Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

4 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

What ISS issues?

Nauka had a few errant thrusters fire some time after docking and the ISS ended up 45 degrees out of normal orientation. Everything's under control now but schedules are definitely gonna get pushed back as a result.

I've read from a couple of sources that Starliner is designed to be compatible with Falcon 9.  Would this ever happen/are there any plans for it to happen. Boeing and SpaceX have collaborated once before, on the USA-277/OTV-5 flight of the X-37B spaceplane, as the X-37(B) is made by Boeing, and SpaceX provided the launch vehicle (the Falcon 9).

Here's where it said they were designed to be compatible: 

Boeing Starliner - Wikipedia

Crew Dragon and Starliner: A Look at the Upcoming Astronaut Taxis | Space

Here's also a photo I made of what it would look like: Screenshot by Lightshot (prnt.sc)

4 hours ago, bigboibru said:

I've read from a couple of sources that Starliner is designed to be compatible with Falcon 9.  Would this ever happen/are there any plans for it to happen. Boeing and SpaceX have collaborated once before, on the USA-277/OTV-5 flight of the X-37B spaceplane, as the X-37(B) is made by Boeing, and SpaceX provided the launch vehicle (the Falcon 9).

Here's where it said they were designed to be compatible: 

Boeing Starliner - Wikipedia

Crew Dragon and Starliner: A Look at the Upcoming Astronaut Taxis | Space

Here's also a photo I made of what it would look like: Screenshot by Lightshot (prnt.sc)

I believe that by "compatible" it just means "has the right mass to be carried by either rockets"

18 hours ago, Beccab said:

I believe that by "compatible" it just means "has the right mass to be carried by either rockets"

I might just be overthinking it, but then how come it doesn't say "compatible with SLS" or "will be compatible with New Glenn", because Starliner has the "correct" mass (and diameter) to be launched to LEO by both of them. The vibe I'm getting from the way they're written is that they're specifically targeting using it with Falcon 9.

1 minute ago, bigboibru said:

I might just be overthinking it, but then how come it doesn't say "compatible with SLS" or "will be compatible with New Glenn", because Starliner has the "correct" mass (and diameter) to be launched to LEO by both of them. The vibe I'm getting from the way they're written is that they're specifically targeting using it with Falcon 9.

Does it? I guess, if you think that a single 10 kg box is "compatible" with a freight train. I mean, yeah, the freight train could carry it, but it would not be efficient.

Atlas 5 and F9 (and FH) have various overlapping payload envelopes, depending on whether you want a heavier object sent to a lower-speed trajectory or whether you want a lighter object sent to a higher-speed trajectory (where the hydrolox Centaur stage has some advantages over the kerolox Falcon upper stage).

5 hours ago, bigboibru said:

Simply, because it wasn't required by NASA to. One of the requirements of Commercial Crew was that either selected capsules had to be "compatible", i.e. adaptable or at least possible, with the rocket that the other capsule uses. SLS won't be available for any commercial crew launch, and New Glenn (or FH, or about any other rocket) isn't crew rated

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Simply, because it wasn't required by NASA to. One of the requirements of Commercial Crew was that either selected capsules had to be "compatible", i.e. adaptable or at least possible, with the rocket that the other capsule uses. SLS won't be available for any commercial crew launch, and New Glenn (or FH, or about any other rocket) isn't crew rated

Ahh, okay. So would Dragon be compatible with the Atlas V N22 then?

They have so many smart and great people working on this,  if there were few problems here and there they should have been able to fix them.

Maybe the whole project is just not there yet, hasn't reached an acceptable state and they need more time to work on this.

Time i doubt they will ever get with all the deadlines and pressure.

Edited by Serenity