[1.4] SpaceY Expanded, v1.5 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

On 2/4/2017 at 1:40 AM, Iso-Polaris said:

I figured out why , In the modular fuel tank patch in SpaceY expansion, the numbers should be 10 times larger to match its actual volume. Missing '0's there.

Think so? I had based them on some existing stats a long time ago, and kept multiplying for the larger tanks. I'll have to double-check.

22 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Think so? I had based them on some existing stats a long time ago, and kept multiplying for the larger tanks. I'll have to double-check.

Existing stats? In real life?  One thing I know about rockets IRL is that bigger fuel tanks usually hold more fuel.

7 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Existing stats? In real life?  One thing I know about rockets IRL is that bigger fuel tanks usually hold more fuel.

Dude, no need to take an attitude on it. :mad:  These tanks work fine for their intended uses, with correct capacities, when there aren't any bad mod interactions. ModularFuelTanks settings are included as a courtesy, and no one else has reported problems with it until now.

I started with stats from ModularFuelTanks itself, or another mod that uses it (not sure which, it was a long time ago). A few entries are missing, and I'll look into that. But so far, I'm not even sure if we've identified that as the source of the problem.

On 2/4/2017 at 1:40 AM, Iso-Polaris said:

I figured out why , In the modular fuel tank patch in SpaceY expansion, the numbers should be 10 times larger to match its actual volume. Missing '0's there.

I double-checked with MFT's configs for the stock tanks, and the volumes are defined as a sum of the original LFO amounts. I'm adding wildcards in the MFT patches so that it catches all of the tanks and sets it accordingly, but these numbers appear to be what MFT is expecting. There's probably a different mod hosing up the numbers on your side (unless it's just one or two tanks that I forgot to add to the MFT patches). RealFuels (if you're using that) does a bunch of its own data mangling, so it's possible the patches are stepping on each other or something. I'll need to see your log to diagnose further.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, raptor_xxl said:

Hi, I have real fuels and Space Y (Heavy Lifters and Expanded) mods installed and the 7.5m fuel tanks have very little volume, less than 3.75m. How can I configure them to have appropriate volume? The 5m and 10m tanks have proper volume

Yeah, RF and/or something that interacts with it is doing something funky. I'm not sure where the issue is yet. The only other person that was reporting this, never sent me a log. I haven't had the time to set up a modded installation and track it down separately (I've had little time for modding recently). Can you send me your KSP.log? You can put it on dropbox or something. I'll certainly take a look. Just make sure to delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache in GameData before firing up KSP to generate the log, that way it logs everything that MM is doing.

Have you any plans to create some big batteries, monoprop tanks, solar cells, reaction wheels etc?

Can you create some single 10 m engine? Its so annoying to place 42 vectors to thrustplate...

Edited by Alexoff
P.S...

On 2/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, Alexoff said:

Have you any plans to create some big batteries, monoprop tanks, solar cells, reaction wheels etc?

Can you create some single 10 m engine? Its so annoying to place 42 vectors to thrustplate...

My plan has been to add a few more adapters, to use with the E1 engines and the like, rather than a single 10m engine. Right now there's the 4x 3.75m adapter for 10m to do that, but I think I still need to add a 5x (and maybe 7x) adapter too. It's less painful using those with the E1 engines, than doing 42 vectors, for sure. But even the Vectors should be somewhat manageable with symmetry.

It's quite an amazing mod for me but I find that the volume of tanks is too small, even smaller than the 5m tank of KW rocketry. It se ems that the MFT file is compatible with stock game instead of Real Fuels, so is there any existing patch for RF or will it be updated to be compatible with RF?

• 1 month later...

Any chance of making a "Roc" engine? It could be 5m in compact configuration (basically an upscaled Emu) and be an F-1 analog for the 10m base - the F1 was 5.5m or so originally. 

"Roc" is a legendary, giant bird supposed to be a huge-cheeks ostrich-type, going with the ironic naming tradition. 

On 3/4/2017 at 7:54 AM, ParasciHHO said:

It's quite an amazing mod for me but I find that the volume of tanks is too small, even smaller than the 5m tank of KW rocketry. It se ems that the MFT file is compatible with stock game instead of Real Fuels, so is there any existing patch for RF or will it be updated to be compatible with RF?

