[1.1.3] BDArmory FPS - A BDArmory Expansion - 0.4 (9-10-16)

V8jester

Oh, I'm totally going to be using this in my story.

Those Javelins are going to be important. I may have missed something, but can they track? Would I be able to get a config form BD Armory if they don't?

14 hours ago, DMSP said:

Oh, I'm totally going to be using this in my story.

Those Javelins are going to be important. I may have missed something, but can they track? Would I be able to get a config form BD Armory if they don't?

Hi, yes  the mini hellfire will track to target selection, it is however quite fiddly to use, KIS attachment methods not being ideal but with a bit of practice it's bearable. 

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Hi all, Some of you may be aware that it is is now possible to add modules to  EVA kerbals via a module manager cfg.  This obviously deserved an investigation to see if it could be utilised for BD FPS.  The obvious module choice for us are those included in the back pack, so i started with module missile fire , which as you may know is actually the main controlling module for most of BDAc and vital to the functioning of every weapon on or off Kerbin ( not talking stock kinetic type weapons for any pedants looking in)  As a straight forward module implant there's nothing fancy about the patch, nothing special needs to be done elsewhere. So having loaded all the most angry militant kerbs i could find into a transport i took them off to the range.  First test, weapon selection and activation, just like the good old days a click on the weapon toggle and it activates and fires no problem at all, but the first snag,  rapidly diminishing ammo. 

You may not know how sensitive Kerbs are to weight distribution, but take our word for it they are, and the symptoms can been seen in the current release with the AT4's in particular, because they are quite heavy (the weapons) you will notice that the Kerbal slowly starts to rotate , and with this rotation it can be tricky to keep a bead on the target. the point I'm getting at is that  we removed most of the ammo From the weapons and transferred it all to the WM back pack, as the weight is central it's not a problem, and is also the reason that pretty much everything uses the mods own FPS ammo as all other ammo is way too heavy to be carried on a Kerbal.   So yeah snag one, yes you can fire a gun now without a backpack BUT you run out of ammo, and adding ammo to the Kerbal via another MM patch is not good for the reasons described above.

While all this is happening SM HQ is like a war zone, as I'm also working on Boomsticks and PEW, and my tank  mod, so i start testing it all together.    Next issue guard mode in 1.2 is currently completely as far as i can tell broken, Kerbs from team A will not fire on team B Kerbs or vehicles or aircraft.   Never mind i can likely have a word with the BDAc team and find out why it's not playing nice.  

Next up the elephant in the room that long term modders and users of BDAc know about  already., that is if you have more than one weapon manager per craft things can get very bad , the code hates it, the AI hates it, because, as the craft is launched ALL the WM's are started regardless of which one you use, they are all to some degree interacting with the code.  SO what happens when you have a tank with a crew of four patched up Kerbals in a tank that carries a WM already, nothing, the AI glitches the animations twitch and nothing.  there's you can do apart from if the vehicle is remotely pilotable,  then get the crew out, and as if by magic the tanks starts dropping shells.

SO that's the lot, there's no advantage to fitting a WM to a Kerbal via MM because it just screws with the whole BDA/Kis/BDFPS interaction, (which has never been awesome)  and thus defeats the reason for trying it in the first place.   

tldr

I know, but if you didn't ,this isn't a summary, :P so don't ask about it, as it'll be the sound of crickets coming back rather than a reply .

Random testing image

rXfvQF9.png

clarity typos

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, njmksr said:

True.

But say I have a model of an AR I want to make, what are the modules that this mod provides?

There is nothing that sets any fps weapon apart from a standard BDAc turret apart from the minuscule size,  if you can make working turrets you can make FPS weapons. simples :)

All FPS does is provide parts to fit kerbals, no special modules or other plugins, everything needed for FPS code wise comes either from BDAc or KIS

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

There is nothing that sets any fps weapon apart from a standard BDAc turret apart from the minuscule size,  if you can make working turrets you can make FPS weapons. simples :)

All FPS does is provide parts to fit kerbals, no special modules or other plugins, everything needed for FPS code wise comes either from BDAc or KIS

K. Thanks!

@SpannerMonkey(smce), what is the size an AR should be (in length) for a Kerbal?

