[1.1.3] BDArmory FPS - A BDArmory Expansion - 0.4 (9-10-16)

V8jester

Ok so the weapon manager can be put into a gun. You just need to have a source of electricity. I used the module from an RTG so you don't get a power bar on the gun's right click menu. Also you don't need to worry about energy issues. And when I used the weapon manager on the hand held targeting pod. It would relay the coordinates to the missile fired from the rail on the Kerbal's back, as well as other crafts. So you could lase a target with a kerbal and shoot at said target from a drone. There where accuracy issues with the rescaled missile though, but I believe that was due to messing with the scale and engine output from the missile. I haven't managed to rebalanced that yet. But I believe if you where to say use that hand held pod and then equip a gun to the kerbals back (or any other open equipment slot) then you should be able to slave that gun to the targeting pod and weapon manager. I believe that BDArmory recognizes a kerbal as a ship.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, Thank you Lordprometheus for taking care of everybody as much as you have been. Really appreciate everything.

ok im confused. Are you saying there already is a way to guard mode the kerbals?

Just that I successfully placed the weapon manager in another part :)

I have not tried guard mode yet. But lasing a target with the hand held targeting pod works the same as it would with a plane equipped with a targeting pod and a weapon manager. And the rescaled hellfire attached to the missile rail tracks the target you set just doesn't hit dead center like it should due to rescaling the hellfire.

Look at the cfg for the hand held targeting pod, That should have what you're after.

Just that I successfully placed the weapon manager in another part :)

I have not tried guard mode yet. But lasing a target with the hand held targeting pod works the same as it would with a plane equipped with a targeting pod and a weapon manager. And the rescaled hellfire attached to the missile rail tracks the target you set just doesn't hit dead center like it should due to rescaling the hellfire.

Look at the cfg for the hand held targeting pod, That should have what you're after.

Think is I'm not really looking to attack with them.

Im looking them for them to be used like base defense.

For example…

If Im flying a helicopter, I want the kerbals to use something like mini gun too try to attack me on their own.

I would not have the slightest idea of how to do that.

I never seem to have enough time these days :P I swear at some point I promise to dive in and help a bit more

So to add radar to the Kerbal. I was thinking of adding a weapon manager to a gun or "Backpack" by copying the module as well as adding the radar module from the BD nosecone. And lastly the module from an RTG

Radar

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRadar
omnidirectional = false
scanRotationSpeed = 120
directionalFieldOfView = 120
lockRotationAngle = 4
canRecieveRadarData = true
minSignalThreshold = 200
rwrThreatType = 1
}

Weapon Manager

MODULE
{
name = MissileFire
}
MODULE
{
name = RadarWarningReceiver
}

RTG

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.75
}
}

Alright guess I'm making a backpack now...

Hey before you spend too much time on a new model. Let me try and carve out some time tonight to play with this idea. I'm intrigued too. And we may end up just adding the Weapon Manager Module to the guns to make this work? Let me know your thoughts on that one. If all goes well and the wife's new cat didn't eat my power supply cable ;) I should be in business.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides your handy work deserves more of my time. As I still need to dive into that last MK.19 you sent me.

Edited by V8jester

Ok, I just tried it and it works :) I added the Weapon manager to a 20mm ammo box. As well as an RTG generator and an awacs radar. Slave the turret held by the Kerbal. Assign teams. And poof! works like a charm. now more extensive testing and balancing will need to be done. But the idea is sound.

Nice Idea War Eagle!

Ok, I just tried it and it works :) I added the Weapon manager to a 20mm ammo box. As well as an RTG generator and an awacs radar. Slave the turret held by the Kerbal. Assign teams. And poof! works like a charm. now more extensive testing and balancing will need to be done. But the idea is sound.

Nice Idea War Eagle!

Thanks man. Cant wait to see the next update. If it works well me and a group of you tubers will try to include it into a military series we are doing.

I'm working on a couple of things LordPrometheus sent me a while back and I'm fairly close to an update. I wanted to see how you guys felt about C.A.L.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135344-WIP-1-0-4-C-A-L-BDArmory-Community-Ammunition-Library

Yes / No - And why.

