Pak

[1.7.1] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Recommended Posts

@Pak Hey! I was wondering if there are plans to add a tile extension piece? For those of us that want to make a more customized longer or shorter shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did someone say RTLS abort? What about RTLS abort without wings :wink:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EleSigma said:

@Pak Hey! I was wondering if there are plans to add a tile extension piece? For those of us that want to make a more customized longer or shorter shuttle.

Yep. Have a WIP picture of the sizes on the previous page

On 6/4/2016 at 7:13 AM, trooperMNG said:

From DENQ thread (Energia project v1.5A / MIR V4)

This could be interesting @Pak

I like it. Looks like my nose could still fit over it too

On 6/5/2016 at 4:54 AM, Grunf911 said:

 

@Pak also one small request. Can you make sure Cormorant plays well with Engineering tech tree:

...for progression's sake

I don't really know what that is but I can try.

 

Thanks Max_42. Keep on spacein'

 

Things are moving along. The shuttle butts and extended panels are in and I'm checking them out. 

Need a little nose retexture and the Buran bits will be done too. Did the Aft RCS today.

Forgot about it but I raised the docking port on the airlock as well. I goofed when I was messing with the original model and lowered it after I had measured it out so the port would be close to the windows. It fits better with the different PMAs that are out there too.

dyouByf.png?2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Did someone say RTLS abort? What about RTLS abort without wings :wink:

 

By chance, do you use the SSMEs for the roll program or do you do it some other way? I remember hearing on someone's stream that the SRB gimbals execute the roll program on the actual shuttle and that's why it didn't deviate too far from its velocity vector when rolling. On lift off, the SRBs generated the most thrust. The SSMEs existed on liftoff to make sure the torque on the vehicle due to the offset CoM was essentially zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spartan-S63 said:

By chance, do you use the SSMEs for the roll program or do you do it some other way? I remember hearing on someone's stream that the SRB gimbals execute the roll program on the actual shuttle and that's why it didn't deviate too far from its velocity vector when rolling. On lift off, the SRBs generated the most thrust. The SSMEs existed on liftoff to make sure the torque on the vehicle due to the offset CoM was essentially zero.

I think the best way to answer that question would be to say the SSMEs were used, but I didn't mean for them to be used. It was a test flight after all :P You're quite right, the SRBs do conduct the roll program afaik, I just hadn't set up my actuation control for that particular flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pak said:

I don't really know what that is but I can try.

It's basically an alternative tech tree that requires much more science to be collected than the stock, and it has also many more nodes. I am no expert on it, but if it is anything like ADIOS tech tree that i was modifying for 0.90, then you should just be careful to spread parts to their relevant research nodes, or even better, check one of the mods that is recommended and supporting it and check their ModuleManager configs for tech tree i suppose. Or, alternatively spread parts across stock nodes and contact author to add your parts as well :-). That worked when i asked him to add some other mods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pak said:

Need a little nose retexture and the Buran bits will be done too. Did the Aft RCS today.

Dude, you rock!

I should've been following the thread, I was just trying to hack together my own Buran textures last night. :D

Looking forward to the new parts!

Apu8kQK.png

 

Edited by Chris P. Bacon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks legit :-). While we are on the subject:

 

Edited by Grunf911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grunf911 said:

Looks legit :-). While we are on the subject:

 

I noticed this on your last shuttle too... but that rear tail flap isnt attached properly to the orbiter... it should be flush with the lifting body... try attaching it without angle snap turned on...

Edited by Avalon304

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

I noticed this on your last shuttle too... but that rear tail flap isnt attached properly to the orbiter... it should be flush with the lifting body... try attaching it without angle snap turned on...

Thx for warning, will check it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway for you shuttle lovers, there is a mod that i just found that would complement this one pretty nicely:

I have noticed some bugs if you use IR presets, but overall looks kinda nice and works well with Cormorant :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grunf911 said:

Anyway for you shuttle lovers, there is a mod that i just found that would complement this one pretty nicely:

I have noticed some bugs if you use IR presets, but overall looks kinda nice and works well with Cormorant :-)

I've been having quite a lot of success with it recently!

If you're looking for the arm to automatically position itself using the presets, try using IR Sequencer instead. Slightly daunting, but it works :) 

Setting up the maneuver:

 

Trying it out in space!

