Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

7 minutes ago, Canopus said:

That would be overkill. those are only Abort engines. 

That's what I thought.
But does it bring the useless abort motors to LEO, or uses enormous T/W to, say, deorbit?..

(As its RCS look like enough for deorbiting.)

Edited by kerbiloid

Just now, kerbiloid said:

That's what I thought.
But does it bring the useless abort motors to LEO, or uses enormous T/W to, say, deorbit?..

Both SpaceX and Boeing chose an Abort system that stays with the Capsule all the way to Orbit for some reason. But no i don‘t think these engines are ever used on a normal mission.

2 hours ago, Canopus said:

Both SpaceX and Boeing chose an Abort system that stays with the Capsule all the way to Orbit for some reason. But no i don‘t think these engines are ever used on a normal mission.

The reason is it eliminates another separation event. Tractor systems have to be jettisoned after they are not needed, and any failure in that system is a profound problem.

56 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Because reuseability.

Since SpaceX is now not going to fly Astronauts on reused Dragon 2s it is kinda pointless to have reusable Abort system.

1 minute ago, tater said:

The reason is it eliminates another separation event. Tractor systems have to be jettisoned after they are not needed, and any failure in that system is a profound problem.

true

1 minute ago, Canopus said:

Since SpaceX is now not going to fly Astronauts on reused Dragon 2s it is kinda pointless to have reusable Abort system.

I think they were talking about transitioning cargo to the new vehicle, and they might reuse them for some commercial stuff, if anyone wants to buy a ride.

5 minutes ago, Canopus said:

i‘d like to see the non NASA astronauts they are flying to space

I think space tourism is still on the table for SpaceX. Great way to make some quick cash before Starship comes. Its max capacity is 7, so 1 pilot and 6 tourists is doable. 

Let's say 1 full day in LEO without docking. Sounds fun. 

Edited by sh1pman

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

I think space tourism is still on the table for SpaceX. Great way to make some quick cash before Starship comes. Its max capacity is 7, so 1 pilot and 6 tourists is doable. 

Who would be the pilot? Do they train their own Astronauts?

Just now, Canopus said:

Virgin has their own astronauts-pilots, can't see why SpaceX won't be able to have their own. They'll have to anyway, for that Starship mission, Moonshot i think?

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

I don't know exactly who, but they've been training 2 NASA astronauts for Demo - 2, so they do have quite a bit of experience in that department. 

Spoiler

HaveSpaceSuitWillTravel_4554.jpg

They can sell it as a second-hand.
"A young but promising and dynamically developing space agency will buy or accept as a gift a used spaceship in good condition. Please call 555-..."

1 hour ago, tater said:

What pilot? Ripley?

NK would be interested, too.
Also, they could test limits of its reusability.

1 hour ago, tater said:

What pilot? Ripley?

And Fёdor. They are going to send him to ISS in 2021+, so they can marry.
https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://robo-sapiens.ru/stati/robot-fedor/

Edited by kerbiloid

The RS-88 engines can gimbal to angle through the vehicle COM so I think it is probably pretty likely that they can be used for changing orbit and deorbiting, though they may want to use RCS thrusters for more precision. 

The original RS-88s used LOX/ethanol but these have been modded to run on hypergolics. Boeing won't tell us what their Isp is because apparently they have ITAR heritage.

3 hours ago, Canopus said:

They will reuse Dragon 2s for cargo delivery, which means cargo will now have abort capability. Dragon 1 is officially deprecated; they will continue reflying reused Dragon 1s until they all retire.