[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

On 11/11/2016 at 5:36 AM, Spike88 said:

@Pak it's looking great. Are the separation motors at the top of the stack going to be functional? 

Yeah they're working motors. 

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Pak what happened to that SLS that you showed me? People are asking about it in the BDB thread.

Sure it's right here

lyHx0q0.png?1

On 11/12/2016 at 10:59 PM, SpaceBadger007 said:

Yea it is a bit, whats the point in throwing away rs-25s, but a big rocket is always going to be a cool rocket! Plus im hoping inside that the mission concepts actually become a thing with this rocket...

Fun fact: They won't. SLS isn't even supposed to fly... just something for Congress to dump money into...

55 minutes ago, PickledTripod said:

I believe that the SLS will definitely fly at least once or twice. It will never send people to Mars though.

That would be a horrendous waste of money. The program cost coupled with two launches would make it one of the most expensive (if not the most) programs in history. Might as well pack up NASA and never revisit publicly funded manned spaceflight again.

1 hour ago, Spartan-S63 said:

That would be a horrendous waste of money. The program cost coupled with two launches would make it one of the most expensive (if not the most) programs in history. Might as well pack up NASA and never revisit publicly funded manned spaceflight again.

Exactly...

@Pak, I had an epiphany: in this one Boeing/NASA/whoever pdf about shuttle modifications, they discussed adding fustrums and fairings to either the top or base of the ET to carry extra payloads/payloads too bulky for the cargo bay. My suggestion is this: make a copy of the stock fairing base(s) rescaled to 5m, then add nodes and shrouds to the ET nose tank and base/butt tank so the mod has increased flexibility with minimal effort ( compared to making your own fairing base and adding special cylindrical tanks with the same capacities as the nose/butt tanks). If you need any help with that, then just call @NecroBones, considering how much he uses and abuses the stock shroud feature.

Edited by awsumindyman
Posted on mobile. 'nuff said

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.