[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Uncharted Lands v0.5.4 [26Dec17]

KillAshley

On 4/26/2016 at 0:50 PM, KillAshley said:

Uncharted Lands v0.5 is now available on Github!

Full 1.1 compatibility!
Fixed various issued with PQSMaterials after update
Fixed all scaledspace atmospheric gradients
Updated SigmaBinary to 1.5.0
Few little tweaks too!

sry to whoever i accidentaly quoted lol!

Awesome!  Now what should I do?  Restart my whole game with this?  Or can I slip this in and my current save will still be ok?  Based on your description it sounds like this would not be OK, but I'm not sure.

I love your work (as if you couldn't tell) :):D

2 minutes ago, jpinard said:

Awesome!  Now what should I do?  Restart my whole game with this?  Or can I slip this in and my current save will still be ok?  Based on your description it sounds like this would not be OK, but I'm not sure.

I love your work (as if you couldn't tell) :):D

Thanks dude! always good to hear people are actually playing it! It should be fine to update your savegame, HOWEVER i can't guarantee anything, as the KSP/Kopernicus updates may have changed something that im unaware of. So please backup your savegame first!

Hello Mr. Ashley! I just wanted to say that, after reserching various planet packs, I have decided to use this excelent mod for my first (and hopefuly but not probably last) big 1.1 colonization carreer game. It just look fantastic! Anyway, I want to combine it with a little Sigma Dimensions to increase the challenge and rocket size. I'd like to ask you, how these two get along? And... I play KSP in a non-gaming laptop, so I'm used to a little lag. May I espect a worse preformance using this mod compared with stock universe? I have done some tests and I dont really apreciate any difference, but I am worry that with many ships flying my computer might fail.

That's all, thank you for your work and best wishes!!

1 hour ago, Perringo said:

Hello Mr. Ashley! I just wanted to say that, after reserching various planet packs, I have decided to use this excelent mod for my first (and hopefuly but not probably last) big 1.1 colonization carreer game. It just look fantastic! Anyway, I want to combine it with a little Sigma Dimensions to increase the challenge and rocket size. I'd like to ask you, how these two get along? And... I play KSP in a non-gaming laptop, so I'm used to a little lag. May I espect a worse preformance using this mod compared with stock universe? I have done some tests and I dont really apreciate any difference, but I am worry that with many ships flying my computer might fail.

That's all, thank you for your work and best wishes!!

If I remember correctly Sigma Dimensions was specifically designed to work together even with other Kopernicus mods. It should work.

As for your other question, lag, here's the thing: stock KSP planets often use four large textures: a color map, a normal map, a height map, and a biome map. Uncharted Lands is specifically designed to create a new experience whilst keeping lag as low as possible: Uncharted Lands uses only a color and normal map. So the game won't lag more with Uncharted Lands than with stock, but it should even reduce lag usage.

Hope this helps

The White Guardian

51 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

If I remember correctly Sigma Dimensions was specifically designed to work together even with other Kopernicus mods. It should work.

As for your other question, lag, here's the thing: stock KSP planets often use four large textures: a color map, a normal map, a height map, and a biome map. Uncharted Lands is specifically designed to create a new experience whilst keeping lag as low as possible: Uncharted Lands uses only a color and normal map. So the game won't lag more with Uncharted Lands than with stock, but it should even reduce lag usage.

Hope this helps

The White Guardian

UL might have some issues with SD since @KillAshley is using some features that I may have not taken into account when writing kopernicus, to be on the safe side backup your saves and do a quick check of the planets to make sure nothing major is going wrong with them

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

it should even reduce lag usage.

In that case it becomes clearer that this is going to be my planet pack for next season!

53 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

UL might have some issues with SD

The first time I downloaded Uncharted lands I had some isues with the Laythe/Tylo binary system (It didn't appeared in the tracking station and the game crashed) but I reinstalled the mod a couple of times and the problem disappeared so I blamed the actual adaptation period of mods and KSP (I don't remember if it was in 1.1.0 or 1.1.1). Anyway, I also installed Sigma Dimensions and gave it a try and it seemed to work fine, but I only send a pair of ships to the moon, nothing big. I haven't yet tried 1.1.2, but if everything works (fingers crossed) I am going to be "chartering" these uncharted lands very soon. 