I like the idea of additional ammo but I also worry about the overhead of 11 new ammo boxes as well as further mod dependencies. Also bare in mind everything for BD FPS will occupy both the KIS item Tab as well as the BDArmory Item Tab in the VAB. Also every ammo box is duplicated using the standard model rescaled to a backpack size model. It's possible we could see like 28 ammo boxes.... This could be very confusing to new comers.

That's a lot of extra parts unless we find a way to narrow the list with a new tab (No idea how we can manage that)

If you guys like the idea then I am here to please. Just wanted to get your take.

Edited by V8jester

I'm working on a couple of things LordPrometheus sent me a while back and I'm fairly close to an update. I wanted to see how you guys felt about C.A.L.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135344-WIP-1-0-4-C-A-L-BDArmory-Community-Ammunition-Library

Yes / No - And why.

I like the idea of additional ammo but I also worry about the overhead of 11 new ammo boxes as well as further mod dependencies. Also bare in mind everything for BD FPS will occupy both the KIS item Tab as well as the BDArmory Item Tab in the VAB. Also every ammo box is duplicated using the standard model rescaled to a backpack size model. It's possible we could see like 28 ammo boxes.... This could be very confusing to new comers.

That's a lot of extra parts unless we find a way to narrow the list with a new tab (No idea how we can manage that)

If you guys like the idea then I am here to please. Just wanted to get your take.

that would be your call. Both have pros and cons.

If anything defenlty get this mod past 3 alpha release before considering that

Also LordPrometheus. I have permission from Locob for us to use his models from Pro Props. And I believe I have the files necessary to replicate the blaster visual and audio for the E11 Storm trooper blaster. Would it be a big deal to extract and rework the blaster and any other gun you feel like using from Pro Props? Might save you some modeling time.

Now if we do use CAL. We will need modified versions of the cfg files for the backpack ammo. This means that FPS wouldn't be using the regular version of CAL. So weather or not we use it, all the FPS stuff is kind of it's own deal unfortunately. And all the ammo boxes currently occupy the fuel tab, BDArmory tab and the KIS tab. Due to the way the plugin identification works for the tabs I don't see how to avoid that yet, since we are using a resource, a KIS plugin and a BDArmory Plugin. I absolutely love the idea of standardizing things (especially ammo) so you don't have more mods than you really need especially for those with slower computers or 32bit installs. My only concern is we will have so many duplicate ammo boxes filling multiple tabs. I won't shoot you down on this one as I consider FPS to be a group effort. So my decision won't be final on anything. But lets give this one some thought.

War Eagle 1, Pm'ed me a few ideas which I think hold some merit.

Adding a weapon manager to all the weapons - While this detracts from the modular nature of BDArmory. I think this will be the most streamlined approach to get the functionality we are after without making the Kerbals look like something like Dolph Lundgren From Universal Soldier.

The Backpack Nuke - this one will probably wait until we can find a better way of making a really big boom. Using the BD warhead plugin makes it act like nitro. Un equip it and it explodes "kinda". Re equip it and it explodes for real.

Using the KIS Bomb module is nice because you get a timer, but bad because it automatically defaults to a 10m blast radius is unless you click a million times to get to a 1000m blast radius.

Surface to Air Missile - I like this idea and we might even be able to either use a BD Missile or a PEW missile for this depending on how L.P's thoughts.

Parachutes - I think I will leave that for another mod. There's Vanguard Tech which already adds parachutes to the Kerbals.

I would recommend against adding weapons managers to any weapon not specifically for this mod. For example dont put one on my stinger instead put one on a stinger missile tube ill make. Every weapons manager you add uses extra resources so minimizing the number is ideal. Maybe the bomb situation can be solved via combining kis and a BDArmory warhead. If the KIS blast imparts impact damage it can be used as a trigger for a BDArmory warhead. If it acts as a delete maybe another solution can be found

- - - Updated - - -

As for pro props I can set up the blaster but would prefer to make my own models for other weapons it makes things easier on my end and way more fun

Once I get R-12 of PEW out I'll start with the small arms and if possible a few Mounted MGs a mortar (not guaranteed) and a TOW that can be setup. This relies on the ability to have an anchored part with an attatchemnt node on it. Thrown grenades are out as far as I know but I can make rockets and standalone grenade launchers like the M203 (the non rifle mounted version) if a kerbal tactical vest is possible we can use Interstellar Fuel switch for ammo types.

