[1.4] SpaceY Expanded, v1.5 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

On 14/10/2016 at 9:47 PM, NecroBones said:

Our Saturn-V dreams may yet come true. :wink:

KSP%202016-10-14%2016-45-58-87.jpg

I approve of this product and/or service... even though I mostly disapprove of prefigured engine clusters... I'd rather just have the tanks and the engines, plus an assortment of ways to combine the two.

Edited by Senior Slaphead

On 10/14/2016 at 7:48 PM, Laguna said:

Just need an F-1-like engine to use it with.  Sure, you could get one from elsewhere, but we need a SpaceY one. :)

Actually, the E1 engine is meant to be somewhat reminiscent of the F-1. It's roughly the right size, though of course it's more stock-KSP balanced with less thrust and more mass than the F-1. :)

19 hours ago, Senior Slaphead said:

I approve of this product and/or service... even though I mostly disapprove of prefigured engine clusters... I'd rather just have the tanks and the engines, plus an assortment of ways to combine the two.

That's more of what I'm aiming for here. The SaturnV-like arrangement in the screenshot is an adapter with 5 individual (not built-in) engines attached to it.

57 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Gosh, what would you even call a rocket that uses this?   "Saturn VII"? :D

I was going to say "New Glenn", with 7 x BE4 engines..  (Though the currently available information is that New Glenn will be 7m in diameter.   Would match existing practice of SpaceY models being bigger than their real-life inspiration..)

Loving the stuff NecroBones. Take a look at these screenies... these vehicles are based on stock 3.75m and your 5m tanks with a droptank removed in each instance so you can see the configuration.  This first one uses stock BZ-52 Radial Attachment Points to put the engines where I want...

3.75m_zps7lnnwf7l.jpg

Whereas this one is using radially attached C7 Brand Adapter Slanted parts on your (inverted) 5m-3.75m fuel tank...

5m_zps8bbgqpjk.jpg

Remembering of course that in my particular use case I'm constructing re-useable vehicles... there are various reasons why I am doing it this way, rather than using adapters.  It can be due to available career tech, or because the adapter I need does not exist, or because precise positioning is necessary to avoid over-heating engines due to adjacent heat when under power or from atmospheric heating during re-entry.  Finally - and most importantly early on - it's because you need a probe core on the first stage... and the logical place to put it when you only have small ones is in the centre under the main tank, with engines clustered around it.

TLDR... KSP needs good looking surface mounted engine housings with fuel content so you can position engines exactly, have room to set up the fuel lines and fit a probe for reusable vehicles.

Edited by Senior Slaphead

Updated:

1.3 (2016-10-18) - Update.
 - Moved service bays to Payload tab.
 - Added a pair of 10m-3.75m engine adapters.
 - Added 10m stack separator.
 - Added two new lengths of 10m fuel tanks.
 - Added "SaturnV" paint scheme to 10m tanks to match new engine adapters.
 - Removed some unnecessary duplicate geometry from 10m fuel tanks.

I saw in the changelog on SpaceDock that SpaceY Expanded now has 10 meter parts. This is the most terrifying thing I have heard all week. I don't even use my Gaia series of 7.5m launch vehicles. I have no idea what use I might find for the 10m parts (maybe launching nuclear-augmented versions of Gaia-series upper stages, for some monstrously huge spacecraft that I have yet to design). Plus, the 10m parts will hopefully look pretty good with the 3.75m SRBs.

1 minute ago, Orcais said:

Just DL'd your mod looks great just everything is bright pink cool if that's your thing, thought you should know

1.2 version 64 bit

You need SpaceY Heavy Lifters which contains all the textures.

Have had a big issue with Z-Fighting here. copied ksp folder to different location. Thought i narrowed it down to InterstellarFuelSwitch. But the InterstellarFuelSwitch folder was empty ... ???? Well i moved addon folders around like hell, started KSP several times. Now the Z-Fighting is gone. Only difference: empty InterstellarFuelSwitch folder is gone.

deleting mm configcache or reinstalling firespitter+spacy+lithobrake did not help before.

tl;dr:

I was able to reproduce this with my original KSP folder.

1. delete old InterstellarFuelSwitch folder even if empty

2. delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache

3. no annoying z-fighting anymore

On 10/23/2016 at 1:01 AM, Tahib said:

Have had a big issue with Z-Fighting here. copied ksp folder to different location. Thought i narrowed it down to InterstellarFuelSwitch. But the InterstellarFuelSwitch folder was empty ... ???? Well i moved addon folders around like hell, started KSP several times. Now the Z-Fighting is gone. Only difference: empty InterstellarFuelSwitch folder is gone.

deleting mm configcache or reinstalling firespitter+spacy+lithobrake did not help before.

tl;dr:

I was able to reproduce this with my original KSP folder.