Thank you for your answers!

Bug report

KSP 1.1.2/64 and 32 bit

Get massive amounts of lag with TST

Mods installed

Tarsier Space Tech

Module Manager

ToolBar

Hyper edit (testing purposes)

Kopernicus

Sigma Binary

Texture Replacer

Uncharted Lands

Log files

32 bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzj1f4rc38b1zu7/KSP%2032%20bit.log?dl=0

64 bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8kztmprczdoecv/KSP%2064%20bit.log?dl=0

just in case it makes a diffrence

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I used a probe trying to land on Eve and it exploded due to overheating when it touched Eve's ocean surface (or a few meters above at most) while descending at 6m/s with a parachute. It went from no heat to exploding instantly.

I am using the latest Uncharted version.

Edited by Therlun

Revamped Uncharted Lands Descriptions*

*Disclaimer: There's nothing wrong with the UL planet descriptions. I quite like them. However, as a writing exercise I wanted to write up some alternate descriptions. The guidelines for my style of descriptions is that the descriptions can not show any information about the object that would not be available to astronomers with 1960-level or less technology. You're not gonna be able to see Pol's volcano holes from Kerbin. :P

Sun: The sun is a relatively normal orange main sequence star. It was long thought to be a burning mass of coal in the sky, burning an unending supply of the flammable rocks. It is now known that the Sun, and all main sequence stars like it, do not burn fuel as much as they totally annihilate it through a process known as nuclear fusion.

Moho: Moho is a dark world, and thus very difficult to see. In fact, it is usually invisible to the naked eye except under very particular circumstances. With its very dark surface absorbing a huge portion of the light that the sun throws at it, it glows brightly in the infrared. The dark crust is thought to be caused by high concentrations of carbon and iron oxide in its crust. If it had any atmosphere from volcanic activity or otherwise, it has likely long since evaporated away into space.

Eve: Eve is one of the brighter objects in the night sky. Its color seems to shift from orange to blue depending upon the time of year and the direction which it faces Kerbin, likely due to a dense atmosphere of light-scattering particles. Eve has no moons despite its high gravity. This is either because all of the potential moon candidates are too scared to orbit Eve for fear of being torn apart, or because Kerbin stole ALL the moons.

Kerbin: Kerbin is the only planet in the entire system that is confirmed to have life. It is a very warm planet due to tidal effects from its two large moons, as well as its relative closeness to the sun. The underground system of oceans acts as a cooling engine to keep the polar areas warmer and the equatorial areas cooler. The underground oceans are host to a huge cast of interesting creatures very much unlike the desert, grasslands, savanna, ocean surface, or deep sea life observed elsewhere. With no sunlight to power photosynthesis, the food chain of Kerbin's underground seas are based around thermal vents and chemosynthesis. Kerbin is home to the Kerbals, a group of brilliant, intelligent, foresight lacking marsupials who are doing their darndest to figure this whole "universe" thing out. Kerbin is also orbited by three moons and a complex system of rings.

Minmus: The rings of Kerbin, known by many as the "sky arches," provide a fascinating astronomical view for anyone, any time of the day. They light up the night side of the planet, they darken the winters and brighten the summers. They are immensely beautiful. They are thought to have been created when a series of close encounters with a large near-Kerbin object found the object captured into a low orbit around Kerbin. Due to tidal effects and the gravitational interactions with the Mun and Dres, the object would have fallen towards Kerbin, before being torn up by Kerbin's gravity. The remnant of the original object is the very very dense object known as Minmus. Minmus helps keep the ring material together and stops it from falling in or being ejected. Minmus appears to be a very dense object coated in dirt and ring material. Its entire near side surface has been mapped by telescopic observations in greater detail than the larger and further Dres. It is a fairly homogenous surface of... well whatever the rings are made of.

Mun: The most obvious moon of Kerbin in the sky, the aptly named Mun is a dry and dull brown moon born from the formation of the Kerbin system. Maps of the Mun seem to show large, straight cracks which are thought to be generated by ancient plate tectonics. The lack of any volcanic gasses and the appearance of the craters suggests that the Mun has little to no active vulcanism of any recent times. The craters are suspected not to be generated from volcanoes, but instead by impacts from asteroids over the eons.

