[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Is the shuttle nose not showing up in the VAB for anyone? I think there's a missing config

Found it, I was searching "nose" and "shuttle" and they wouldn't come up, I suggest a tag change

Edited by Cdw2468

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Why is it a bad idea? I find myself having lots of troubles with mods designing things for RSS that just doesn't work great in normal stock KSP. This is just a 1.0 release, many things will change. For a mod like this it takes alot of time to get the balance right for a very decent orbit around stock Kerbin. Will take time to get things balanced for RSS or 2x system. Anyone can make a rescaled config and send it to him at any time to speed up the process :wink:

For now, Happy launchings and a verry happy xmas to all!

Reveal hidden contents

rVZqZwS.png

because then the shuttle doesnt behave the same as stock parts do. Beleive it or not, stock parts are better balanced for a solar system 3x the size of the stock one. By balancing the shuttle towards a stock sized system, it will actually UNDER perform. @CobaltWolf put perfectly: if your rocket isnt overpowered, than it something is wrong with it.

9 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

@Pak, it is a really bad idea to balance against the scale of the system, fuel levels should be balanced again stock parts, for those who like to use rescales (and it just makes more sense).

Please don't tell Pak what to do. It is annoying to us and surely must aggrevate him. It is his mod, not yours, after all.

Let me make clear, however, that I am in no way saying that player imput is bad. But at least 2 other people have said things similar to what you said, but in a much nicer & more constructive way.

Please, everyone, remember to be nice to each other, especially people who devote countless hours of their own free time to give you great things - all for free. And of course, Merry Christmas, Happy 1st day of Haunakkah, and spread love this season.

11 hours ago, minepagan said:

Please don't tell Pak what to do. It is annoying to us and surely must aggrevate him. It is his mod, not yours, after all.

Let me make clear, however, that I am in no way saying that player imput is bad. But at least 2 other people have said things similar to what you said, but in a much nicer & more constructive way.

Please, everyone, remember to be nice to each other, especially people who devote countless hours of their own free time to give you great things - all for free. And of course, Merry Christmas, Happy 1st day of Haunakkah, and spread love this season.

Sorry if I came across as negative, that was not my intention. I was mearly voicing my concern about how using a balancing system conttary to the syandard could result in ... issues. Pak can fix it in his own sweet time, never have I ever demanded that a modder make a change to his mod immediately.

This is and has always been a mod balanced for the stock system. It should be pretty clear that I disagree with the overpowered rocket sentiment. I keep my dV margins pretty tight and put a lot of effort into making parts that are somewhere in between realistic and fun.

I didn't toss this together in an afternoon. With no extra fuel and a well executed ascent, this shuttle will just barely make it to a 80/30ish orbit with an 18t payload, go up to about 150 to deliver, and return home with monoprop to spare. That's my intended capability and player skill cap for this. Lighter payloads allow for a slightly sloppy ascent. Larger payloads can be done with modifications and the Block 2 and B2 heavy will lift increasing payloads.

I'm not saying it's perfect. I know there's mistakes. I've already found some and got some good feedback on things to fix. Ascent is pretty tough, so I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for feedback if I need to add a bit more margin for error, but throwing 6000dV into the tanks so a small portion of players can use whatever rescale isn't going to happen in the primary release.

I've said it many times. If you'd like to see something supported, put some work in, write a patch and private message it to me with some details. I'll check it out and host it on my github and provide credit in the OP.

I'm not angry and not looking to call anybody out, but the 'I don't agree with this so it's broken' attitude needs to stop. Huge amounts of work go into mods like this. Outside of cfg goofs, game bugs, or misunderstood references, the author most likely made a decision on whatever little bit you disagree with. Respect that.

15 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

Amazing work, Pak! I can't wait to try a shuttle flight tomorrow with all the new stuff, and I can finally get rid of the other mods I've been using to try to do the ET/SRBs that just clutter up my parts list.

Keep in mind to install RealPlume and smokescreen.. I forgot first time. Then, when I launched it the first time with my dad, it was a big failure with no smoke at all! it almost felt like it was magic seeing the shuttle lifting off without smoke, just weird.

do I press 4 before main engine start? still getting unintended yaw on roll program with 1.0. Shuttle flies very well, intact RTLS to the SPH after roll program anomaly. landed intact on grass, chute deployed all was good. now if it would go to space... @Pak

Edited by DarthVader

@DarthVader

If you're using my craft file the main engine gimbals are off at launch. The toggle is to turn them on when the booster thrust is trailing off.

You'll still get some yaw with the stock SAS no matter what. Just have to take it slow and try to keep your nose within or near the prograde during the roll. Also don't worry too much about being perfectly aligned during the booster stage (like a perfect 90 degrees East for example) It's much easier to clean up the error once you drop the boosters.

Thanks for the support guys. All the big photo albums are great.

A couple known issues I'm fixing:

MMU Rack E - Attach node causing the MMU to clip into a collider on decouple. 

ST-25 Engine - ISPs were flipped

External Tank - Rigid attach causing nodes to break on phys load

@Cdw2468 A lot of my stuff is still untagged. I plug them in as I go but don't think about it too much. In the meantime if anyone has trouble you can find everything in the manufacturer tab

Edited by Pak

Spoiler

Bv1tq0q.png

@Pak Found a minor bug: Light is coming through the ET, I don't think this is supposed to happen?

Also, anyone interested if I give Pak a config for Coolrockets so you guys have this:

Spoiler

Edited by damonvv

@damonvv Yeah I'm not sure what causes it. I thought it was normals but it wasn't. I'll probably figure it out eventually but I wasn't too worried about it.

@Turk_WLF Thanks, glad you like it.

Easiest way would be to check out the craft file. There's a button in the OP with the link.

But it's pretty simple. You can line up the ring of the booster decoupler with the bottom of the tank, use the grey hashmarks on the SRB to attach to the node (holding Alt helps), then autostrut to heaviest or just use a normal strut.

13 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

@damonvv I was looking into how to make those configs. I wanted to make them for BDB, but I haven't had much of an opportunity to play with it. I for one would be very interested in that.

I've send @Pak my config file, so I hope it should be on his github any time soon. If you can't wait download it here. If you changed a few things and made it look alot better please let me know!

Edited by damonvv

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

I've send @Pak my config file, so I hope it should be on his github any time soon. If you can't wait download it here. If you changed a few things and made it look alot better please let me know!

Added to the OP. Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.