Mods or stock?

quasarrgames

Do you play KSP with mods, or stock?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play KSP with mods, or stock?

• Stock all the way!
    • I use a few mods, but only a few.
    • AS MANY MODS AS I CA-[Ram Crash]
    • PLAY with mods? Hah! I DEVELOP them!

It all started with KER and RCS Build Aid, but before I knew it I had nearly 40 mods installed. God bless CKAN.

I used to be a stickler for stock (alliteration- lol.) and I didn't even leave the Kerbin system for my first year or so of playing. I had a way of gauging rocket construction so I didn't even need to use KER. I started doing Delta V calculations by hand and eventually I realized that it was going to get so tedious that I wouldn't enjoy the game. I installed RCS Build Aid shortly followed by KER, mostly because I felt that they should be implemented into the stock game.

I soon realized that mods and the modding community offer so much to expand and improve the game so I downloaded any mod that sounded interesting.

Now I'm up to RSS since I was losing interest in KSP. Another great aspect of mods.

I'm half and half. I'm still playing with a 90% stock experience, KER and Alarm Clock, that sort of thing - still working with stock parts and capabilities. But I'm very interested in mods, and will get into them eventually. I've tested a few on the side... okay maybe a lot.

I use mods like Kerbal Engineer and PreciseNode in conjunction with (mostly) stock parts. I don't use parts mods like KW Rocketry because they are redundant and result in longer loading times. But if there's a modded part I need, such as an inflatable module or 3.75 m equivalent of the Hitchhiker habitation module (Taurus HCV mod), I can use those, especially if they are stockalike.

I play stock, I guess.

But I have KER & MJ, Claw's bug fix modules, some visual mods (EVE, Engine lighting, Flags, Texture Replacer), and a bunch of convenience plugins (Menu stabilizer, Navball Up, Alarm Clock, Editor Extensions, Quick Scroll).

I use a few mods, but nothing which majorly changes the game. At the moment I'm just using KER and distant object enhancement. I also have HyperEdit but I only use it when making videos or just messing around. I am a contributor for the Kerbal Historical Institute mod, but there're no plugins involved, so I voted for the just a few mods option.

I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 on your list. I use far more mods than "a few" but I can count on one finger the number of times I've run out of memory specifically due to the amount of mods I had installed.

Most of the mods I use are to give more information and to add gameplay. For me, the "added gameplay" of trial-and-erroring your way to Jool with no indication of whether or not what you're doing is correct is not exciting. Nor is the "added gameplay" of calculating a bunch of stuff on my own or maintaining spreadsheets of values. For me, I want the game to provide the information I need to do what I want, and then provide me with things to want to do.

Sadly, the current game does neither of these things very well. So I mod.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I run between 40-50 mods, though most of them are relatively minor/limited in scope. And most of those I tweak a bit myself to get what I want out of the game. And that's running the native instillation for OSX. No 64 bit cracks or anything and no memory crashes.

That's in my main save, anyway. I've got another experimental save that just features a few mods that I consider nearly-essential while I test out new parts and such. And I do have a vanilla install, if for nothing more than a clean save that I can copy original data from when I've mucked things up in my other saves.

Edited by Boomerang

I actually alternate between 2 and 3. I've tried playing pure stock a couple times but I always find there's a few mods I really can't live without--mostly cosmetic mods (Texture Replacer and EVE) and a few informational mods (KAC and KER). And by "can't live without" I mean "get frustrated and/or bored almost immediately without." I think the farthest I've gotten in all-stock is a circum-munar flight of a slightly modified Kerbal X in sandbox mode.

Usually around 2.5. MJ, KJR, editor extensions, alarm clock, a lot of NecroBones' and Nertea's stuff, some sciencey stuff, and some small helpful stuff like portrait stats, safechute indicator, and claw's bug fixes. Occasionally I'll dabble in RSS and/or KCT. Definitely not afraid to remove mods that sounded interesting, but I ended up not using that much (including antenna range, KAS, universal storage, etc.).

Lurking on the edge of the ram limit with my main ksp game, and still have more I want to install but can't :P

But i also have a install with only information mods such as KER and MJ, MJ just for the convinience. And I have a plain stock install just for copying out of since I have the steam version stuff breaks when ksp is updated and steam just furiously goes and update it when I open Steam :P

-UniQ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.