FhEBZ2s.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

If you're looking for the arm to automatically position itself using the presets, try using IR Sequencer instead. Slightly daunting, but it works :) 

does IR sequencer work in KSP 1.1.2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, StevieC said:

does IR sequencer work in KSP 1.1.2?

It's a Beta, with a few bugs, but yep - that's all 1.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MrMeeb i cant seem to install your craft file for your shuttle, i have all the mods and when i install it comes up with a downloads tab with open and save, when i press open, it blinks away and its back to the tab, same thing with the save

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

@MrMeeb i cant seem to install your craft file for your shuttle, i have all the mods and when i install it comes up with a downloads tab with open and save, when i press open, it blinks away and its back to the tab, same thing with the save

Hmm, not sure what's happening there. Either way, it's a fault with KerbalX most likely, so it's out of my control. Sorry. Have you tried a different browser? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Hmm, not sure what's happening there. Either way, it's a fault with KerbalX most likely, so it's out of my control. Sorry. Have you tried a different browser? 

i open kerbal x using chrome, then when i download it auto goes to explorer then the whole blinky thing happens, ill look into it tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

i open kerbal x using chrome, then when i download it auto goes to explorer then the whole blinky thing happens, ill look into it tomorrow

Okay! Pinging @katateochi for any potential advice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Okay! Pinging @katateochi for any potential advice 

Hi! I'm not clear what's happening here, can you give me some more info (send me a PM if you don't want to go OT on this thread).  One thing I can suggest might be the problem is that KerbalX blocks access to downloading tools (craft can only be downloaded by a human directly clicking on the link, this is to block bots which were downloading craft), if there are any browser extensions which manage downloads by following links for you they won't pass the right security token to access the download.  Being sent to explorer is odd, is it that the .craft file is actually downloaded, but then explorer is trying to open the craft file (ie .craft has been associated with explorer.exe)? can you give me more info about what the "blinky thing" is!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, katateochi said:

Hi! I'm not clear what's happening here, can you give me some more info (send me a PM if you don't want to go OT on this thread).  One thing I can suggest might be the problem is that KerbalX blocks access to downloading tools (craft can only be downloaded by a human directly clicking on the link, this is to block bots which were downloading craft), if there are any browser extensions which manage downloads by following links for you they won't pass the right security token to access the download.  Being sent to explorer is odd, is it that the .craft file is actually downloaded, but then explorer is trying to open the craft file (ie .craft has been associated with explorer.exe)? can you give me more info about what the "blinky thing" is!?

As a closing note for my involvement before handing this over to you, I just downloaded the craft on Chrome no problem :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

As a closing note for my involvement before handing this over to you, I just downloaded the craft on Chrome no problem :) 

ok, I'll send @SpaceBadger007 a PM about it. I also just tried downloading your craft and it worked ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm okay with this. It'll be on a mesh switch for the normal nose. Almost forgot about the Buran bubble/engine mount thing so I'm working on that. 

KLVSCgR.png?1

 

On 6/6/2016 at 5:12 PM, Chris P. Bacon said:

Dude, you rock!

I should've been following the thread, I was just trying to hack together my own Buran textures last night. :D

Looking forward to the new parts!

Good effort though. I pretty much did the same thing

 

On 6/3/2016 at 7:52 PM, Avalon304 said:

retexture of the Mk.3 cockpit itself to remove the grey area and replace it with a black heattile texture?

I could package an alternate texture so you could manually replace the stock texture. That would avoid the compatability issues of making my own version of a cockpit with mesh switcher. Maybe one for the Buran windows too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small piece of constructive criticism about the Buran cockpit texture. Observe this photograph of the Buran orbiter's nose.bburan27.jpg

You will note that unlike its American predecessor, the panel in the centerline, separating the dual windscreen sections on Buran is white. If this isn't feasible to implement, I understand, but I merely wanted to provide a heads-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pak said:

I think I'm okay with this. It'll be on a mesh switch for the normal nose. Almost forgot about the Buran bubble/engine mount thing so I'm working on that. 

KLVSCgR.png?1

@Pak - Awesome work, like StevieC said if you could make space between 2 windows white that would totally sell it as Buran.  I am really excited for this mod.

Allow me to see if i can pitch in regarding the Engineering tech tree. With your permission, i will take a look at your parts, and see if i can provide a config so it integrates in the ETT: 

My only request if possible is double check that all parts come from the same manufacturer: cormorant aeronology or something. Its not a hard requirement though, just it will be simpler for me to isolate parts.

I will let you know when i am done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.