescaled :(

But for the stock system, its just perfect!

@Pak OK, I'm making a FAR patch right now and I have a few questions:

1. Are all the wing and control surface models positioned correctly in the 3D editor (i.e. with the x axis facing towards the leading edge, y towards the wingtip and z perpendicular to the wing surface)?

2. Do the wing parts use the same model as the stock ones?

3. Does the tail fin have the same dimensions as the stock one? Is the point of origin the same? Question 1 again.

If all of these are yes, then I'm gonna upload the patch today.

21 hours ago, AyeLmao said:

DirectLV Has a onepiece ET And it works just fine

Onepiece worked the best for me because the CoM of the tank as a whole doesn't change during flight, so unless you have an empty payload bay the engines don't have to vector too much to stay on course. The stock fuel flow method makes balancing ETs very hard as each tank section is treated separately, so the CoM moves down the tank as fuel empties from the top to the bottom. IRL fuel drains pretty evenly from the low and upper sections of the tank so the CoM doesn't drift so violently. As mentionned actively pumping fuel into the nose is a practical way of compensating for that but it can get tricky with more than two tank segments and a one piece tank seemed to be the easiest way of going about it.

@Pak Ok I've made a FAR config. I didn't manage to make the Rudder work correctly, adding two FAR Control Surface modules causes the part to break and be ignored by FAR. If you made a version split into 2 separate parts (left and right half, could make use of FS mesh switch, to allow placing them by symetry) or just make the fin and each of the control surfaces separate parts, I can make it work though. If someone decides to use this config, they should just place two stock rudders inside each other for split rudder (or just forget about this feature for now).

Here is the MM config I made. I didn't remove the rudder entry, as it's essentially a brick anyway with FAR installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3jf4ec1vgzonuj/CormorantFAR.cfg?dl=0

Edited by m4ti140

On 8/21/2016 at 11:32 AM, m4ti140 said:

@Pak Ok I've made a FAR config. I didn't manage to make the Rudder work correctly, adding two FAR Control Surface modules causes the part to break and be ignored by FAR. If you made a version split into 2 separate parts (left and right half, could make use of FS mesh switch, to allow placing them by symetry) or just make the fin and each of the control surfaces separate parts, I can make it work though. If someone decides to use this config, they should just place two stock rudders inside each other for split rudder (or just forget about this feature for now).

Here is the MM config I made. I didn't remove the rudder entry, as it's essentially a brick anyway with FAR installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3jf4ec1vgzonuj/CormorantFAR.cfg?dl=0

I'm trying this out, but for some reason the patch isn't working for me. All these parts still have ModuleLiftingSurface. Not sure what the problem is. :(

Edit: Figured it out. There were some copy-pasta errors. I put together a fixed version. Still needs entries for the larger wings, elevons, and strakes from Shuttle Payload Tech, though.

@PART[BodyFlap]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !MODULE[ModuleControlSurface] {}
    %MODULE[FARControllableSurface] 
	{
        %b_2 = 3.1
        %MAC = 1.9
        %TaperRatio = 1
        %MidChordSweep = 0
        %nonSideAttach = 1
        %maxdeflect = 20
        %ctrlSurfFrac = 1
        %transformName = Elevon
    }
}
@PART[Bottom25]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
	!MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
}
@PART[Bottom50]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[Bottom100]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[CADelta]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    %MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel] 
	{
        %b_2 = 4.7827
        %MAC = 3.49113
        %TaperRatio = 0.19983
        %MidChordSweep = 23.885
        %maxdeflect = 20
        %rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig = 0, 0.969895, 0
    }
}
@PART[CArudder]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !MODULE[ModuleControlSurface] {}
    MODULE[FARControllableSurface] 
	{
        %b_2 = 4.560464
        %MAC = 2.74028
        %TaperRatio = 0.44967
        %MidChordSweep = 38.21
        %maxdeflect = 20
        %ctrlSurfFrac = 0.29
        %transformName = ControlSurfaceL
        %rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig = 0, 1.37014, 0
    }
    MODULE[FARControllableSurface] 
	{
        %b_2 = 4.560464
        %MAC = 2.74028
        %TaperRatio = 0.44967
        %MidChordSweep = 38.21
        %maxdeflect = 20
        %ctrlSurfFrac = 0.29
        %transformName = ControlSurfaceR
        %rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig = 0, 1.37014, 0
    }
}
@PART[CAStrake]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    %MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel] 
	{
        %b_2 = 1.20137
        %MAC = 3.1812
        %TaperRatio = 0
        %MidChordSweep = 66.726
        %rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig = 0, 1.27448, 0
    }
}
@PART[NoseCone]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ShuttleB]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ShuttleBottomLong]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

Edited by White Owl
figured it out

Nooooooooo!!!!