Dres: Dres is the largest and furthest moon of Kerbin. Telescopic observation suggests that it is covered in craters. No tectonic activity is apparent on its surface features, but its features are less visible than Mun's due to its distance from Kerbin. It is also darker than Mun, and is thus much more difficult to see during the daylight hours when the sky is bright blue. Dres and the Mun both seem to have anomalous histories. It seems unlikely that such large moons could have accreted from the same disc that formed Kerbin, nor that they could have been captured into orbit by Kerbin's gravity. Hypotheses made to explain this anomaly have been made: ranging from the idea that Kerbin, Mun, and Dres are all figment's of Jool's imagination, to the idea that Mun and Dres used to be one large body in a lower orbit that got blasted in two by a large asteroid. Some crackpots have even proposed that, if the two moons prove to have similar compositions to Kerbin's crust and mantle, that the entire Kerbin system was formed from a single huge impact of two larger bodies after the formation of the solar system.

Laythe: Laythe is a flat, featureless green-blue sphere. Spectroscopic analysis suggests that it is covered entirely by water, and it has a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere. Since oxygen naturally bonds to other elements, it can not exist for long periods of time in a planetary atmosphere. It has to be constantly generated. There are three possibilities to explain this oxygen problem: Laythe has nanobots on its surface that exist purely to replicate more of itself and the nanobots release oxygen as a waste product, Laythe has factories underwater separating oxygen and hydrogen from the ocean for fueling purposes, or Laythe has actual life in the oceans. The green ocean would seem to suggest the latter possibility. Space program funding to explore Laythe would be much higher if Laythe wasn't such a boring world from space.

Tylo: Tylo is a blue-grey planet in a binary orbit with its larger companion, Laythe. It is thought to be compositionally similar to the core of Laythe. Laythe's core is smaller than Tylo, but the huge mass of liquid water makes Laythe bigger in total. Tylo does not have any obvious impact craters, but then again it is very far away. If there turns out to be a lack of impact craters, Tylo might have active or recent volcanism or cryovolcanism. Spectroscopic analysis of its terrain indicates it is rich in metallic ores on the surface, with areas of icy mountains rising above the metallic surface. The ice is thought to be the leftovers from whatever water Laythe didn't eat up.

Jool: Jool is the largest planet in the solar system. It is thought to be a world made entirely of gasses, with only a small rock/ice core at the center. The brown, white and red cloud bands are a remarkable sight, even if they are blurry through a telescope. Jool is thought to be a fascinating look at what a failed star looks like. Despite the lack of nuclear fusion in its core, it does seem to be a very successful planet, on account of the fact that it represents over 90% of the system's mass outside of the Sun itself.

Duna: Duna is a large moon in a low orbit around the massive planet Jool. Duna is one of the objects which was presented as evidence that the whole universe doesn't revolve around Kerbin, only the larger moons did. Duna is thought to be volcanic due to tidal interactions with Jool and the other major moons of the planet, but it may turn out to be geologically dead and barren much like Mun. The first astronomer to observe Duna was locked up in his house for unrelated reasons.

Ike: Ike is the second moon of Jool. It is dimmer than the brighter Duna and Vall, which could mean it is either small or dark in color (or both). It is thought to be made out of rock and ice, and was probably formed around the same time as Jool itself. Ike was discovered significantly later than Duna and Bop, presumably because its discoverer was the only astronomer of the Joolwatcher's Club that hadn't burned their eyes out trying to look at the Sun.

Bop: Bop is a large brown moon orbiting Jool. It is one of the brighter objects near Jool, and can usually be seen in a nearly straight line compared to Duna and Jool. This was the first hint that something interesting was going on with the strange arrangement of stars in the background whenever someone tried to take a nice picture of Jool to hang in the office. For this reason, Bop is named after the ancient Kerbal god of photobombing.

Vall: Vall is a moon in a distant and irregular orbit around Jupiter. Unlike the other irregular satellites of Jool, Vall is quite large. Vall is the brightest moon of Jool visible, on account of its bright white ices covering its surface. Vall's mass was calculated roughly based upon calculations of how it interacts and perturbs the inner moons and Jool itself. To her astonishment, the astronomer who made the discovery found that Vall was much denser than it should be. This, coupled with Vall's high reflectivity, seems to suggest that Vall is actually a gold-rich core covered in a thick coating of snow and ice.

