[1.4] SpaceY Expanded, v1.5 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

OK, I went ahead and pushed this out. I'm going to be off the grid most of next week, so I wanted to get this out for everyone.

0.4 (2015-09-11) - Alpha/Beta.
- Added 7.5m service bay.
- Corrected the 3.75m and 5m service bays to have "No Attach" flag for door colliders.
- Reduced the size of the flag decal on the 5m service bay.

Have I told you lately that I love you (in a safely platonic, non-creepy, anonymous, no need to call the FBI sort of way)? It's the little details on your parts, like the doubled yellow-and-black hazard stripes around the service bay door track (or how the ModRocketSys Flingatron is labelled "Do Not Eat").

Have I told you lately that I love you (in a safely platonic, non-creepy, anonymous, no need to call the FBI sort of way)? It's the little details on your parts, like the doubled yellow-and-black hazard stripes around the service bay door track (or how the ModRocketSys Flingatron is labelled "Do Not Eat").

Heheh, awesome, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Yeah, I love those sorts of little details too. :)

Hi Necorbones,

and CONGRATS to the release! Will try it these days, if my junior will allow it ;)

Something I noticed: On Kerbalstuff it is labeled "CKAN", yet it does not show up in it? As this is an alpha release, is that intentional?

Thanks and Cheers

Something I noticed: On Kerbalstuff it is labeled "CKAN", yet it does not show up in it? As this is an alpha release, is that intentional?

I'm not sure what's going on. Sometimes mods take a week or two before CKAN adds them, and at other times it's really quick. I have a ticket open on their github about setting up the dependencies, and I see a record of it being referenced in a failed merge. That happened about 10 days ago and no further action has happened, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Hopefully this will succeed where normal SpaceY has failed, by bringing something into orbit in RSS!

(I don't have RO, too much bad stuff, like boiling off fuel and no throttle and engine restarts.)

Slightly OT, but you can get into orbit with stock parts in RSS, though your payload fraction will be awful compared to real-world rockets because stock fuel fractions and TWRs are awful compared to real-world fuel tanks and engines. To bring their efficiency more in line with real rocket parts (and thus bring payload fraction closer to reality as well), I've made SMURFF, which makes fuel tanks and engines lighter to bring stockalike parts closer to reality.

There's also ROMini, which NathanKell made before I made SMURFF, but I didn't know about it until after. It also improves fuel mass fractions, but it partly does so by making parts bigger and giving them more fuel and thrust, which really isn't necessary if you're using SpaceY Expanded.

Hopefully this will succeed where normal SpaceY has failed, by bringing something into orbit in RSS!

(I don't have RO, too much bad stuff, like boiling off fuel and no throttle and engine restarts.)

You're going to have a hard time either way because engines and tanks weight a lot more in KSP than they do in real life - real launch vehicles only manage 1-2% payload fractions (to low orbit!). You might want to check out this mod though.

btw, what's your current opinion on my proposal for LET regarding the command capsules?

Do you remember which thread it was in (I don't see it here or in the LET thread)? I was going to look and remind myself. I have lots of notes written down for a lot of different parts, etc, and it's not entirely up to date. I sometimes reach a point of saturation, where my organizational skills fall apart. ;) So many things I want to do, so little time. :)

SpaceY Expanded is now in CKAN. As of this writing, it's still showing a mild mistake I made, in that it recommends the full version of Interstellar Fuel Switch, instead of the "Core". The fix for this has already been merged, so I expect sometime within the next few hours it'll be straightened out.

Hey, it seems there is some compatibility issue with this mod and community tech tree, it currently is impossible to unlock the dual penguin in career mode, unless I am missing it somewhere. I know it is in my game because it works fine in sandbox. Any ideas?