Edited by njmksr

3 hours ago, njmksr said:

what is the size an AR should be (in length) for a Kerbal?

I'd say not having measured one for a while,  somewhere between 450 and 600mm total length,  do not be too worried about the scale, but remember that Kerbs are 800mm tall and their body proportions are not human like , and in some ways it's partly decided by how it looks , for reference I'd use the M16 from the pack as that is more or less what you'll need to end up with.  The ultimate snagette is that longer weapons have to be scaled smaller than shorter ones, and this tends to make them look a bit skinny , see below, note how much more butch the skorpian looks compared to the rifle types esp the 74, and one of the reasons I've resisted adding any longer sniper type stuff, it just looks daft :)

FToRWAr.png

• 4 weeks later...

Important notice to users and creators of FPS weapons

Due to the changes to Kerbals in KSP 1.2.1, put in place by Squad in order to prevent bad interactions between colliders such as wheels, kerbals are now immune to direct weapon effects , they can no longer be shot or blown up, any injury a kerbals sustains is now only caused by another part striking a kerbal or the Kerbal hitting the ground. 

This has affected every BDAc weapon type, and i mean everything , I ran a series of tests to find the complete extent of the problem and the new Kerbals can even stand a direct hit from a 500lb bomb, a 155mm cannon at point blank range and  rockets and missiles pass right through them .

What this means for BD FPS, quite simply that until further notice all development has stopped and even though I've posted an issue to BDAc this problem is very low on the priority list and the  BDAc team  is not  likely to be able to engineer a fix.  I know it's not the case but Squad couldn't have done a better job at stamping out kerb on Kerb combat if they'd tried. 

The real annoyance for me is that it worked fine in 1.2 and pre release, so I'd made new items based on those findings, which now like all the other parts in the pack are pretty much obsolete, yes they can after a million shots damage a vehicle, but why bother when there's an unholy range of weapons available for every other purpose.

I'll be asking @V8jester to lock the thread as there's no point filling it up with known issues we cannot do anything about.  It was fun while it lasted though and not the first mod to be properly killed by an update .. 

Taking the above into consideration I would strongly advise anyone thinking of creating FPS weapons to stop now and not waste anymore time on the project .  Should the situation change (doubtful) We'll reopen the thread and continue where we left off

See below video demo of the indestructible Kerbals.

Spoiler

On December 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Important notice to users and creators of FPS weapons

Due to the changes to Kerbals in KSP 1.2.1, put in place by Squad in order to prevent bad interactions between colliders such as wheels, kerbals are now immune to direct weapon effects , they can no longer be shot or blown up, any injury a kerbals sustains is now only caused by another part striking a kerbal or the Kerbal hitting the ground. 

This has affected every BDAc weapon type, and i mean everything , I ran a series of tests to find the complete extent of the problem and the new Kerbals can even stand a direct hit from a 500lb bomb, a 155mm cannon at point blank range and  rockets and missiles pass right through them .

What this means for BD FPS, quite simply that until further notice all development has stopped and even though I've posted an issue to BDAc this problem is very low on the priority list and the  BDAc team  is not  likely to be able to engineer a fix.  I know it's not the case but Squad couldn't have done a better job at stamping out kerb on Kerb combat if they'd tried. 

The real annoyance for me is that it worked fine in 1.2 and pre release, so I'd made new items based on those findings, which now like all the other parts in the pack are pretty much obsolete, yes they can after a million shots damage a vehicle, but why bother when there's an unholy range of weapons available for every other purpose.

I'll be asking @V8jester to lock the thread as there's no point filling it up with known issues we cannot do anything about.  It was fun while it lasted though and not the first mod to be properly killed by an update .. 

