Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

You know, if you just use a "private" window in your browser you can read as many articles from the Post as you want.

Anyway, the article talked about how Ferguson left a US flag on the ISS to be retrieved by the next people who launch there from US soil, and now he might actually be the one to retrieve it. It also talked about the idea of corporate space workers -- so far there have been private tourists and government-sponsored space travelers, but now with commercial space getting into the crewed space flight business, we will have corporate employee space travelers.

Assuming both spacecraft are otherwise on their previously stated timelines (similar empty and crewed launch months), I can't see how Dragon isn't first given the leak issue with CST-100. The difference between them at this point was (not so?) arbitrary scheduling to put Boeing first, seems hard to defend with any surprise work to do on CST-100.

Eric Berger said that a good source told him that Boeing offered NASA an extra seat on the test flight (extra crew to station) for 110 M$. More than Soyuz. I'd post what I think, but the filter would eat it.

Spoiler
12 hours ago, tater said:

Boeing offered NASA an extra seat on the test flight (extra crew to station) for 110 M$. More than Soyuz

It's normal.  Soyuz has economy class seats, CST is business class.

Dragon pretends to be a first class, but how could it be possible if they don't offer beverages?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Launch date for their uncrewed demo mission is penciled in for April still at spaceflightnow. Since CRS-17 is April 25 maybe there's an earlier slot for CST-100 to fit in.

Edited by tater

Ten chutes? I assume the first 2 are to yank the rear aeroshell, the second 2 are supersonic drogues, next 3 are subsonic drogues, and finally 3 landing chutes. You’d think some flaps to get air under the shell would be enough to get rid of the first two.

14 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Ten chutes? I assume the first 2 are to yank the rear aeroshell, the second 2 are supersonic drogues, next 3 are subsonic drogues, and finally 3 landing chutes. You’d think some flaps to get air under the shell would be enough to get rid of the first two.

Maybe a flap was a new failure more that would be more risky than a known entity, chutes.