(1.0.4 Compatible) SSP: Space Shuttle Program (On Hold for Internal Reorganization)

Sampa

Should we split the Shuttle into parts like the CSS?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Should we split the Shuttle into parts like the CSS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
    • What's CSS?

uploading now.

have not included new booster ejection dynamics...

- - - Updated - - -

for those who want to help develop and don't have it the link is always: https://github.com/MrMikeNZ/Space-Shuttle/releases/

and RO patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzmoq1jzjeoaguu/mod.zip?dl=0

thanks for helping test... more people the better.

uploading now.

have not included new booster ejection dynamics...

- - - Updated - - -

for those who want to help develop and don't have it the link is always: https://github.com/MrMikeNZ/Space-Shuttle/releases/

and RO patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzmoq1jzjeoaguu/mod.zip?dl=0

thanks for helping test... more people the better.

Perfect! will help :D

- - - Updated - - -

too bad spacelab is not in it atm :3

I made a couple of stress test, one with stock KSP, stock atmo, one with stock KSP, FAR atmo. Every test 2/3 times to be sure.

Stock atmo, the first few seconds after the launch are a little tricky, but the Shuttle is pretty controllable. It flies really well until the SRBs begin to loose thrust, then begin a little wobble that continue also after SRBs separations. Easily manageable, setting the SAS on Prograde it disappear. After the ET separation, OMS and RCS gives a very good control, but it miss a little some RCS ports in the front.

Re enter, the Orbiter is very good. From a 530 km X 30 km orbit, re-entering is enjoyable as it should be. High AoA and S-turns are unavoidable due to heating, but the Shuttle is perfectly controllable, good behavior in landing too, the brakes makes a very good job.

FAR atmo. Here too, the launch is a little tricky, btw for the launch phase, everything is perfect as in stock. Re-entering from the same orbit 530 km X 30km is really near the limit as it should be, surviveable with AoA and S-turns. At low altitude, the Shuttle stalls near 96 m/s. The only issue is the pitch autorithy, a little low. I had to increase the Control Deflection of the spoilers to 40, otherwise it's impossible to maintain the v-speed under 10 m/s during landing. That's the only issue I had, otherwise the Shuttle flies really well.

A little side note, the SRB separation isn't so clean as it should be. It could be my fault, but I fear every time that i can loose a wing...

Next, give me some hours and I'll test with RO.

I have made a lot of things during my time updating this mod...

some extra vehicles and modules

- - - Updated - - -

I made a couple of stress test, one with stock KSP, stock atmo, one with stock KSP, FAR atmo. Every test 2/3 times to be sure.

Stock atmo, the first few seconds after the launch are a little tricky, but the Shuttle is pretty controllable. It flies really well until the SRBs begin to loose thrust, then begin a little wobble that continue also after SRBs separations. Easily manageable, setting the SAS on Prograde it disappear. After the ET separation, OMS and RCS gives a very good control, but it miss a little some RCS ports in the front.

Re enter, the Orbiter is very good. From a 530 km X 30 km orbit, re-entering is enjoyable as it should be. High AoA and S-turns are unavoidable due to heating, but the Shuttle is perfectly controllable, good behavior in landing too, the brakes makes a very good job.

FAR atmo. Here too, the launch is a little tricky, btw for the launch phase, everything is perfect as in stock. Re-entering from the same orbit 530 km X 30km is really near the limit as it should be, surviveable with AoA and S-turns. At low altitude, the Shuttle stalls near 96 m/s. The only issue is the pitch autorithy, a little low. I had to increase the Control Deflection of the spoilers to 40, otherwise it's impossible to maintain the v-speed under 10 m/s during landing. That's the only issue I had, otherwise the Shuttle flies really well.

A little side note, the SRB separation isn't so clean as it should be. It could be my fault, but I fear every time that i can loose a wing...

Next, give me some hours and I'll test with RO.

thanks for the test.

I am surprised FAR flight even works! this is where I need help.

also I am working on the booster for next update. doing some re-modeling on them.

If anyone can give some suggestions on how I should edit FAR values or what is off, like lift too far forward, too strong, whatever.

I don't want to see this die, but im finding it not easy

Ok, I made some tests on RO, and there are some issues: the tail of the shuttle doesn't have the FAR control, but still show the stock one. The result is that most of the times, if you're able to reach orbit, you loose the tail. In most cases, the wing's spoiler are lost just a few seconds after liftof due to aerodynamic stress. In my opinion, but I can be wrong, this can be due to the small attachment nodes in the VAB. In stock they're ok, buti in RSS thay're too small. If I try to revert to launch, the ET becomes much smaller, probably the stock ones (I don't know the reasons). I think those are easy fixable issues with cfg. By the way, if everything goes well (and sometimes it happen, for unknow reasons) the Orbiter has enough Delta-V for orbit. In orbit probably it will need a little more from OMS, talking about Delta-V, but if I don't want to follow the perfect STS mission profile, I can use SSME for maneuvers. I don't know why, but the RCS thruster doesn't show exhaust in orbit, but they seems to work. For re-enter I have still to find the correct periapsis, but it probably fly well, with a good hand. One last thing I noticed is that the Orbiter has a great pitch and yaw control during ascent, but very low roll authority in high atmosphere. Watching at the SSRW (Semi-Saturable Reaction Wheel), it seems that the Orbiter SAS has two times the pitch and yaw that the roll.

Btw, for RO we can work on it, I can try to look at the patch, for stock, with FAR or not, this great mod is ready... The most flyable STS I ever tried. Well done!!!

EDIT: if you're interested, I can try to create a Real Plume configuration for the STS.

Edited by Nansuchao

I'm currently doing a configuration for Interstellar Extended engines. If you look at the thread, you'll see something.

It's a pleasure to help, I really appreciate your dedication to this mod. You're a great team.

Edit: here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2170559&noquote=1

Edited by Nansuchao