Taking the above into consideration I would strongly advise anyone thinking of creating FPS weapons to stop now and not waste anymore time on the project .  Should the situation change (doubtful) We'll reopen the thread and continue where we left off

See below video demo of the indestructible Kerbals.

Hide contents

:(

56 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Well the good news is we always have helemts!

Right?

Anyone?

No?

Yeah we got helmets, well helmet anyway, and the coders at BDAc team HQ tell me that they reckon they maybe able to detect a hit on or if there should be a hit on a kerbal, so we'll see what happens but considering the other tasks in progress it's fairly new and fairly low on the list, so  don't go holding your breath :P  and I still reckon the below is one of my all time favourite screenies. only possible through this mod

WRalyV9.png

PS why no more helmets. a/   they're are really annoying to do.  b/ they're even more annoying to get right

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Vonnmillard said:

I wish there will be Machine Guns, even the Ultimax 100 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimax_100 )

Hi, there are, however no further development will be carried out until and if the issue of invulnerable Kerbals is rectified.   The nature of Kerbal anatomy severely limits the weapons that can be used  and look right.  Long barrelled and slender weapons look totally out or proportion and imo ridiculous. I've tried various other designs of weapon and the current included types are those I've found to be in proportion, and readily mounted.  But as I say irrelevant as they no longer do the job they were created to do, so in short FPS is obsolete.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:12 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, there are, however no further development will be carried out until and if the issue of invulnerable Kerbals is rectified.   The nature of Kerbal anatomy severely limits the weapons that can be used  and look right.  Long barrelled and slender weapons look totally out or proportion and imo ridiculous. I've tried various other designs of weapon and the current included types are those I've found to be in proportion, and readily mounted.  But as I say irrelevant as they no longer do the job they were created to do, so in short FPS is obsolete.

Hi Spanner.

As we all know, they can die, if we crush them, that means they can die by kinetic energy, rigth?

Cant you guys somehow change the way handheld guns work in BD Armory? Like limiting the firerate of the guns, and making each bullet have mass, and hit the kerbals that way? 

3 hours ago, HunHarcos said:

Hi Spanner.

As we all know, they can die, if we crush them, that means they can die by kinetic energy, rigth?

Cant you guys somehow change the way handheld guns work in BD Armory? Like limiting the firerate of the guns, and making each bullet have mass, and hit the kerbals that way? 

I have this mod working, I increased the temperature on the FPS portfolio, and added thermal conductivity to it.

mass = 0.4
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.2
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 30
    maxTemp = 5600
bulkheadProfiles = srf
    tags = cool fixed heat moderat radiat static temperat therm
    emissiveConstant = 0.90
    heatConductivity = 10.10 //They have built in insulators
    thermalMassModifier = 5
    radiatorHeadroom = 0.75
    skinInternalConductionMult = 2000
fuelCrossFeed = True

bullet falling into the briefcase (5600), transfers a part of the heat to kerbalu (800)!!! chanje cfg files.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

would still love to have this mod because

Hi, the link still works , I checked,  BUT as of the next full release of BDA it'll be dead. AS things in the cfg's will change, a lot, too much for it to be of any use past 1.3.0

There is a light at the end of the tunnel but , as always it may  be a train coming,  so there's still the faintest glimmer of hope that a way has been found once again to make the weapons more than ornaments.  Although even then inside knowledge tells me that there's a whole new can of worms to be opened when it comes to re-balancing them for appropriate levels of damage

The guys thank you for your support

.Cheers

2g9fx1l.png

On 10/16/2017 at 6:14 PM, shooty boomy said:

light at the end of a tunnel could be a train,

usually is.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:16 PM, shooty boomy said:

Also what mod did you use for the truck in the background?

that truck is now, available in SM AFVS

3 hours ago, guesswho2778 said:

apart from not killing kerbals will this mod still work

for now yes and with the current BDA, it's very unlikely that it will work after the next , following Radar release,  release of BDA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.