Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

On 12/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, Codraroll said:

End of March 2021? That's almost four months into the future, so ... hang on, gotta check the table ...

If a space launch event is said to happen in ... ... it will most likely ...
 ... more than two years from now ...  ... never happen at all.
 ... 6-24 months from now ...  ... be delayed up to two years at a time.
 ... 1-6 months from now ...  ... be delayed by 50 %, relative to the date of the announcement.
 ... less than  1 month from now ...  ... be delayed up to two weeks at a time.

... mid-late May, then?

So announced 3-4 months from now means a delay to 5-6 months time. Sept-Oct time. Let's see if that's how it happens.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

So the US went from having no rides up the the ISS to having so many that they can't find room to park them all?

Pretty much, yeah.

Not sure what the options are for adding any ports quickly.

I can't find my old Kliban cartoon book, it had a few pages in a row.

Signs in space, 1 on a page...

"Space is Big"

"Space is dark"

"It's hard to find"

"A place to park"

"Burma Shave"

Edited by tater

Spoiler

They should use the last berthing port to attach a docking carousel for spaceships.

Dock to the top, then berth to the branch.

The branches are kinda Lyappas, no Canadarm required.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXC9sR16RIY55PJOddrjr

Edited by kerbiloid

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

So the US went from having no rides up the the ISS to having so many that they can't find room to park them all?

When you set up a redundant bidding system (which is especially smart as one of the original commercial resupply contract winners failed and dropped out), you tend to get an oversupply.  Which is kind of the opposite of letting NASA/Congress micromanage  a launch project.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame, really. As a ULA/Boeing fan, it's just sad. they lost the race at 3:22 PM on May 30th, 2020. almost a year ago at this point. now, they continue to fall behind. personally, it makes me infuriated, but SpaceX won, and I've got to hand it to them.  I would BET that BOE-CFT falls to 2022. by that point SpaceX will have been flying crews for over two years.

big issue with Starliner on atlas v is that there's only one launch integration facility, at SLC-41. it's a very active pad that's used for unmanned payloads as well, so there's not a ton of launch opportunities. Boeing says they could launch "in may," so right now, but that's dependent on if there's an atlas v available.

Edited by CollectingSP

It's more dependent on whether there's a docking port free at the ISS now. As just mentioned in the HLS thread, the ISS is just barely capable of supporting non-operational missions.

Fitting a months-long DEMO mission in around regular crew rotations and supply launches is not trivial.

25 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

It's more dependent on whether there's a docking port free at the ISS now. As just mentioned in the HLS thread, the ISS is just barely capable of supporting non-operational missions.

Fitting a months-long DEMO mission in around regular crew rotations and supply launches is not trivial.

Sounds like it's time to build a new ISS. All we need is for literally everyone to chip in 30-40 dollars or so.

14 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Interesting. I'm curious what the station schedule looks like and how long OFT-2 will stay up there.

Total mission duration is 7-14 days. Not sure if it's nailed down yet.

40 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I can't wait for this. Hopefully this succeeds and we can see starliner parked at the station.

Yeah, multiple crew vehicles is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

But what will the dynamic be like between Starliner and dragon, do you think one will eventually replace the other?

Depends. I think that as long as NASA has the budget they'll keep at least two crew vehicles. Dissimilar redundancy and all that.

2nd phase of commercial crew will be interesting though. Both capsules will have to rebid against outside competition.

I would be highly surprised if Dragon weren't chosen again, NASA seem extremely satisfied with price, service, and SpaceX's management culture. 

Starliner on the other hand may be vulnerable to replacement by a newcomer, such as Dreamchaser.