1. delete old InterstellarFuelSwitch folder even if empty

2. delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache

3. no annoying z-fighting anymore

Yes, an empty InterstellarFuelSwitch folder is enough for MM to think that the mod is installed, and you'll get Z-fighting. This is something annoying about how CKAN does things. It leaves empty folders behind and breaks things. IFS needs to either be installed with its DLL, or completely removed.

• 2 weeks later...

@NecroBones heeeeey buddy buddy

Problemo with El Enginos Penquinos (Penguin engines, all 3, regular, double, quad).

The configs for all three read like the following. You changed the thrustVectorTransformName up top in the ModuleEnginesFX, but not down below in the ModuleSurfaceFX or ModuleGimbal, so the game burps when you load the engines.

:)

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		thrustVectorTransformName = fxTransform // thrustTransform
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSurfaceFX
		thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
		fxMax = 0.6
		maxDistance = 30
		falloff = 1.5
		thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 0.25
	}

Edited by Deimos Rast

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

@NecroBones heeeeey buddy buddy

Problemo with El Enginos Penquinos (Penguin engines, all 3, regular, double, quad).

The configs for all three read like the following. You changed the thrustVectorTransformName up top in the ModuleEnginesFX, but not down below in the ModuleSurfaceFX or ModuleGimbal, so the game burps when you load the engines.

:)

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		thrustVectorTransformName = fxTransform // thrustTransform
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSurfaceFX
		thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
		fxMax = 0.6
		maxDistance = 30
		falloff = 1.5
		thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 0.25
	}

lol, it used to work. I guess KSP is more picky now. :) I don't remember why I changed it, I'll have to go look. Thanks for the head's up!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey NecroBones, I absolutely love your mod collection and wanted to give a huge thanks to all your efforts!  They make my KSP playtime all the more enjoyable :)

I looked through your thread and wasn't able to find an answer, so I hope I didn't accidentally overlook it.  Is there any way I can add in the orange-style texture on the other part selections to the SpaceY expanded parts, particularly the 7.5m tanks?  I really want to use it for a shuttle to replace my procedural tank I had there previously.  Is this possible with a configuration change?

You made an excellent heavy-lift parts pack, so this is my first KSP video, inspired by the SpaceX ITS concept.

(I am sorry if this is cross-posting from the cinematics thread but I tried to share this via PM with Necrobones when this was uploaded and I'm guessing it got buried under other PMs after several days, so I wanted to upload this in the development thread. Please forgive me for this.)

(I didn't use the 10 m parts because 37/43 engines would have exacerbated any frame rate issues and there is no capsule-shaped command pod that I know of that is larger than 3.75 m)

Edited by Pipcard

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, alaykitty said:

Hey NecroBones, I absolutely love your mod collection and wanted to give a huge thanks to all your efforts!  They make my KSP playtime all the more enjoyable :)

I looked through your thread and wasn't able to find an answer, so I hope I didn't accidentally overlook it.  Is there any way I can add in the orange-style texture on the other part selections to the SpaceY expanded parts, particularly the 7.5m tanks?  I really want to use it for a shuttle to replace my procedural tank I had there previously.  Is this possible with a configuration change?

At the moment, it doesn't have the orange textures. I can think about adding more color schemes, of course. I've been using the stock orange texture to do it, and it's getting harder and harder to fit large polygons into that texture, as I go up in size. So I just haven't looked into a good solution for that yet.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, Pipcard said:

You made an excellent heavy-lift parts pack, so this is my first KSP video, inspired by the SpaceX ITS concept.

(I am sorry if this is cross-posting from the cinematics thread but I tried to share this via PM with Necrobones when this was uploaded and I'm guessing it got buried under other PMs after several days, so I wanted to upload this in the development thread. Please forgive me for this.)

(I didn't use the 10 m parts because 37/43 engines would have exacerbated any frame rate issues and there is no capsule-shaped command pod that I know of that is larger than 3.75 m)

Nicely done! And well edited too. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I got pretty inundated with work and holiday stuff. Thanks for sharing it here, that is pretty awesome.

22 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Quick question: Any ideas for a 10m engine? I find that the clusters of vectors or multiple Emu's are just slightly under my desired TWR. I mean, I could just do a bit of config fiddling, but I would prefer of having a legit 10m engine. :) Imagine the sound something like that would make! :confused:

I'm not sure yet. Right now, with the 7-way adapter for 3.75m engines, with E1 (Emu) engines on it, you get 42 meganewtons (vac) of thrust total, which is more than the actual Saturn V rocket, which would have topped out at around 38 or 39 with its five F-1 engines. So I wasn't in any rush to add something bigger. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.