There's a RealFuels-like component in Realism Overhaul, but not for Real Fuels itself. For the realism mods, I let them handle it on their side. They simply never added support for RSB.

9 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Any chance of making a "Roc" engine? It could be 5m in compact configuration (basically an upscaled Emu) and be an F-1 analog for the 10m base - the F1 was 5.5m or so originally. 

"Roc" is a legendary, giant bird supposed to be a huge-cheeks ostrich-type, going with the ironic naming tradition. 

Always possible. Heh :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.4.2017 at 5:33 AM, MaxL_1023 said:

But... isn't the roc a bird capable of flight? So far, all the SpaceY engines have been named after flightless birds. So I think the logical step for the 5 m engine would be "Ostrich", and if the need to go any further ever arose, I guess "Terrorbird" would be a pretty neat name for those.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it has been asked about before, but any chance of an ITS crew section analogue in all of the SpaceY sizes for shipping entire towns worth of Kerbals to Duna (or Laythe!) in one launch? Ideally they'd come in cylindrical and nose-cone variants similar to the standard command pod and lander can variants.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2017 at 0:34 PM, Ithirahad said:

I'm sure it has been asked about before, but any chance of an ITS crew section analogue in all of the SpaceY sizes for shipping entire towns worth of Kerbals to Duna (or Laythe!) in one launch? Ideally they'd come in cylindrical and nose-cone variants similar to the standard command pod and lander can variants.

Some ITS or Duna Transporter stuff would definitely be cool. I'll keep it in mind. :)

• 2 months later...
@PART[SYtank7mL15000]:FOR[SpaceY-Expanded]:NEEDS[ModularFuelTanks|RealFuels]
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = ModuleFuelTanks
	volume = 115200
	type = Default
    }
}
@PART[SYtank10mL15000]:FOR[SpaceY-Lifters]:NEEDS[ModularFuelTanks]
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = ModuleFuelTanks
	volume = 201600
	type = Default
    }
}

According to this modular fuel tank config, That 7.5m FT should have 115kL volume and that 10m FT Should have 200kL

In game, the 7.5m BFT115 fuel tank indeed have 115kL.

However, the 10m BFR-T200 Fuel tank that should have 200kL Volume. have 1.01ML instead.

BTW, the F51 5m Fuel tank have 251 kL

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I think some parts are strangely integrated in the stock tech tree. The node "Very Heavy Rocketry" has the Penguin and Quad Penguin engines, but the inbetween Dual Penguin is relegated to "Massive Rocketry", which is a full tier later. Even stranger, "Very Heavy Rocketry" also has the Dual Emu and Quad Emu engines, but the plain Emu (which is much smaller than those, as the names suggest) is in "Massive Rocketry" again. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Likewise, the 10 m thrust plates are found in the node "Meta-Materials" (cost: 550 Science), but the smaller 7.5 m thrust plates are two tiers later, in "Gigantic Structure" (cost: 1,500 Science).

I know it's picking nits and such, but I thought it might be of interest to know. I take it that those parts are meant to appear in later nodes in the Community Tech Tree or Engineering Tech Tree (Colossal Rocketry or something), but without those tech trees install they are lumped into lower tiers - even lower than those housing the smaller part counterparts. So I'm sort-of suspecting that the shenanigans required to make it work properly with the stock tech tree would break something for those other tech trees (which I probably should have used instead). But in case the fix is trivial - now you know the issue, at least!

And for the record, you got it right with the fuel tanks - all the 10 m tanks appear in the last available fuel tank node, later than all the parts 7.5 m and down.

Thanks again for an awesome suite of mods!

Edited by Codraroll

• 2 months later...

Soooo.. While updating my mod heavy RSS game to 1.3.1 I belatedly noticed that SpaceY is technically not compatible with anything over KSP 1.2.  The thing is I've been using the parts "just fine" for months in KSP 1.3.0 -- at least the solid fuel strap on boosters.

So what's the problem? Maybe nothing, since if it works it works, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything. Is there some problem with continuing to use an obsolete parts pack like this? Some issue that might be causing me trouble that would not be directly connected with the parts? Because I'd sure hate to lose the SpaceY solid boosters, just from the aesthetics alone. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.