[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

6 hours ago, Padrone said:

@Kroslev Kerman Did you ever get an answer on using MechJeb to get these shuttles into orbit?

If they did a search in this very topic, they'd see me link my video of this shuttle getting in to orbit using MechJeb like at least three times.  So the answer to the question is: "Yes."  The long answer is, "It always has been." and I can say "Do a search of the topic for "launch" and "Mechjeb" and look through my posts.  =)

Edited by slaintemaith

Hey guys,

Everything seems to be working with 1.6.1 and the newest versions of Firespitter and Module Manager so I updated the version tags. No new parts or features

For the black textures that some people are seeing my only guess would be to make sure you delete the old SPT files if you want to use the parts now included with CA. If you'd like to stick with the old SPT parts, just delete the SPT folder that's now included in Cormorant Aeronology > Assets. If that's not the case I'm not sure what would be causing it. Those are all very simple parts that don't have any texture switching or anything.

I didn't get the high band antenna in the files Meeb sent me but I'll pull it from the last release version and add it in when I can.

I'm going into my last year of my engineering degree so I've been very short on free time. I'll be keeping things maintained as best I can but I wouldn't expect any significant new stuff for a while. It's just been too much trying to balance my own studies, being a teaching and research assistant, and messing with kerbal bugs. I'll be looking at slowly cleaning up the core shuttle parts as they've gotten a bit messy over the years with KSP updates and bug fixing. Beyond that I'd still like to finish the LKS and Block II part sets but I can't promise when/if that would be.

I really appreciate the continued interest and enjoyment of all this stuff. These mods and the KSP modding community still means a lot to me and I check in as much as I can.

W3KtCe2.png

Can you make a thank you thread? We will soon be flooding this with thanks. Honestly this mod is wonderful, along with the Block II mod. Many thanks are due you. Thank you for this.

Your gift of two turnkey shuttle solutions with robotic arms, MMC, SRBs and seperators are real top notch. Thanks again.

@Pak Thanks once again for your continued work on Cormorant!

Just a thing though...the OMS engines don’t seem to agree with KSP 1.6’s dV calculations. Any manoeuvre node you set up has a red progress bar, and the dV for the stage with the OMS engines reads zero. No pics because I’m on my phone right now, but I can get pics and/or a log tomorrow when I have access to KSP.

Of course, it could be an issue on my end, and I did a reinstall of CA today but didn’t get the chance to play - so it could start working with no need for you to do a bugfix patch. In that case, sorry! :blush:

12 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Pak Thanks once again for your continued work on Cormorant!

Just a thing though...the OMS engines don’t seem to agree with KSP 1.6’s dV calculations. Any manoeuvre node you set up has a red progress bar, and the dV for the stage with the OMS engines reads zero. No pics because I’m on my phone right now, but I can get pics and/or a log tomorrow when I have access to KSP.

Of course, it could be an issue on my end, and I did a reinstall of CA today but didn’t get the chance to play - so it could start working with no need for you to do a bugfix patch. In that case, sorry! :blush:

I haven`t 1.6.x installed but I think it has something to do with the OMS using Monoprop. I had this problem with Mechjeb or other Mods in other KSP-versions that they recognize mono-engines as RCS, not engines.
Correct me if I`m wrong.

5 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I haven`t 1.6.x installed but I think it has something to do with the OMS using Monoprop. I had this problem with Mechjeb or other Mods in other KSP-versions that they recognize mono-engines as RCS, not engines.
Correct me if I`m wrong.

I’ve tried stock monoprop engines as well as the ones from Near Future Spacecraft, and the dV system doesn’t seem to have any quarrel with them, so it’s probably something about the CA engines that’s confusing it.

Does anyone else have problems with pitch and yaw when rolling to the right angle after takeoff?

I also noticed that all of the controll surfaces on the example craft are disabled, is this just for launch? Do they only need to be activated before rentry?

I'm still on 1.5.1 if that makes a difference.

32 minutes ago, Georry said:

Does anyone else have problems with pitch and yaw when rolling to the right angle after takeoff?

