Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

• 1 month later...

Tape on wiring harnesses?  That seems odd to me given the budget and the problems tape can present when trying to troubleshoot and find breaks in wires.  Tape on wire bundles just hides problems in my experience, like discoloration from overheating, insulation damage, etc.    I don't even tape wire bundles in my old pickup truck.  Surely there a space grade zip tie, or equivalent, by now

Edited by darthgently

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Surely there a space grade zip tie, or equivalent, by now

It's space-grade tape...seriously. Its still kinda funny, but its tested so the adhesive works over a broader range of temperature and stuff like that. Its like a premium version of the aluminum tape they use on commercial aircraft...though, don't quote me on if this space tape is aluminum, I'm just making a comparison.

Also, there is a serious concern for things flailing about on the spacecraft...they cannot rely on 1g to settle objects so they restrain them, sometimes with tape.

Edit: crap, I totally missed your point..my best guess is that tape is either lighter than other options or is easier for something designated important...like its too much work to go get clippers to cut a zip tie when you can just rip the tape off...for what reason? I would love to find out. I agree with tape being seemingly an odd choice.

Edited by Meecrob

47 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

It's space-grade tape...seriously. Its still kinda funny, but its tested so the adhesive works over a broader range of temperature and stuff like that. Its like a premium version of the aluminum tape they use on commercial aircraft...though, don't quote me on if this space tape is aluminum, I'm just making a comparison.

Also, there is a serious concern for things flailing about on the spacecraft...they cannot rely on 1g to settle objects so they restrain them, sometimes with tape.

Edit: crap, I totally missed your point..my best guess is that tape is either lighter than other options or is easier for something designated important...like its too much work to go get clippers to cut a zip tie when you can just rip the tape off...for what reason? I would love to find out. I agree with tape being seemingly an odd choice.

I've since learned the tape is glass fiber  based so may ironically be meant as a firebreak of sorts?  Not sure, but if the issue is flammability, then it would be ironic

Thats interesting if true: flame retardant tape.Maybe its more effective? Glass has a high melting point? Thats my guess.

Edited by Meecrob

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

I've since learned the tape is glass fiber  based so may ironically be meant as a firebreak of sorts?  Not sure, but if the issue is flammability, then it would be ironic

Fiberglass tape is commonly used in construction to cover seams and patch holes in plasterboard. It helps keep the filling putty in place and gives strength to the patch. Someone may have been trying to save money or just did not understand the difference between construction and spacecraft tape.

This reminds me a bit of the "Whoops, it turns out that titanium is flammable under these conditions" thing that Dragon had back in the day. It should be simpler, though possibly more annoying, than that to fix, depending on how much stuff they have to rip out to get to all of the tape.

Since glass fiber doesn't burn, it must be the binder or adhesive that is the issue.  I wonder if the flammability goes down as outgassing of volatiles goes down over time.  Hopefully it is something tapers into a safe enough zone given time so the ISS is fine and Starliner and other new builds maybe just need time.  But if it isn't volatiles, maybe a spray on fire retardant over layer could be applied (after enough outgassing, or permeable to outgassing) to get within safety margins.  Which would still be a major activity

Edited by darthgently

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

Since glass fiber doesn't burn, it must be the binder or adhesive that is the issue.  I wonder if the flammability goes down as outgassing of volatiles goes down over time.  Hopefully it is something tapers into a safe enough zone given time so the ISS is fine and Starliner and other new builds maybe just need time.  But if it isn't volatiles, maybe a spray on fire retardant over layer could be applied (after enough outgassing, or permeable to outgassing) to get within safety margins.  Which would still be a major activity

It's the adhesive.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the tape used: 
https://www.nitto.com/us/en/others/products/file/datasheet/PDS_NA_Glass_Cloth_Tape_P-213LW_012020_EN.pdf
http:// https://www.boeingdistribution.com/product/PRESSURE+SENSITIVE+ADHESIVE+TAPE/P-213LW-WHITE-2IN-36YD/P-213LW-WHITE-2IN-36YD

On 5/26/2023 at 10:52 PM, insert_name said:

Apparently parachutes are still an issue for certification, per NASA safety panel, they are skeptical about July launch date and overall readiness for flight 

https://spacenews.com/nasa-safety-panel-skeptical-of-starliner-readiness-for-crewed-flight/

Why not test it a lot using boilerplate like space race people did it and SpaceX now. Parachute deployment is something you can not computer simulate I think. 
Packing parachutes is an skill with qualifications for very good reasons. 
And if your life depend on it you want someone very qualified to pack it. 

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Why not test it a lot using boilerplate like space race people did it and SpaceX now.

They did.

However, if I understand the report correctly, they discovered that they had a problem with that data and had misunderstood the safety margin.

8 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

They did.

However, if I understand the report correctly, they discovered that they had a problem with that data and had misunderstood the safety margin.

OK get it, and it might be testing conditions like wind speed. 

7 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

OK get it, and it might be testing conditions like wind speed. 

From what I read, it was an instrumentation problem. The instruments did not correctly capture the load on the lines. Or maybe it was the material lab testing on the lines that did not correctly measure their strength. Sounded like something like that.

Anyway, they now calculate that they have insufficient safety margin in the event that they lose one chute and must take extra load on the others. (Which, I note, they actually did have happen on one of their drop tests, so this must be a margin problem rather than a for-sure-failure problem.)

Edited by mikegarrison

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

From what I read, it was an instrumentation problem. The instruments did not correctly capture the load on the lines. Or maybe it was the material lab testing on the lines that did not correctly measure their strength. Sounded like something like that.

Anyway, they now calculate that they have insufficient safety margin in the event that they lose one chute and must take extra load on the others. (Which, I note, they actually did have happen on one of their drop tests, so this must be a margin problem rather than a for-sure-failure problem.)

Seems like that should be a straightforward fix... presumably they implement it on a dummy test object they used for other tests and try it a few times? SpaceX had to do something like that with their chutes as I recall. NASA wanted a bunch of test drops.