What's your Favorite KSP Landscape?

The terrain on the planets in KSP, especially Kerbin, are very detailed and can be quite beautiful in places, especially on Kerbin.

What's your favorite area in KSP? I have the feeling that most of these will be on Kerbin, since it's so detailed.

Here's one of my favorite. This place is just beautiful beyond comprehension.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If im honest, ive never been more than 200 meters away from Kerbins launch site. I dont do planes or rovers.....only rockets upwards.

As for landscapes.....ive been to the Mun, minmus, Eve, Duna, ike etc, yet I still love the Mun.....you just never know what slope lies beneath your lander :)

In general, I think Mun's my favorite, simply due to it having the smallest level of detail thanks to the procedural crater generation (that I hope they will do elsewhere as well. Not necessarily craters, but procedural).

As far as favorite actual spot, I'm a big fan of anywhere on Mun that multiple craters overlap, preferably inside another crater. The terrain can get crazy slanted in those areas and just look awesome. Also, the terrain right around the easy-to-find Mun arch, right on the big cater wall with a smaller crater just north of it, and this nicely flat ground right there, is great to land on so long as you can nail it.

There's been a number of places on Vall I like; unfortunately I don't have any shots of those. However, you can see such a place at the bottom of this screenshot:

Stock-VallCruise.jpg

Basically where Vall's icy plains meet the mountains.

Actually, the best terrain I've visited, and one of the hardest to land on, has to be what I named the "Rock Gardens of Pol"

That's not unlike the place where I first encountered Pol's invisible walls - it was a beautiful place. Until I hit those walls. Fix the walls, Squad!

I've been playing for over a year, I've visited (and safely returned from) every solid body except Tylo and Eve... and I still keep going back to Minmus again and again and again because those minty flats and foothills are so much fun.

Indeed! Minmus is a strong favorite of mine, and not just because it's close. There's something about the texture that makes it look like it's sparkling in a crystalline fashion. Funny thing is, when I first started playing KSP in 0.22, Minmus 'weirded' me out a bit.

(I'd recommend doing a Tylo return mission. It's interesting - unlike an Eve return mission, which is drudgery. Also, I'm kinda scared of what atmospheric heating will be like in 1.0.x on top of a 450 kelvin starting point)

There's no place like home, and for me, the Mün is home!

I never could learn to like Minmus, the only reason I go there is the science. What is it that people like? It doesn't even have enough gravity to run around, not like the Mün. Yes, I too think it looks deliciously minty, but it's so bland-like frozen yogurt compared to the Mün, the Mün being a delicious, texturous ice cream.

I flew over this mountain range on the way to rescue a kerbal and it was pretty cool:

ZlJj6p0.png

The hideous atmosphere gradient, lack of scattering, and no clouds makes it so much better.

The terrain on the planets in KSP, especially Kerbin, are very detailed and can be quite beautiful in places, especially on Kerbin.]

This is redundant as the text in the quote is very redundant.

Inner Jool moons for me (Vall, Laythe and Tylo): basically, wherever you look, there is a gorgeous screenshot to take with Jool and its moons (a good Kerbal should always look towards the sky, the ground is boring :P)

Bwi0muW.png

Here's a really nice shot of Laythe beach with Jool high overhead. I plan on building a colony here right after 1.1 comes out.

• 6 years later...
On 9/3/2015 at 4:47 AM, Brofessional said:

With 64-bit on the way, I wish the devs would spend an update or two doing an art pass on all the planets.

a Bit...old (by like 7 Years O.O) But KSP had a Graphics overhaul...all it took was about 5-7 years to do it XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.