[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

8 minutes ago, Grunf911 said:

Hi @Pak,

*video snip*

Made a new video on how to make a Buran with Energia (using Cormorant aeronology and AB launchers). Enjoy:

You should consider Mr Meeb's Shuttle Payload Technologies for the extended cargo bay (which is closer to the proper length for a Shuttle/Buran), as well as slightly sized up wings and flaps. Mr. Meeb's wing is the bottom one, and its hard to see but the small strake is positioned above the bigger one on the rear section of the shuttle. Additionally you can see the extended cargobay (called the CRG-150, instead of the stock CRG-100), with its radiators on the doors and the interior testure.

Also when you attached the shuttle airlock, it was attached 180* flipped. If you turn it around, the truss work will line up with the lip of the cargo bay.

Additionally with the tail plane, you should be able to place the tail plane so its flush with the bottom of the lifting body without having to use the move gizmo, you just have to rotate it once and then try placing it near the bottom of the shuttle body. You already noticed the tail issue (having to invert one of the rudders to properly split open). (The screenshot didn capture my mouse, but it was pretty much where the red dot is).

Also, this doesnt matter so much, but the Mk. 3 cockpit is given a few new textures with CA, including a Buran one.

Great vid though!

9 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Also when you attached the shuttle airlock, it was attached 180* flipped. If you turn it around, the truss work will line up with the lip of the cargo bay.

Lol, silly me, thx for noticing :-). I was wondering why it did not line up.

Also had no idea about the body flap, thx for that

9 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Also, this doesnt matter so much, but the Mk. 3 cockpit is given a few new textures with CA, including a Buran one.

Hmm, I am pretty sure i used this one (notice white RCS nozzles - shuttles' ones are black, but for some reason the windows still got the black spot over them which would suggest shuttle).

Ill double check it.

Thx for comments and suggestions

7 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

@Grunf911 , also, same texturechange can be done with your stock cargobay. :wink: 

edit: the stock (yellow), cargobay side of the cockpit, refences to the stock paintjob. So I think you didn't use it

Yea i noticed it later when i was reviewing the craft prior to actually flying it when recording my new Season 2 that will air next week

7 minutes ago, Grunf911 said:

Lol, silly me, thx for noticing :-). I was wondering why it did not line up.

Also had no idea about the body flap, thx for that

Hmm, I am pretty sure i used this one (notice white RCS nozzles - shuttles' ones are black, but for some reason the windows still got the black spot over them which would suggest shuttle).

Ill double check it.

Thx for comments and suggestions

Yea, the airlock spawns the wrong way around for some reason, it catches me every so often too. (Also you can right click it and get an extended version, which after its properly attached can be moved with the move gizmo to move its further into the cargobay).

You used the Buran nose, but the cockpit itself also has textures (right click on the cockpit itself and you can get Stock, Shuttle and Buran textures for it). And yes, I would wholly reccomend Shuttle Payload Technologies by Mr. Meeb, will give your Buran proper scale on its launcher.

16 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Hi, this pack is awesome, but how do I fit the MMU into it's cradle?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean. In the VAB there's the attach nodes (hold alt to help snap to the nodes) and in flight both parts act as docking port jrs.

4 hours ago, Grunf911 said:

Made a new video on how to make a Buran. 

Nice. Keep up the good work. 

All the Aero and other values are being redone for 1.2 and to get ready for my stack parts. So expect some big performance changes. Depending on when 1.2 drops I'll try to get the Aero update in with compatability and the EDO pack.

Hey guys,

Some pictures of things.

Here's everything that's waiting in the wings for the EDO pack. Not the most exciting update but I like it.

Left to right - MMU rack E, MMU rack (replacing old rack), EDO pallet, Reserve fuel tank, Kerbalism food box

T5dbHSZ.png?1

And the current state of the stack. 

The ET will have painted and orange foam mesh switching, this is some base layers of the painted one.

