[1.4] SpaceY Expanded, v1.5 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Whoa, that's what I call a thrust plate!

10 meter parts... would this finally be the excuse needed to add the infamous and long-theorized 5 m O1 "Ostrich" engine? As far as I can recall, the 3.5 m Emu is the largest engine family in SpaceY today, with the 7.5 m "Quad Emu" being the most powerful lifter in the pack. Now you could add another tier, with a 5 m O1 "Ostrich", 7.5 m O2 "Dual Ostrich" and 10 m "Quad Ostrich". I seem to recall you saying that you're saving the name "Ostrich" for when it's really needed, in which case a name like "Cassowary" might be more appropriate, or "Rail" for humourous effect (rails are the smallest flightless birds in the world).

Also, sorry for fan-gushing all over your thread, but I wondered if you have ever considered to make radial engines? The stock "Spider", "Twitch" and "Thud" engines haven't been followed up by that many mod authors, and remain tiny and obscure. I recently flew a Mun mission where I was deploying a rover in a 3.5 m SpaceY storage bay, and found the craft's "Thud" engines to be a little too weak to provide a non-annoying amount of thrust without having so many that they'd block the rover bay door.

If you want to follow up on the same nomenclature, I'd like to suggest "Chicken" and "Rooster" for a medium- and high-power radial engine, respectively.

Anyway, thanks a lot for creating and maintaining these wonderful packs!

We'll see about the Ostrich etc. :) For the moment, the 10m stuff is going to rely more on clustering existing engines. But some radial engines would be a nice gap to fill, for sure. I'll give that some thought.

In the meantime, check these out. One of them is a 4x 3.75m adapter, and the other is a "blank" thrust plate, for custom arrangements of surface-attached engines, shown with 6 Emus.

KSP%202016-10-05%2010-55-06-41.jpg

KSP%202016-10-05%2013-52-54-03.jpg

Small suggestion: Keep the top part of the thrust-plate sized for 10m diameter part but have it slightly widen to 11.25 meters to give room to re-arrange the 43 engine thrust-plate from hexagonal to circular? Your call, of course, I just figure that it'd reduce the distance out by which the outer engine mounts protrude

Edited by StevieC

4 minutes ago, StevieC said:

Small suggestion: Keep the top part of the thrust-plate sized for 10m diameter part but have it slightly widen to 11.25 meters to give room to re-arrange the 43 engine thrust-plate from hexagonal to circular? Your call, of course, I just figure that it'd reduce the distance out by which the outer engine mounts protrude

I can play with something like that too. Those outer six engine mounts stand out visually since they're outside the main hexagonal pattern, but they still fit under the rim, and inside the shroud. They won't stack nicely with a shroud anymore with a wider base. But I could probably offer an additional version too.

13 hours ago, NecroBones said:

By popular request, and because it simply has to happen, some SpaceX BFR/MCT/ITS inspired thrust plates are on the way. This is necessitating 10m parts to be added.

Has anyone recently told you you're insane? :)  :) 

49 minutes ago, PickledTripod said:

If you made a 7.5m BFR engine mount what what size would the engines need to be to fit 42? I'm wondering because the way everything is scaled in KSP the BFR's diameter (12 meters) translates to 7.5m, 10m is equivalent to 16m.

36 minutes ago, Vahal said:

you need 0.625m cause the 1.25m would be too big. They had some problem to fit 43 engines on a 10m so on a 7.5m...

Yup, 0.625m.

I haven't been going with any particular scaling against real world counterparts with SpaceY. The mod started out as "let's make a 5m mod that's similar to the ARM update in KSP 0.23.5". So all of the M-series and 5m parts, which are parodies of the Merlin and Falcon 9, are larger than the real world counterparts. The Falcon 9 is actually around 3.6m in diameter. If I wanted to stay in scale to those, I'd have to use larger engine mounts and go up to 17m or so for the ITS (BFR) parts. Rather than do that, I'm using it to break into 10m parts with something usable. I plan to have a 5-way 3.75m adapter for Saturn V rockets too. At 10m, that will actually be 1:1 with the real rocket. :)

On 10/5/2016 at 11:41 AM, NecroBones said:

I can play with something like that too. Those outer six engine mounts stand out visually since they're outside the main hexagonal pattern, but they still fit under the rim, and inside the shroud. They won't stack nicely with a shroud anymore with a wider base. But I could probably offer an additional version too.

