[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Uncharted Lands v0.5.4 [26Dec17]

KillAshley

@KillAshley I'm having serious trouble making a config that removes a stock planet's textures without the need to update Scaled Space, like in the videos you made. Can you give me an example config for Eeloo? (It's the planet I'm going to work on. I've tried Dres and Tylo)

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Really enjoying this mod! I love the visuals of the planets and the terrain. The text from science experiments is also really entertaining. The only issues I've had so far are that the science archives aren't populating for some reason (can't even see the planets) and something seems to be screwy with Minimus' SOI. A couple times I've burned out of Minimus orbit for a Kerbin re-entry course and on leaving the SOI (no time-warp) experienced several very high-G "lurches" where it flipped repeatedly between Minimus' and Kerbin's SOIs. When it finished, I'd be going back past Minimus in the opposite direction. 

7 hours ago, BadOaks said:

Really enjoying this mod! I love the visuals of the planets and the terrain. The text from science experiments is also really entertaining. The only issues I've had so far are that the science archives aren't populating for some reason (can't even see the planets) and something seems to be screwy with Minimus' SOI. A couple times I've burned out of Minimus orbit for a Kerbin re-entry course and on leaving the SOI (no time-warp) experienced several very high-G "lurches" where it flipped repeatedly between Minimus' and Kerbin's SOIs. When it finished, I'd be going back past Minimus in the opposite direction. 

this happens when the Sun is changed, I'll pm to @KillAshley what's causing the problem :)

I started playing this yesterday, in conjunction with Sigma Dimensions to scale up to 6.4x. I haven't had this much fun in KSP in years. I'm still trying to figure out the atmosphere curves to get an efficient launch (or into orbit at all for that matter :D).

UL Kerbin is beautiful...I haven't even tried with Scatterer or anything else yet, the visuals out of the box are amazing so far. Can't wait to start visiting other planets.

On 20/2/2016 at 1:37 PM, BadOaks said:

yeah i just tested and the minmus soi thing happened to me too, never happened previously so ill try and get to the bottom of it. I did notice that it only really happened when i burnt fully into a low kerbin orbit, burning just enough to escape then leaving the SOI causes no issues.....but ill see if i can figure out whats happening anyway. sry for the late reply!

22 hours ago, MainSailor said:

I started playing this yesterday, in conjunction with Sigma Dimensions to scale up to 6.4x. I haven't had this much fun in KSP in years. I'm still trying to figure out the atmosphere curves to get an efficient launch (or into orbit at all for that matter :D).

UL Kerbin is beautiful...I haven't even tried with Scatterer or anything else yet, the visuals out of the box are amazing so far. Can't wait to start visiting other planets.

well theres no scatterer support yet, im more of the mindset that planets should look amazing stock, so that is my focus. Other mods such as scatterer and eve and others should be optional and so i am leaving them until i am fully happy with everything else.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, I dont get a lot of feeback these days so my motivation wains, but it helps hearing it.

As for the atmospheres, Kerbin's atmosphere is the exact same as in stock, only 10% higher. The pressure curve mimics the stock curve exactly only expanded over the additional height. However also the size of Kerbin is slightly larger so finding the perfect ascent profile might be a little more tricky than you thought, but its not that hard :wink:

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

well theres no scatterer support yet, im more of the mindset that planets should look amazing stock, so that is my focus. Other mods such as scatterer and eve and others should be optional and so i am leaving them until i am fully happy with everything else.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, I dont get a lot of feeback these days so my motivation wains, but it helps hearing it.

Honestly, I'd had so many graphical issues before with Scatterer that I just removed it from my install. And so far, I don't think UL needs it. I am using Planetshine though and I think that makes things even more beautiful. If I get a chance tonight I will get some screenshots, because it looks pretty nice, and I haven't even left Kerbin's SOI yet.

I don't know why you don't get a lot of feedback, I honestly think this is one of the best planet packs out there. I have played OPM some of the other ones before, but you always start out on default Kerbin. I was starting to get burnt out, even with the additional challenge of 64k, but as I said before, this was the most fun I've had with KSP since I first started playing.

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

As for the atmospheres, Kerbin's atmosphere is the exact same as in stock, only 10% higher. The pressure curve mimics the stock curve exactly only expanded over the additional height. However also the size of Kerbin is slightly larger so finding the perfect ascent profile might be a little more tricky than you thought, but its not that hard :wink:

The atmosphere issue is probably a combination of things. I've carried over some physics configs that NathanKell recommended for RO that worked very well with 64k, but I'm not sure totally work with a non-stock Kerbin. I'm still in a very experimental phase, but I haven't had several uninterrupted hours of playtime to sort through my issues yet. I haven't tried without those yet, that's first on my list next time I get a chance to play. It didn't occur to me until this morning that maybe that's conflicting with Dimensions' scaling.

The biggest issue I'm running into is that the atmosphere seems thicker at upper altitudes than I'm used to. I still get drag and heating at 60 & 70km, and my launch profile has me reaching AP around that area, so I'm blipping the throttle and cruising for several minutes before I can even think about a circularization burn. If I have a slightly steeper profile, I'm reaching AP before my upper stage can catch up unless I have a much higher TWR than I typically design at, and either burning through lots of extra DV to bring it back up, or I start dropping down into thicker atmosphere again and burning up. I have gotten some good curves by using the GravityTurn mod as a 'simulator' of sorts, letting it try some different profiles. I have a chart running so far to find where it's used the least amount of DV.

