[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

On 4/2/2018 at 3:36 PM, nebuchadnezzar said:

I'm having a strange interaction with the MK3 Block II CERV and Scatterer 0.0329. I'm on a clean 1.4.2 and installed the latest Cormorant and the Block II add-on with the included Firespitter dll along with MM 3.0.6. When Scatterer is installed, I get NullRef spam when using the CERV pod. When I uninstall Scatter the NullRef goes away. Any help understanding this problem would be appreciated. I've attached my output log here.

Thanks I'll take a look when I can.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:12 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

When I add the shuttle name plate to my orbiter, it doesn’t let me select it, only the part I attached it to.

I have two shuttles, Dislantis and Chaldeavour, but I can’t change the name plate.

:( Any ideas?

Not really sure. It's working for me in 1.4.2. All I could really say is check Firespitter versions and maybe verify you game files through steam?

To be honest though with all the problems and weirdness happening with 1.4.2 I can't see things like this getting fixed until stock gets cleaned up so I can figure out what changes have to be made.

In other news I managed to get the IUS mostly balanced and worked all the bugs out. It's set up to put up to 2 tons into geosynchronous orbit and it feels great so far.

A lot of texturing work to do and some little things but that's all that's left now.

mPNK8fL.png

3 hours ago, Pak said:

Thanks I'll take a look when I can.

Not really sure. It's working for me in 1.4.2. All I could really say is check Firespitter versions and maybe verify you game files through steam?

To be honest though with all the problems and weirdness happening with 1.4.2 I can't see things like this getting fixed until stock gets cleaned up so I can figure out what changes have to be made.

In other news I managed to get the IUS mostly balanced and worked all the bugs out. It's set up to put up to 2 tons into geosynchronous orbit and it feels great so far.

A lot of texturing work to do and some little things but that's all that's left now.

mPNK8fL.png

Looks great! Can't wait to test it out. 

16 hours ago, Pak said:

I didn't install through Steam, I got it through GOG.com. Who knows, I haven't checked it in a while so maybe 1.4x fixed it.

1 hour ago, Pak said:

hLC8MWH.png

Yay! IUS!! Whoot!!

I'll certainly have fun with this when it's released!

I miss @MrMeeb's SPT. He had a nice payload adapter in the works, and I wonder how it would've worked with this IUS. Perhaps, if you're interested, you could see if you can take over his parts. They would go with this happily, and I would be happy to see them updated.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

6 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I miss @MrMeeb's SPT. He had a nice payload adapter in the works, and I wonder how it would've worked with this IUS. Perhaps, if you're interested, you could see if you can take over his parts. They would go with this happily, and I would be happy to see them updated.

It works just fine in my 1.3.1 build. It's just a parts pack. 

3 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Well it does have some plugins. I was hoping Pak could just maintain it, and there were a few incomplete things it would be nice to see.

I agree with that. It includes Spacelab...etc. Natural fit. 

@G'th Probably not with the current FS mesh switching. I want those to be usable with other things and the heat tile bottoms limit designs. I want to drop FS and use variants but to do that I need some kind of plug-in to mirror wings properly or force a mesh switch when mirroring. I'd like to have both options but I'll have to see how things work out.

MrMeeb told me he was just going to the store. I'm sure he'll be back soon.

40 minutes ago, Pak said:

@G'th Probably not with the current FS mesh switching. I want those to be usable with other things and the heat tile bottoms limit designs. I want to drop FS and use variants but to do that I need some kind of plug-in to mirror wings properly or force a mesh switch when mirroring. I'd like to have both options but I'll have to see how things work out.

I use MrMeebs payload bay with Cormorant without issue anyway. 

1 hour ago, Pak said:

Boo hiss sounds like stock logic xD

But okeedoke. Personally wouldn't be an issue proc wings was a bit more flexible, what with me not liking pre-fab wings anyway. 

I did a shuttle flight yesterday using this mod. I LOVE the look of the parts (once again, thank you @Pak!).

I got into orbit fine, but unfortunately I still have no idea how to fly a flat enough trajectory to do MECO after my PE is above the ground. Added to that, I’m a bit out of practice at launching so I ended up inclined by 2 degrees in orbit. This meant I missed the KSC by about half a continent during re-entry.

I don’t know if it’s me or my shuttle, but the orbiter just wants to pitch down during the final 100 metres of descent. This flight, it resulted in the total loss of the Chaldeavour and her crew. :(

Otherwise, great mod!

1.4 Made the stock SAS quite a bit worse for asymmetric lifters so you may be rusty but that has something to do with it too. A trick I've seen people doing is adding a probe core to the ET for initial ascent so the majority of the thrust is in line with your control point.

As for landing it sounds like you stalled out. To be safe you should go for a landing speed over 50 m/s. So you want to keep the nose down for as long as possible until the final flare to touch down.

2 hours ago, Pak said:

1.4 Made the stock SAS quite a bit worse for asymmetric lifters so you may be rusty but that has something to do with it too. A trick I've seen people doing is adding a probe core to the ET for initial ascent so the majority of the thrust is in line with your control point.

As for landing it sounds like you stalled out. To be safe you should go for a landing speed over 50 m/s. So you want to keep the nose down for as long as possible until the final flare to touch down.

Thanks! I will try both of those!

Regarding the name plate thing I mentioned before, I tried it and I still couldn't select it. Also, it appears the last update to this mod removed all the custom nameplates I made before.

(also, will the IUS be part of the main CA pack or will it be separate?)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Suggestion for a part I'd love - a shuttle bottom profile nosecone. Probably with RCS, maybe probe core, for making lifting body mk3 craft which don't use the stock cockpit?

A very approximate example:

HWxpfsp.png

Or instead of/as well as a nosecone, just an adapter from mk3 liftingbody profile to normal mk3 would be useful, like an end cap for the shuttle bottom

Edited by Rodger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.