[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

2 hours ago, LawnDartLeo said:

I don't see much discussion in this thread on Kanadarms. Made a nice one up with IR. Problem is that every element of the arm apparently weighs as much as the shuttle because any joint movement displays Newton's 3rd law quite well.  Even just twisting the wrist will spin the shuttle in the opposite direction... no load attached.  Speed and accelerations are as low as they can go. I'm sure there are other arm users here.  What is the solution?

The solution is IR + Canadarm:

And it works well in 1.3.1.

17 hours ago, FlyMeToTheMinmus said:

1: Your ascent profile may have been better in the first mission, if you spent too long in the atmosphere (pitching too early for example) then you waste a lot of delta v overcoming drag.

My shuttle (just like the real NASA one) has a separate OMS system and main engines. The OMS engines use separate fuel, so I don't know if that's the issue. But thanks for trying:D

The Trajectories mod looks really helpful actually. Since I don't actually have a hardcore gaming computer (the MET clock is yellow most of the time for me) I don't want to have too many mods, but I can probably make an exception:).

5 hours ago, Arte said:

All of the parts in the mod look amazing, but I play in 6.4x and I have been screwing with the cfgs for a couple days now and I just cant get the shuttle to work in 6.4x scale.

In the OP there is a 2.5x rescale by yours truly. Combine this with SMURFF at full lever and it should have the delta-v you need

9 hours ago, TheRedTom said:

In the OP there is a 2.5x rescale by yours truly. Combine this with SMURFF at full lever and it should have the delta-v you need

Thanks I'll give it a try and edit this post afterwards to tell you the results. 

Edit: IT WORKED!

Edited by Arte

I have a Cormorant Aeronology patch I homemade to RO-ize the parts, and the cockpit has got an FSTextureSwitch module. I'm not sure if that's the problem (it swaps the cockpit textures between stock, shuttle-like and buran-like) but when I set up the windowshine patch up for it using the example patches as a base, and following the style of the alpha channel editing that windowshine does on the correct textures, the entire cockpit is shiny instead of just the windows and the shadows on it are all screwy. Any idea why this might be?

Crossposting this in the relevant threads, this is driving me nuts.

7 minutes ago, MelancholyFlapper said:

I have a Cormorant Aeronology patch I homemade to RO-ize the parts, and the cockpit has got an FSTextureSwitch module. I'm not sure if that's the problem (it swaps the cockpit textures between stock, shuttle-like and buran-like) but when I set up the windowshine patch up for it using the example patches as a base, and following the style of the alpha channel editing that windowshine does on the correct textures, the entire cockpit is shiny instead of just the windows and the shadows on it are all screwy. Any idea why this might be?

Crossposting this in the relevant threads, this is driving me nuts.

Are you certain youre saving it with an alpha channel correctly? Like really certain?

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you certain youre saving it with an alpha channel correctly? Like really certain?

I have it so that the windows are white in the alpha channel and the other stuff is black, like the textures that come with Windowshine and its mod support packs.

Compare: eb4e525280.jpg

060eeedf4f.jpg

https://pastebin.com/NTsVRMxB

Edited by MelancholyFlapper

8 hours ago, MelancholyFlapper said:

I have it so that the windows are white in the alpha channel and the other stuff is black, like the textures that come with Windowshine and its mod support packs.

https://pastebin.com/NTsVRMxB

Yes but are you certain that is being saved out correctly? When I tried to make Windowshine configs it was really hard to convince photoshop to save to a flattened image (png, etc) and preserve that alpha layer.

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes but are you certain that is being saved out correctly? When I tried to make Windowshine configs it was really hard to convince photoshop to save to a flattened image (png, etc) and preserve that alpha layer.

I'm saving it as a DDS as the windowshine tut recommends, I have a DDS plugin.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:35 PM, Pak said:

Hey guys,

I've been poking at getting the IUS working and making this heavy payload mount based on the Shuttle-Centaur mount. Once it's all working and balanced I'll probably put it up on the dev build while I work on the textures.

A5NrQtx.png

@LawnDartLeo I would guess your launch is a bit too high or your payload is too heavy.

I would check the guide from the OP if you haven't to see if you're doing a similar launch. Doing something like this your OMS burn should only cost about 50-80 dV leaving you with plenty of fuel for normal LKO missions.

Awesome, been waiting a while for this! Am I right that the Shuttle-Centaur mount would be for the Centaur-Gs that come with BDB?

I saw some things going on with 1.4 like broken engine effects, RCS, and maybe some weird things that'll be cleared up with the FS update. So I'll have to fix all that, but I'm not going to mess with it until 1.4.1 comes around.

@Frednoeyes It is kind of. It has switchable braces for different payload diameters and one of those is for the BDB Centaur.

Hey everyone,

Sort of an intermediate patch for 1.4.1 so not posting to Spacedock yet. You can grab it from my Github

CA - Mk3 Shuttle Pack on Github

RCS fixed for OMS Pod and MMU

The engine effects got messed up with the unity update and I can't figure out how to fix them. Hopefully when new part tools are released it'll work out but for now just use the Smokescreen/Realplume (if you're not already).

Added the MMU Construction Port

- Just a low profile docking port jr that looks nicer on a station if you're not using KAS to clean ports off.

2JG75lu.png?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.