To be honest, I know I'm making it unnecessarily hard on myself. A launch on 1x scale UL Kerbin is most likely no harder than stock, but the scaling is a challenge I have issued to myself. I also realize some of the issues I'm having may be trying to throw too many mods in the mix that might be conflicting with each other...I just have to experiment to see what works well. But I'm still having loads of fun.

Edit: Just want to mention, I don't think any of the issues that I'm experiencing are due to UL, Dimensions, or other mods having bugs. I know I'm throwing mods together here that are not designed for each other or even necessarily compatible. I'm still very much in a tinkering phase here.

Edited by MainSailor

On 2/25/2016 at 4:31 AM, KillAshley said:

@MainSailor very cool man, never honestly played 64K myself, but it has been sooo long since i actually had time and the urge to play KSP so thats no big surprise. Love the shots, keep em coming :wink:

Thanks!

I have a couple from my next mission I'll be posting coming up soon, unfortunately I spent yesterday trying to diagnose a graphics issue (unrelated to KSP, I later found) that was causing all kinds of havoc.

Edited by MainSailor

I love this mod!  Thanks for making it.  I'm getting a lot of lag though, at least around the Kerbin SOI.  After playing with a lot of settings, I conclude that it's CPU.  I'm using a ship that didn't give any lag before the mod, so I wonder what might have changed.  Hopefully there's some simple setting I can change, or mod I can remove.

3 hours ago, Aceoaces said:

I love this mod!  Thanks for making it.  I'm getting a lot of lag though, at least around the Kerbin SOI.  After playing with a lot of settings, I conclude that it's CPU.  I'm using a ship that didn't give any lag before the mod, so I wonder what might have changed.  Hopefully there's some simple setting I can change, or mod I can remove.

I'll have a look when i can, probably just from the loading of the terrain, as it has to layer so many mods together :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 5:55 AM, Tangle said:

May I have a blank map of this mod's Kerbin? I'd like to "refit" it to Worlda style. 

if you mean the color map, then you can find it in the files in GameData\UnchartedLands\KopernicusFiles\Kerbin\PluginData

I don't mean the color map, because that map uses transparency to give the biomes a light overlay in map view, and isn't a color representation of the planet. I mean, where could I find a version of the map in the OP without those nation borders and names? 

Edited by Tangle

9 hours ago, Tangle said:

I don't mean the color map, because that map uses transparency to give the biomes a light overlay in map view, and isn't a color representation of the planet. I mean, where could I find a version of the map in the OP without those nation borders and names? 

that would be the color map as i said :wink:

if you grab it from the download in the directory i stated before you can use it however you wish, There isn't any transparency on the map, it's actually a representation of the alpha channel being displayed on the image. You can delete the alpha layer and the false "transparency" will be gone.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Madman_Andre said:

So does Uncharted Lands let you use Sido's Urania System on KSP 1.0.5? Because if so that would be extremely cool, since SUS is not compatible at all with 1.0.5 at the moment.

It should work with 1.0.5 fine. The Urania planets won't be modified, but they do work on 1.0.5 (have tested and confirmed this).

On 08/04/2016 at 3:14 PM, Madman_Andre said:

So does Uncharted Lands let you use Sido's Urania System on KSP 1.0.5? Because if so that would be extremely cool, since SUS is not compatible at all with 1.0.5 at the moment.

SUS works fine on 1.0.5, however it was built using a earlier version of kopernicus. I haven't tested UL with other pack in a while....guess i can look into it at some point

2 hours ago, KillAshley said:

SUS works fine on 1.0.5, however it was built using a earlier version of kopernicus. I haven't tested UL with other pack in a while....guess i can look into it at some point

I have absolutely no idea what configuration of files everyone else that uses SUS and Kopernicus seems to be using, but the latest of both(0.6.3 and 0.8 respectively) do not work - not for me at least.

I actually did some experimenting earlier - I could not get Urania to load on a stock test game file (fresh download and literally only Kopernicus and SUS in the GameData folder aside from Squad and the Module Manager file) using any version of Kopernicus after 0.4., which according to Sido on the 1st post of the SUS thread, was what he used to compile it. Who knows, maybe it's because I play on Ubuntu and not Windows.

Anyways, the least I can do is at least offer up some help to maybe bug-fix it:

[LOG 18:53:40.750] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'AtmosphereFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[EXC 18:53:40.794] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
	System.Linq.Enumerable.First[StarComponent] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback)
	System.Linq.Enumerable.First[StarComponent] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate)
	Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher.Update ()

The error that floods my KSP.log textfile when I start up the game. It spams, ad infinitum. Maybe helpful?

2 hours ago, KillAshley said:

ill have a look into SUS at some point, there must be some conflicting value in the cfgs. I'll post in the SUS thread when i see anything

SUS has conflicts between multiple of it's planets' flightglobalsindexes, deleting or changing those should fix it.

1 hour ago, _Augustus_ said:

SUS has conflicts between multiple of it's planets' flightglobalsindexes, deleting or changing those should fix it.

it is not anything to do with the FGI's. If you read the error posted both above and in the SUS thread then you can see there is a issue initialising one of the kopernicus assemblies.. Anything else about SUS can be posted in the correct thread, instead of mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Uncharted Lands v0.5 is now available on Github!

Full 1.1 compatibility!
Fixed various issued with PQSMaterials after update
Fixed all scaledspace atmospheric gradients
Updated SigmaBinary to 1.5.0
Few little tweaks too!

sry to whoever i accidentaly quoted lol!

Edited by KillAshley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.