InLine Solar - ORC

Caithloki

Okay, I have been messing around with an idea I have had in my head for awhile, I do not know if there is any inline solar panels available in mods at this time so I thought I would try and make one. So far I have the model created for 1.25m ships at this time, at least I believe it should be that size, I just haven't transferred it yet to Unity. My question mainly is will keyframes properly transfer over to unity and if there is current a reason I have not seen inline solar panels before. Here are the pics of the starting state and the fully deployed state.

8SX9KiS.png

5PbDk5V.png

Pardon my lack of textures at this time, just wanted to get some input on this before I continue on with the idea. :P

Sorry for the let down Augustus but they are just solar panels, there is already a few solar sails around in some mods tho, for the sun tracking ability I will probably be doing that with a later model once I get these stationary ones for 0.625m, 1.25m and 2.5m.

It would be cool to make it procedural in the future but I do not quite understand how that would work with this part, maybe with future parts. This first part is just going to pop open and is stationary and can close also. I mainly want to make a part that is protected better then surface attached panels, especially on ships entering the atmo at high speed. Allowing them to have a good supply of power when they do land.

I plan to make an angled set of parts also that would allow for better range of view for the sun when landed, so instead of having -=- have it come out like \_/ but the with the panels pointing down.

And I like Dr Jets inline solar idea, they are a nice setup but I wanted more of a frill around the ship. Kinda got the idea from this dino lol.

onqaged6f3_3dc30199_56f0_e016_54f1_ff5c7990d2db.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay sorry for the long absence, I have been busy and had to redesign the part (seems that I couldn't get the part to work properly in Unity, turned the frill into a plus sign lol. I have made a simpler part to try and figure out the process.

I have it able to be added to KSP as a structural part but as soon as I try and repurpose the stock folding solar panels it doesn't load. here is the config file I am using.

PART

{

name = InlineSolar

module = Part

author = Caithloki

mesh = InlineSolar.mu

rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

TechRequired = advElectrics

entryCost = 4400

cost = 440

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = Inline Solar Panels

manufacturer = Orbital Robotics Constructs

description = A Inline Solar Panel to better protect the part from heat while entering or leaving orbit.

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.025

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 1

crashTolerance = 8

maxTemp = 2000 // = 3200

bulkheadProfiles = srf

thermalMassModifier = 2.0

emissiveConstant = 0.95

heatConductivity = 0.04 // 1/3 the default

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel

animationName = InlineSolar

resourceName = ElectricCharge

chargeRate = 1.64

}

}

9rw63O4.jpg

Here is the first draft of the solar panel Idea, it is in KSP but just as a structure part, I am still trying to figure out the config file bit and I fixed the underside being see thru (used a plane instead of a two sided object in blender.)

Edit : I've now got it to have controllable animations! Decent, now to turn it into an actual solar panel.

Edited by Caithloki

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.