Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

You can leave if you don’t like it :sticktongue:

I have a friend working on it from the NASA end, so I'll stay. ;)

I don't mind a lot of the Atlas V variants, but the narrowing to Centaur, then harsh step to Starliner is... YUCK.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:30 AM, tater said:

I have a friend working on it from the NASA end, so I'll stay. ;)

I don't mind a lot of the Atlas V variants, but the narrowing to Centaur, then harsh step to Starliner is... YUCK.

Interesting that you view it from the ground up. As an aerodynamicist by training (although actually a combustion/emissions subject matter expert by work experience), I pretty much automatically think of it in the other direction.

13 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Interesting that you view it from the ground up. As an aerodynamicist by training (although actually a combustion/emissions subject matter expert by work experience), I pretty much automatically think of it in the other direction.

I wasn't thinking of the direction of motion, and in this case I was talking about the Atlas launch vehicle variants, which CST-100 just sits on top of. I suppose all the 400 series are ugly to me vs the 500s where the Centaur is actually inside the fairing. From a launch vehicle perspective the fairing is part of the vehicle, vs Starliner where the crew vehicle sits on top in place of the Atlas fairing.

Still a harsh step from Starliner to Centaur, nose to tail, or tail to nose.

a5_511-768x566.jpg

The 500s all look pretty cool to me.

Edited by tater

On 7/17/2021 at 1:43 PM, tater said:

Still a harsh step from Starliner to Centaur, nose to tail, or tail to nose.

a5_511-768x566.jpg

The 500s all look pretty cool to me.

I feel the same way. I’m not a fan of the 501, but the rest look super cool, especially 521 and above. They just have a really powerful look to them. 

On 7/10/2021 at 7:26 AM, SpaceFace545 said:

You can leave if you don’t like it :sticktongue:

Sorry, only the Vostok was designed for leaving in flight without a required return.

- just in case anyone is new here, Yuri Gagarin had to parachute out before it landed.  Cheaper to only reduce his mass to "human survivable landing velocity" than the whole Vostok spacecraft.  Note that it was plenty larger than the "hard space suit" that was Mercury capsule.

- and just like a recent "controversy"  it disqualified him for "first orbit" under FIA rules.  The rules at the time for orbiting somehow required him to stay with his spacecraft.  The Soviets certainly never mentioned this little detail until much later, long after anybody cared about such details and orbiting the planet was blatantly obvious.

12 minutes ago, wumpus said:

- just in case anyone is new here, Yuri Gagarin had to parachute out before it landed.  Cheaper to only reduce his mass to "human survivable landing velocity" than the whole Vostok spacecraft.  Note that it was plenty larger than the "hard space suit" that was Mercury capsule.

It also had no zero-zero launch abort system. If he had ejected on the pad, he wouldn't have gotten high enough to open his parachute. So they put a net around the launch pad...which would have trapped him next to an exploding rocket.

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Not having watched the whole video, why did they want to use that particular port for the Starliner? Is it deemed lowest risk for a first attempted docking?

Moved from the SpaceX thread.

My friend at MCC said safety, obstructions, pointing, and simply that mission planning and programming might have already had a specific port in mind, and it was easier to move the Crew Dragon and leave the Starliner to go to the port originally planned (nothing to test on Crew Dragon, they get aboard, and can always take over).

39 minutes ago, Scotius said:

I hope this review does its work properly. Another failed flight would be seriously humiliating. Space exploration does not need this :mad:

The work for the review is already done according to a friend involved, it's HQ stuff at this point to decide it has passed.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:58 PM, wumpus said:

Yuri Gagarin had to parachute out before it landed.  Cheaper to only reduce his mass to "human survivable landing velocity" than the whole Vostok spacecraft. 

Both were landing at human-rated speed. They just weren't sure if the capsule* landing system is enough reliable, so preferred to eject the pilot (btw, he had a backup chute, too).

* Actually, nearly a former airship cabin.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Волга_(стратостат)