I also noticed that all of the controll surfaces on the example craft are disabled, is this just for launch? Do they only need to be activated before rentry?

I'm still on 1.5.1 if that makes a difference.

For reentry you must activate them. It is only for launch deactivatet because you can control with gimbal.

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

This is because "Petrel" is Buran and CA didn`t have parts for the Energija-Launcher. They are from Tantares. So you need TantaresLV. 

Of course! How could I forgot!

On 1/19/2019 at 2:01 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

@Pak Ignore the issue I reported above. Apparently the solution was as simple as reinstalling CA, and after that the dV system started recognising the OMS like any other engine.

Ouch I did that and not worked. Downloaded from Spacedock

I have had KSP for 5 1/2 years and been using CA for at least a year and a half -- don't recall if anybody remembers me from about a year ago discussing Mechjeb settings and such.

I've updated the CA builds I've had off and on as new KSP patches come out and they were fine enough until the most recent update of CA and now I'm encountering a problem with an intense movement to yaw right (its usually right) that starts anywhere from the moment I launch or after I make my initial roll. Mechjeb can sometimes fight it by pulling constantly in the opposite direction (usually left) which doesn't let up until I'm in the upper atmosphere long after I've decoupled my spent boosters. Sometimes it seems to ease off after that point and sometimes it sends me into a bit of a spiral.  Once I hit the edge of space it's no longer a factor and everything continues normally -- clearly its something that only occurs in the atmosphere -- but I'd like to really lock the issue down for a much smoother ascent.

• I have already locked down all the control surfaces as is done on all of the CA shuttle builds during ascent/in space.
  • I already have adjusted gimbals and further adjustments don't seem to have much effect on coming up with a solution.
  • I've done combinations of locking down both SRBs and SSMEs, switching them at the gravity turn, etc with no real improvement.
  • I haven't found any weight distribution issues -- everything seems perfectly balanced.

If you want to take look at the craft itself:

https://kerbalx.com/gc1ceo/CA-Mk3-Shuttle-STS-1XX

Not yet, I've used my own settings for a while now that usually work fine but I'll give your video a watch to see if I missed anything.

Edit:

I noticed that you use 2.5x RSS and FAR so your setup is going to be quite a bit different from me, you also mention you use your own craft that you entirely built on your own so that may result in a different experience as well. However I did notice some things with MechJeb you have done differently so I might give that a excrements and see if it's more of a problem with MechJeb as opposed to my craft.

My older conversation with Pak, drdaestro, and a few others about MechJeb settings was a couple of versions ago and didn't incorporate FAR so I definitely appreciate that somebody stepped up and made a tutorial for an extremely smooth FAR-compatible craft with a well-made tutorial video.

Edited by gc1ceo

So apparently my biggest problem was setting MechJeb to hybridcontroller and it fixed the vast majority of my instability -- the rest I think I can fix with a bit of throttle adjustment so it was a MechJeb problem and not actually a problem with my craft so that's a load off my mind.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:01 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

@Pak Ignore the issue I reported above. Apparently the solution was as simple as reinstalling CA, and after that the dV system started recognising the OMS like any other engine.

I found out that the problem is in the .craft file.

Assembling a new shuttle manually solves that.

Edit: Forget that. The issue is with the Toelle engine.  The moment I add it to the shuttle, the DV was gone

Edited by FellipeC

On 1/21/2019 at 7:37 PM, FellipeC said:

I found out that the problem is in the .craft file.

Assembling a new shuttle manually solves that.

Edit: Forget that. The issue is with the Toelle engine.  The moment I add it to the shuttle, the DV was gone

I started to debug why the Toelle engine mess with the DV calculations.

Here what I found: For some reason, the Delta-V part of the Kerbal can't see the Toelle as an engine part. It says "No Active Engines in Stage." as you can see in the screenshot below.

https://imgur.com/a/ecFevRV

I compared the .CFG files CA_STME and SSME from Squad and found no obvious part missing... I wonder what the 1.6 need to recognize the Toelle as a proper engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.