[1.4] SpaceY Expanded, v1.5 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Downloaded this morning and made some absurdly big rockets in sandbox for no reason other than I wanted to put something giant into orbit. Can't wait to unlock them in career. :cool: So far no missing meshes on the fuel tanks haha.

Shouldn't the 7.5M parts be in 'Colossal Rocketry' on the CTT though?

Nose cone fuel tank, 7.5m:

KSP%202015-09-03%2014-41-54-87.jpg

Shouldn't the 7.5M parts be in 'Colossal Rocketry' on the CTT though?

I don't think so. The 5m parts take up Experimental Rocketry, so Gigantic Rocketry is next in line. Colossal Rocketry should probably be saved for 10m (and possibly any oversized engines from the 7.5m set, sort-of like what I have going on with the R7 sitting in Gigantic despite being 5m).

I have no idea if it's in the scope of your plan, but I would LOVE a mass efficient 5m and 7.5 m crew level. roughly similar dry mass per kerbal as the 6.5T 16 Kerbal Mk3 spaceplane crew part, but either more pancake shaped or with a much higher crew capacity. (If you were looking for part ideas...)

Go home launch clamps, you're drunk…

I've read about this bug in the past, but can't recall what the issue was. Not had it prior to this update…

*edit: yes, those are KW Rocketry ullage motors being used as separator motors! Works well!

This bug isn't caused by SpaceY's clamps but by the general behaviour of clamps in the game. Claw's Stock Bug Fix Modules mod has a fix for it included.

Huh, that could be interesting. I'll think on some ideas. The hard part becomes doing the interior.

There's several adapter/crew-tank parts out there, such as a 2.5m nose and a 3.75m base, and extending that to the larger diameters has some use, whether in a rocket or a space station. The ones I have seen have rather spartan IVAs, and they're not all command-pod capable. I have made several return modules and landers which take advantage of the large base diameter for heat shields (mass per unit-area has some effect on deceleration during re-entry), and stability when landed on slopes.

One possibility would be a sort of notched hatch location. You have the generally conical structure with the hatches mounted on axis-vertical recesses which give you a small flat patform for a Kerbal to stand on before any ladders. This wouldn't work for a docking port, but on a larger module this recess could be big enough to allow a short crew-tube between the the hatch attachment point and the actual docking port.

Personally, I would save IVAs for actual command pods.

I would also be inclined to keep this sort of thing as part of the Lithobrake pack.

It definitely gives me something to think about. Ignoring the IVA makes like a lot easier, I must say. Making a "crew tank" as such becomes a simple matter then. :)

On another note, I'll have an update out today sometime. It adds a few adapter parts and minor fixes, and an upper-stage capable E2 engine:

KSP%202015-09-04%2015-36-17-18.jpg

KSP%202015-09-04%2015-41-55-56.jpg

Update posted:

0.2 (2015-09-04) - Alpha/Beta
- Increased the 1-atmosphere ISP of the Penguin (vacuum) engines to 250, up from 100.
- Changed the E1 engine's thrust vector location to aid in clipping engines.
- Added fueled 7.5m nose cone.
- 7.5m to 5m adapter tank more than doubled in capacity, cost, etc (was underpowered for its size)
- Also added it to the Modular Fuel Tanks config.
- Added an additional shorter 7.5m to 5m adapter tank with checkered paint scheme.
- Added non-fueled 7.5m to 5m adapter.
- Added an upper-stage capable 7.5m "Dual-Emu" engine.

So... I know its like the elephant in the room that no one mentions, but someone has to bluntly ask. When will you release the 25m parts that allow us to launch entire space stations in one big explo... eh, launch? :)

Edited by DaniDE

So... I know its like the elephant in the room that no one mentions, but someone has to bluntly ask. When will you release the 25m parts that allow us to launch entire space stations in one big explo... eh, launch? :)

That might give me an excuse to do a remake of the infamous BFE-5000, right? :)

maxresdefault.jpg

mhOkAxy.png

Actually, continuing the pattern of sizes, the next sizes above 7.5m should be 10, 15, 20, 30, 40.

(Because rocket performance scales geometrically with size, and because of the exponential nature of the rocket equation, it's better to go exponential than arithmetically, since (for example) 22.5m parts aren't different enough from 25m parts to be worth making. The pattern is to multiply by 3/2 and then 4/3, so that sizes are as evenly spaced as possible, without having to worry about irrational sizes that would result from multiplying by the square root of 2 and without the giant eightfold leap in mass or fourfold leap in drag that comes from stepping up by factors of 2 -- incidentally, this is why HGR's 1.875m parts fit in so nicely between 1.25 and 2.5.)

Oh come on. Sometimes you need the BFE series that just violently gets the job done :D

Joking aside, NecroBones, I love this addition to your already awesome mods, and I particularly enjoy the darker blueish color range of these new parts! Thank you so much :)

SpaceY 5m parts are already very potent and can lift a couple hundred tons payload to LKO in one go. 7.5m parts are even more powerful. Personally I don't need bigger stuff, however if needed I'd love to see it in separate expansion pack (just as 7.5m stuff now).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.