Eeloo: Eeloo is the seventh planet from the sun. It is in many respects like a frozen version of Laythe. It is mostly composed of water ice and dirt, and telescopic observation shows some barely visible brown circles on its map, likely caused by impacts. There is a high possibility that Eeloo might have an ocean of liquid water underneath its icy crust. However, so far out from the sun, Eeloo gets virtually no heat energy. Any life-supporting energy must be generated by internal geological processes. Eeloo was the first planet ever to be discovered, as every other planet was known since antiquity. When Eeloo was first discovered, the astronomer in charge was very skeptical about the possibility that this object was a planet. She was, after all, the first person who had ever discovered a planet. No one ever knew that there were planets outside those that had already been discovered, but nonetheless Eeloo was proven to orbit the sun. 

Pol: Pol is a tiny moon orbiting Eeloo. It is much darker and much smaller than Eeloo, and was very difficult to detect. The moon was only recently discovered by an intern at the tracking station of the Kerbal Astronomical Society. The astronomer in charge didn't believe that the poor intern had actually discovered a moon, and joking referred to the moon as "Pol" which is the Kerbal god of stupidity. Unfortunately the name stuck.

Gilly: Gilly is a mysterious, rocky object orbiting the sun in an orbit that crosses the planets Laythe and Tylo through Eeloo. It was first thought to be a comet, except it didn't display any trails or flares when it approaches the sun, and its mass estimates kept going up and up and up. It is now thought to be an extremely dense object made from totally different compounds and materials from the origin of our own solar system. The strange orbit it has would seem to corroborate this idea, as it appears to be an object that was captured into solar orbit after flying through many lightyears of interstellar space.

On 5/14/2016 at 10:16 AM, Therlun said:

I used a probe trying to land on Eve and it exploded due to overheating when it touched Eve's ocean surface (or a few meters above at most) while descending at 6m/s with a parachute. It went from no heat to exploding instantly.

I wonder if this is a bug... or a feature?? I mean, I assume not, but I will continue with my UL career as quickly as possible and see if it happens to me!

*I'm mostly being silly, and sorry for the loss of your probe :-/. But I had to comment because I'm not sure I've ever been excited to see if my hard work explodes on landing before. Maybe Eve's oceans are too hot! 

2 minutes ago, Tiber9 said:

I wonder if this is a bug... or a feature?? I mean, I assume not, but I will continue with my UL career as quickly as possible and see if it happens to me!

*I'm mostly being silly, and sorry for the loss of your probe :-/. But I had to comment because I'm not sure I've ever been excited to see if my hard work explodes on landing before. Maybe Eve's oceans are too hot! 

HazardousOcean
			{
				key = 0 100 -5.270139 -5.270139
				key = 17.5 20 -3.985374 -3.985374
				key = 25 5 -0.7139248 -0.7139248
				key = 50 0 0 0
			}

From the Eve.cfg. Yes, the hot ocean is a feature, not a bug.

On 14/05/2016 at 10:16 PM, Therlun said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I am using the latest Uncharted version.

i still need to tweak the curve so it's not an almost instant overheat....but yeah, any science report flying over it will tell you it's biome is called "Superheated Oceans" so it may be a little toasty :P

16 minutes ago, KerbalKyle45kk said:

*Ahem* I want attention please! umm, i have a problem with Kopernicus,(ill put it after the sentence after this)umm this doesnt work with my computer, The Problem is that my whole screen goes black, and i dont know How to solve it :confused:

can you send me a mod list, as well as a copy of the Logs/ folder located in your KSP folder please. Also what OS are you using?

10 hours ago, KerbalKyle45kk said:

os? oh. im using Windows 7. Im using Baha Sp, Bd armory,biodomes,Fallen asteroid project,Hangar Extender,Kaboom,Hyperedit,KerbMotors,Near Future Solar,Remote Tech, And TweakScale.

cool, could you also send me a copy of the Logs/ folder located in your KSP folder please. It will tell me where the problem lies

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.