Please don't flare out the bottom if at all possible. When I made my Nova Heavy using RSB parts a while ago, the final solution was difficult and not terribly attractive when it came to using the parts as radial boosters. Because, you know, this is Kerbal and someone (slowly raises hand in corner) is going to build rockets resembling a Delta IV Heavy with these new parts.

120+ engines firing at liftoff? Yes, please. :)

So far so good. Here's the current tank lineup so far, with the striped paint scheme (So far I have black, white, and striped):

KSP%202016-10-07%2014-18-54-88.jpg

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

Please don't flare out the bottom if at all possible. When I made my Nova Heavy using RSB parts a while ago, the final solution was difficult and not terribly attractive when it came to using the parts as radial boosters. Because, you know, this is Kerbal and someone (slowly raises hand in corner) is going to build rockets resembling a Delta IV Heavy with these new parts.

120+ engines firing at liftoff? Yes, please. :)

No worries, my plan is to include the ones I've pictured already. If I do make a flared one, it'll be in addition to, not in place of, those existing ones. But yeah, I can't wait to see people putting these into asparagus designs and the like. :D

As soon as Spacedock lets us mark mods as 1.2, I can probably get the first pass of the 10m parts out. It's in a "minimum configuration" state. That is, it has just enough to be useful, but not highly fleshed out. Currently it has several thrust plates, two tanks, a fueled conical size adapter, a decoupler, and a fairing base. I don't think I'm going to make docking ports or probe cores at this size. But some more engine adapters would be good (I want to make 5-way and 7-way adapters for 3.75m engines, at least), and possibly some more tank lengths too. At the moment there are only three color schemes on the tanks, black, white, and striped.

Updated:

1.2 (2016-10-12) - Update & KSP 1.2 compatibility.
 - Added KSP 1.2 and KerbNet modules to probe cores.
 - Corrected a mesh alignment issue on the E1 Emu engine.
 - Added 10m parts, including some large thrust plates for SpaceX BFT/MCT/ITS styled lifters.
 - Categories adjusted for several parts, corresponding to 1.2 changes.

42 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

As soon as Spacedock lets us mark mods as 1.2, I can probably get the first pass of the 10m parts out. It's in a "minimum configuration" state. That is, it has just enough to be useful, but not highly fleshed out. Currently it has several thrust plates, two tanks, a fueled conical size adapter, a decoupler, and a fairing base. I don't think I'm going to make docking ports or probe cores at this size. But some more engine adapters would be good (I want to make 5-way and 7-way adapters for 3.75m engines, at least), and possibly some more tank lengths too. At the moment there are only three color schemes on the tanks, black, white, and striped.

Save for the colour schemes, I don't think you need much more than what you've got for 10 m stuff in any case. 10 m docking ports or probe cores would be payload, and to send payload of that diameter into space, you'd need an even bigger booster underneath it. At some point, it's natural to ask "what are you going to use to get that thing into orbit?"

10 m parts allow us to send 7.5 m parts up without contrived-looking rigs or spamming radial boosters. They're fine for, say, the Quad Penguin, which is 7.5 m if I recall correctly, but also a vacuum engine that thrives best outside the atmosphere. To get that engine up where it belongs, 10 m boosters are convenient, but there shouldn't be any reason to expand the 10 m tier to include payloads and vacuum-only engines.

Unless you for some reason create an "Omega Penguin" or something to that effect. But at that point, you're dangerously close to overkill.

4 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

Unless you for some reason create an "Omega Penguin" or something to that effect. But at that point, you're dangerously close to overkill.

That's also part of the point of the various thrust plates and adapters. Technically if someone really wants to build payloads and upper stages at that diameter, the adapters exist to make it happen.

Just now, NecroBones said:

That's also part of the point of the various thrust plates and adapters. Technically if someone really wants to build payloads and upper stages at that diameter, the adapters exist to make it happen.

Good idea. That way, I won't be tempted by the presence of an Omega Penguin in the tech tree, and thinking "I have to use that thing for something now...". A 7x3.5 m vacuum engine is rather impractical after all, so it's better to say "Yes, technically you can build one yourself if you want, but..." rather than "Here it is, now find something to use it for".

I'd rather use the adapter plate to build my own little Omega Emu in that case, and be content with the Quad Penguin as the ultimate vacuum engine. Not sure if my computer could even handle the type of spaceship that requires seven 3.5 engines to push itself through interplanetary space.

Just added your whole collection for a 1.2 session.. I always come back every now and then because I love how all that stuff fits together. You might want to move the cargobays in the payload category at some point. Thats all I noticed.

Cheers and thanks for making this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.