Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

All that's been released so far is a tweet;

https://twitter.com/BoeingDefense/status/639131909935767552

stating that name release is on Friday; we've no idea of what names have been considered, unlike the Vulcan competition. We can only hope they don't end up calling it 'freedom or 'galaxyone' this time.

Edited by Vanamonde
Fixing title.

Do you really think a name is important?

Lately, I see so many "news" dealing with this or that organization naming something; UN bickering with itself over the name for ISIS/ISIL/IS..., US politicians moaning about Mount McKinley/Denali, Google with its typeface, this thing...

It's ridiculous.

Do you really think a name is important?

Lately, I see so many "news" dealing with this or that organization naming something; UN bickering with itself over the name for ISIS/ISIL/IS..., US politicians moaning about Mount McKinley/Denali, Google with its typeface, this thing...

It's ridiculous.

It could certainly do with a more memorable name; you can bet the man on the street currently has no idea the program even exists.

The man on the street has no idea Voyager program exists. Same goes for practically every interplanetary probe.

Go on, get out on the streets and ask 20 people what's the most distant man made object.

Ask people how far away is the Sun or the closest star other than the Sun.

If the man on the street has no idea the program even exists, it's not because the program lacks a flashy name, and the flashy name won't change it.

The man on the street has no idea Voyager program exists. Same goes for practically every interplanetary probe.

Go on, get out on the streets and ask 20 people what's the most distant man made object.

Ask people how far away is the Sun or the closest star other than the Sun.

If the man on the street has no idea the program even exists, it's not because the program lacks a flashy name, and the flashy name won't change it.

I wish I could give more rep for this... we live in age of meaningless things, where form, name or advert is more important than "product" or content itself.

Look at it in context; it's a competitor to Dragon, and the man on the street is likely to have at least a vague idea what Dragon is, c/o the Musk hype machine.

My boss thought that NASA was shut down completely since the shuttles were decommissioned. Not a single employee at my work has ever heard of SpaceX. The man on the street is incredibly uninformed about niche interests like spaceflight. It's quite sad.

Edit: I live in a suburb of Chicago.

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish

Well, why don't you include that question in the poll I suggested you do? (What's "Dragon" when talking about space exploration?)

That's what I thought the Kraken was before I learned it was an Octopus.

They should call it the Krakenfodder1 that way if it disappears or disentegrates we could create an Urban myth to explain why. You could definietely lean out the astronaut core with a name like that.

Edited by PB666

I like CST as a name. Of course I prefer American WW2 aircraft to be properly called by their numeric designations instead of the silly names that no one other than the press actually called them at the time. Aviators didn't say "Wildcat," they said "F4F," pilots didn't say "Thunderbolt," they said "P-47."

I'd ditch the "100," however, it implies 99 precursors.

No its travels along a line in the direction of a star, then another star, and at some point on the return it will travel briefly in the direction of the sun. maybe all the good names are taken. We could call it the Vitaconic or the Viastra. Something with X like Xtervia or Z like Zentrophia or Q like QXZ1.