Edited by LORDPrometheus

War Eagle 1, Pm'ed me a few ideas which I think hold some merit.

Adding a weapon manager to all the weapons - While this detracts from the modular nature of BDArmory. I think this will be the most streamlined approach to get the functionality we are after without making the Kerbals look like something like Dolph Lundgren From Universal Soldier.

The Backpack Nuke - this one will probably wait until we can find a better way of making a really big boom. Using the BD warhead plugin makes it act like nitro. Un equip it and it explodes "kinda". Re equip it and it explodes for real.

Using the KIS Bomb module is nice because you get a timer, but bad because it automatically defaults to a 10m blast radius is unless you click a million times to get to a 1000m blast radius.

Surface to Air Missile - I like this idea and we might even be able to either use a BD Missile or a PEW missile for this depending on how L.P's thoughts.

Parachutes - I think I will leave that for another mod. There's Vanguard Tech which already adds parachutes to the Kerbals.

The only reason I suggested parachutes is because while i know there is Vanguard Tech some people (like myself) can only run so many mods

I would recommend against adding weapons managers to any weapon not specifically for this mod. For example dont put one on my stinger instead put one on a stinger missile tube ill make. Every weapons manager you add uses extra resources so minimizing the number is ideal. Maybe the bomb situation can be solved via combining kis and a BDArmory warhead. If the KIS blast imparts impact damage it can be used as a trigger for a BDArmory warhead. If it acts as a delete maybe another solution can be found

It wouldn't have to be for every weapon. Just the FPS ones.

Edited by War Eagle 1

Good point. I only Intended to insert the weapon manager into guns or missile launchers. No need to place it in a missile as it needs to be on the Kerbal, not the projectile fired from the Kerbal

The stinger missile tube would be a great addition! I wanted to eventually replace the hellfire / Missile Rail with a more permeant solution of a surface to air missile and a launcher.

The issue with using the BD Warhead ATM is it is very touchy. If you equip it to the Kerbal's back that works but as soon as you drop it, it explodes. Or if you un equip it. It makes and explosion sound and the visual's but nothing gets damaged. But as soon as you re equip it then it instantly explodes. - I will PM you a link so you can see what I mean

The only reason I suggested parachutes is because while i know there is Vanguard Tech some people (like myself) can only run so many mods...

Well I may tinker with this again. But I tried using an existing parachute rescaled and KIS-ified and it would instantly tear off the kerbal's back when deployed.... But I will look again when I have a chance.

Edited by V8jester

....As for pro props I can set up the blaster but would prefer to make my own models for other weapons it makes things easier on my end and way more fun

Once I get R-12 of PEW out I'll start with the small arms and if possible a few Mounted MGs a mortar (not guaranteed) and a TOW that can be setup. This relies on the ability to have an anchored part with an attatchemnt node on it. Thrown grenades are out as far as I know but I can make rockets and standalone grenade launchers like the M203 (the non rifle mounted version) if a kerbal tactical vest is possible we can use Interstellar Fuel switch for ammo types.

Sounds good I just didn't want to make your life any harder. Thanks for all the Help BTW.

And I like the idea of the fuel switcher but you really don't have control of an item like that when you place it in the kerbals inventory. You could place a vest on a ship like a part then grab it in flight maybe? But not place it with a chosen ammo type into the kerbals pre flight inventory. (But dangit I wish that would work! That would solve so many hurtles all at once)

I have a small suggestion, could you make a Davey Crockett that can be set up on the battlefield and carried piecemeal by kerbals to the firing position?

This may be outside of the scope of what we are building. I don't know though it may be conceivable to build decoys? Like a Kerbal manikin? Make for great video's. Setup static decoys around a plane for a bombing run? Might cut down on lag.

We will at least keep it in mind.

Edited by V8jester

The stinger missile tube would be a great addition! I wanted to eventually replace the hellfire / Missile Rail with a more permeant solution of a surface to air missile and a launcher.

If you are looking for surface to air. The stinger is your best choice. For handheld surface to surface, I would recommend the FGM-148 Javalin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.