7waDwY8.jpg?1

And a new engine I'm working on. The re-balance of the shuttle will be using 2.5t engines. The stock 4t vectors are just too heavy to deal with and are a more powerful than we need anyway, so this guy was made.

It's inspired by the STME which was a plan to reduce the cost of the SSMEs and increase production for use in other lifters. In my little world it is a stripped down, lower thrust, cheaper vector.

JG8KX9G.png?1

19 minutes ago, Pak said:

Hey guys,

Some pictures of things.

Here's everything that's waiting in the wings for the EDO pack. Not the most exciting update but I like it.

Left to right - MMU rack E, MMU rack (replacing old rack), EDO pallet, Reserve fuel tank, Kerbalism food box

T5dbHSZ.png?1

And the current state of the stack. 

The ET will have painted and orange foam mesh switching, this is some base layers of the painted one.

7waDwY8.jpg?1

And a new engine I'm working on. The re-balance of the shuttle will be using 2.5t engines. The stock 4t vectors are just too heavy to deal with and are a more powerful than we need anyway, so this guy was made.

It's inspired by the STME which was a plan to reduce the cost of the SSMEs and increase production for use in other lifters. In my little world it is a stripped down, lower thrust, cheaper vector.

JG8KX9G.png?1

Will these be scaled for a stock Mk. 3 shuttle or Mr. Meeb's CRG-150?

32 minutes ago, StevieC said:

I wish there were a way to change the fuel-tanks of the "Big-S" wings from just liquid-fuel to make them carry monoprop, LFO, or just liquid fuel or just oxidizer or even LH2+Ox

You can change the resources in the config. files

1 hour ago, DrLicor said:

You can change the resources in the config. files

If the real shuttle did this, it'd be nice if this or SPT did that.

Otherwise, WOW on those new parts. I'm so disproportionately happy about the painted tank you wouldn't believe. To say these models look better than DIRECT would be an understatement.

For the engines, I'm curious as to how they'd look when textured. I am curious why you didn't just include a config edit for the Vector, but, hey, IRL the shuttle had several SSME versions. Since it's cheaper, it might be good for a Shuttle C, but anything that makes the shuttle fly better is good in my book.

Here's to being as stable as the KSO!

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

2 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

@Pak, maybe after you finish Shuttle 2, would you consider maybe making Shuttle-C parts?

That would pretty much be... like just a nose cone wouldnt it, since Shuttle-C pretty much used the existing boatail, SSMEs, ET and SRBs...

10 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

That would pretty much be... like just a nose cone wouldnt it, since Shuttle-C pretty much used the existing boatail, SSMEs, ET and SRBs...

Pretty much. And for Saturn-Shuttle, I meant the fly-back S-1C variant, which would basically be big wings for the S-1C. 

Got wrapped up working on the ET a bit. I'm starting to like where it's going.

I have a pretty big backlog of texturing to do, but I've been doing some game testing on a good portion of the stack and I'm pretty happy with it.

EDO pack is pretty much ready to go once 1.2 and the firespitter updates hit. My shuttle rebalance is (just barely) stable using Vectors, so I'll probably add that in too. I'll go into more detail about that once it's closer to ready.

YSr7dYr.png

Still messing with the values but I have a thrust curve working on the SRBs. Looking forward to getting all this stuff tuned 

9HmCgan.png

8 hours ago, Pak said:

Got wrapped up working on the ET a bit. I'm starting to like where it's going.

I have a pretty big backlog of texturing to do, but I've been doing some game testing on a good portion of the stack and I'm pretty happy with it.

EDO pack is pretty much ready to go once 1.2 and the firespitter updates hit. My shuttle rebalance is (just barely) stable using Vectors, so I'll probably add that in too. I'll go into more detail about that once it's closer to ready.

YSr7dYr.png

Still messing with the values but I have a thrust curve working on the SRBs. Looking forward to getting all this stuff tuned 

9HmCgan.png

Sweet! HYPE SHUTTLE TO THE KSS :0.0:

btw @Pak will there be energia boosters and ET?

Edited by Noah_Blade

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.