I have my game full to the brim with mods...

I just built/redone TODAY my 1.1.3 shuttle (from various mods, mostly OPT and Mk.3 Expansion, some models of shuttle SRB taken from a Real Solar System Mod tweaked by me to stock, plus a bit of tweakscale here and there) putting a whole, new, effort to add a "lifting body feature" under the Mk.3 cargobay...

... I tested it multiple time, to achieve the best result to balance its flight characteristics, achieving the "42 fuel pod tons payload" in 300x300 km orbit...

... I was planning then a lot of new things and then....

YOU!

I hope my modded game could handle this, because it's another addition I MUST HAVE... ç_ç

30 minutes ago, Araym said:

Nooooooooo!!!!

... I was planning then a lot of new things and then....

YOU!

I hope my modded game could handle this, because it's another addition I MUST HAVE... ç_ç

Ha. Sorry

2 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

@Araym

Btw, for the people who are interested, I edited the config files so I it compatible with the Realism Overhaul mod.

Nice. I've been pretty busy but still working where I can. I'll do some housekeeping around the thread when I get some time and post up those FAR and RO configs.

As for me I'm tweaking things and working on a shuttle guide with some general advice for building and flying these shuttles.

EDO and a kerbalism food box are on the way as well

@Pak, nice, keep going haha.

I only rescaled all the part with a factor 1.72222, and made OMS engines run on MMH and NTO, like the real shuttle.

Also removed the monoprop tanks and added the right amount of fuel to the shuttle to, which is 9288.609 liters MMH and 15530.5215 liters of NTO.

Are you going to make the RSS/RO config as an separate patch, or as a file that recognizes the RO?

In the case of a separate patch, I can give you my config files is you think its helpful :)

I have no intentions of working on or maintaining RO configs, but if you have something that works I'll post it here.

I'd prefer an @part compatibility kind of patch if that's possible with RO

15 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Did you also add the correct masses and such? I just wanted to get started with upscaling and ROifing all the parts but didn't check the masses of the stock one.

If @Pak used all real masses and stockified them it would be a bliss, if not we need to find all those for RO. Going with the shuttle replica first it's okay if the body mass comes roughly to the real structural mass when building an exact replica out of stock parts and SLB.

@Theysen

Running the last tests now.

I added the real amount of fuel the shuttle. The oms engines uses MMH and NTO.

57,14% of the is stored in the front. I know, not realistic, but I didn't know another way to balance the Com.

My space shuttle weights 79t comparing to the real shuttles 78t, quite accurate 

I used the stock big-s wings, so you can adjust the scale and weight, if you want to fine-tune. 

I can upload the craft file too for comparison

1 hour ago, Theysen said:

If @Pak used all real masses and stockified them it would bliss.

Not even a little bit. Since my parts add on to stock ones I'm not sure how I'd do that. Maybe I could take the mass for the full cockpit and make up any weight difference with my nosecone. Not sure how the numbers would shake out there. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Either way the whole shuttle will be getting rebalanced once I get the stack into the game. So I'll probably try a bunch of different stuff.

I appreciate all the RO work, but any changes made will be to improve stock performance, so you guys can keep hacking away at it.

@DrLicor Good stuff. Thanks for putting the time in. I'm away for the weekend but I'll grab that stuff when I get a chance.

5 hours ago, Pak said:

Maybe I could take the mass for the full cockpit and make up any weight difference with my nosecone. Not sure how the numbers would shake out there. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Yeah indeed, but it fuctions well now.

For the RO I just put tanks in the front to balance everything out.

The weight of the shuttle is almost the same as the real, so I changed nothing about that.

And about the RO-files: I just made them for myself initially, but I'm glad to help others with it and change things where needed :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.