I looked at the config file and everything seems to be in order.. Though I may not be qualified to judge that xD

Took me too long to notice this! Penguin with 400 ISP sounds OP and if you don't want to change that I'd like to know how to do that myself. I believe it's a 3.75m engine, and a 3.75m vacuum engine would be nice to have (in fact I believe I mentioned lack of such an engine to make huge 5m boosters more meaningful earlier), but the Rhino already fills the slot as the 3.75m Skipper and Penguin would be well worth it with around 360-370 ISP alongside its 3.0 (vs 9.0 for Rhino) mass. It may need a lower profile still, but otherwise I'm okay with the engine.

Also, what happened to that 5m SRB?

I think I just hit the limit for a reasonable lifter in 64k+FAR+stock fuels. This is the first of four launches that I need to send a station to Jool.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

7 x Quad-Emus = 168,000kn

TWR 1.02 on pad, 1.09 vac.

7-3-1 asparagus staging.

8395m/s in the booster.

just over 200t into a 130x1400 orbit.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow. I'm working on a post about driving asymmetrical rockets.

When do we get the big engines?

Edited by Sandworm

Yes, as far as I can tell every other part functions properly and shows up in the tech tree.

I found the problem. I can't push out the update til next week though, since I'm on travel. But I did get to look at the logs and see what was going on. Basically part of the SpaceY-Lifters config is undoing the update that SpaceY-Expanded is doing. It's just a case of them stepping on each others toes. I'll get it pushed out soon, but it might be Tuesday before I have time.

- - - Updated - - -

Took me too long to notice this! Penguin with 400 ISP sounds OP and if you don't want to change that I'd like to know how to do that myself. I believe it's a 3.75m engine, and a 3.75m vacuum engine would be nice to have (in fact I believe I mentioned lack of such an engine to make huge 5m boosters more meaningful earlier), but the Rhino already fills the slot as the 3.75m Skipper and Penguin would be well worth it with around 360-370 ISP alongside its 3.0 (vs 9.0 for Rhino) mass. It may need a lower profile still, but otherwise I'm okay with the engine.

Also, what happened to that 5m SRB?

I might adjust the ISP a bit. This was mainly a starting point.

I'm not sure about the 5m SRB; I'm still a little undecided. :)

Fixes posted:

0.5 (2015-09-23) - Beta.
- Fixed an issue with some parts not being able to show up in CTT's tech tree. Requires SpaceY-Lifters v1.0.4 to be effective.
- Corrected the names of the README and this CHANGELOG to reflect that it's the Expanded version of the mod.
- Reduced P-series (Penguins) vacuum ISP to 380 (down from 400).

Fixes posted:

0.5 (2015-09-23) - Beta.
- Fixed an issue with some parts not being able to show up in CTT's tech tree. Requires SpaceY-Lifters v1.0.4 to be effective.
- Corrected the names of the README and this CHANGELOG to reflect that it's the Expanded version of the mod.

but that vacuum isp was absolutely awesome, and for the relatively low thrust... dont you think you can just bump it back up a tinyyy bit? like 385 or 390?

also: plan on adding MFR support to the fuel tanks?

but that vacuum isp was absolutely awesome, and for the relatively low thrust... dont you think you can just bump it back up a tinyyy bit? like 385 or 390?

also: plan on adding MFR support to the fuel tanks?

Possibly, it's a work in progress. :)

EDIT: Do you mean Modular Fuel Tanks (MFT)? I have that in there, but I just spotted a glitch.

You know what, let me see if I can fix that real quickly. I may set the ISP to 390 for now too.

Fixes posted:

0.5 (2015-09-23) - Beta.

What parts in particular? I didn't notice that some of the parts weren't there in the science game vs sandbox.

Posted:

0.5.1 (2015-09-23) - Beta.
- Adjusted P-series (Penguins) vacuum ISP to 390. Work in progress.
- Fixed a problem with the 7.5m tanks (and 5m tanks) working properly with Modular Fuel Tanks.

- - - Updated - - -

What parts in particular? I didn't notice that some of the parts weren't there in the science game vs sandbox.

The P2 (5m) engine in particular, but the MM config was probably clobbering other 5m parts too. It was a bad wildcard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.