Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

9 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

"Mach 23"?

Aren't they at an altitude where the concept of "Mach number" is basically unimportant?

The entire graphical display is useless.  No velocities, the progress bar doesn't move in an analog manner.  I sure hope the software on Starliner is better than what is running the stream graphics, lol.  It sure seemed like the boosters were dead weight for a lot longer than they needed to be.  That was kind of strange.

Just now, darthgently said:

The entire graphical display is useless.  No velocities, the progress bar doesn't move in an analog manner.  I sure hope the software on Starliner is better than what is running the stream graphics, lol.  It sure seemed like the boosters were dead weight for a lot longer than they needed to be.  That was kind of strange.

The last part is because at certain speeds there is a danger of the boosters recontacting the core

Just now, insert_name said:

The last part is because at certain speeds there is a danger of the boosters recontacting the core

So the burn rate or fuel quantity is adjusted to have the boosters finish outside that "certain speed" range.  I'd think.  I know SRBs are hard to "tune" but it was my understanding that the ability to tune these particular boosters in segments was part of their coolness.  I may be thinking of another flavor

15 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

"Mach 23"?

Aren't they at an altitude where the concept of "Mach number" is basically unimportant?

I said this same thing to my son as I listened/watched (he was driving, so I got to watch).

4 minutes ago, darthgently said:

There was no MCC Houston footage because it might show proprietary Boeing information apparently.

10 minutes ago, darthgently said:

It sure seemed like the boosters were dead weight for a lot longer than they needed to be.  That was kind of strange.

They've been flying Atlas Vs for a long time now. I think they have earned our trust that they know what they are doing.

4 minutes ago, tater said:

proprietary Boeing information

We sure wouldn't want to give away Boeing and ULA leading edge secrets on fully expendable launch technology and arcane wisdom on how to achieve basic orbit to other nations who may be watching from their fully functional and orbiting space station.  IP lawyers can miss the forest for the trees at times, lol

4 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

They've been flying Atlas Vs for a long time now. I think they have earned our trust that they know what they are doing.

Understood, but I thought I'd seen the boosters separate sooner after flameout in prior launches.  That was the point of my comment.  Not critical, just curious what is up.  I have no doubt ULA knows what they are doing

3 minutes ago, darthgently said:

We sure wouldn't want to give away Boeing and ULA leading edge secrets on fully expendable launch technology and arcane wisdom on how to achieve basic orbit to other nations who may be watching from their fully functional and orbiting space station.  IP lawyers can miss the forest for the trees at times, lol

Unsure what it was they were concerned about, that's just what I heard from someone there.

Could be ITAR related, too.

Edited by tater

18 minutes ago, darthgently said:

It sure seemed like the boosters were dead weight for a lot longer than they needed to be. 

As said before, lifting them out of the thicker air where recontact may be an issue. The trade off for slanted nose comes on the solids; ULA need to go the kerbal way and slant them to aid in separation (j/k, I’m sure there’s other complications with that).  It could be worse; one of the Indian launch vehicles has the core burn out before the boosters! (IIRC)

Glad to hear it was apparently a successful launch though