[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Uncharted Lands v0.5.4 [26Dec17]

KillAshley

I actually like this one a lot, more pics? Is it supposed to have an atmosphere also?

thanks, yeah I'm sticking to the principle of a hostile world so the atmosphere for this Eve will still be pretty high as it is in stock, but I've yet to tweak them to my liking so all that is left in the dark for now :wink:

as for more pics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So the goal is in fact not to actually create replicas of the stock planets by using procedural generation, but to make planets that are similar in spirit to the originals. So I suppose you take a layman's description of the planet gameplay speaking, not necessarily mentioning the color, and then remove any preconceptions of the original planet (literally and in your mind) and then design a planet that fits that description.

In other words: The planets created and the stock planets have a common description.

Here are the descriptions from what I can tell.

Kerbin: An earth-like planet with grasslands, deserts, shores, and mountains.

Mun: A gray-white moon with small and large craters dotting the surface.

Dres: A large asteroid in the bad parts of space.

Tylo: A very large rocky moon orbiting Jool.

Ike: A moon of Duna with a high contrasting white/black splotchy surface.

Vall: An icy moon covered in hills and valleys.

Bop: A small brown lumpy rock.

Gilly: A small lumpy rock.

Eeloo: A white icy moonlike dwarf planet with brown patches scattered around.

Eve: A huge, hazardous planet orbiting closer to the Sun than Kerbin, with oceans of some unknown material.

Pol: A gigantic space pollen.

Based upon those descriptors, here are my predictions for what the rest of the objects will have in common with their originals.

Jool: A large green(?) gas giant planet with cloud bands.

Laythe: A large-ish ocean moon with a barely breathable oxygen atmosphere. That oxygen had to come from somewhere.

Moho: A medium-sized cratered planet scorched by its nearby orbit around the Sun.

Minmus: A minty-green lumpy moon of Kerbin.

Duna: A cool desert planet with a thin atmosphere.

sort of yes and no, inspiration is taken from the original planets but this is a complete overhaul and re-imagining of all bodies. Some bodies are true to their original "idea", however they will be done in an entirely new way. For example; Minmus is a shepherd moon for kerbin's rings - a mere 6km radius. Some others are done in an entirely new way, for example; Laythe & Tylo are in a binary orbit around the sun, a more ying & yang kind of configuration as Laythe is a ocean world with no land and Tylo is a rocky world with no water

Kerb... Kerbin's rings? Woah. Didn't notice that. This will definitely be an awesome thing for a Galactic Neighborhood patch. Maybe with a small bit of rearranging it so it is not to similar to the normal Kerbol system.

Is Minmus still minty?

- - - Updated - - -

I note you have but "untouched by myself for the stock feel" in the OP. I have to remind you that Kittopia's normal maps are too shiny for ocean planets, making them look very much non-stockalike. It may be a consideration worth thinking about to make custom normal maps or editing some shininess setting somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

It just occured to me that these worlds could be used for more uniqe New Horizons support. All the stock planets there could be given these textures and the whole thing would be completely original.

So I had an idea and kind of ran with it for a while.....
That would make an awesome Dres, I think I prefer it to the jagged one you showed before. It could be a suitable Mun too. I can't really see it as an Eeloo though.
Just ignore Kerbin in the background...

http://i.imgur.com/60I9iGH.png

7.8/10, too much water :D

(I'd have to see maps to actually judge, but IIRC Eve is mostly land with isolated oceans, unlike Earth which is mostly water with isolated continents.)

@GregroxMun, actually kittopia can produce good normals, it all depends on the settings :wink:

Almost all setting can be tweaked in game to produce the right look, most of them in the kopernicus .cfg...

@blackrack, no ETA yet, but most of the planets terrain is done, I might grab a few private testers when they are all done to see if things run right before moving into other parts of the mod

@cantab yeah I'm still toying with things until I get them perfect, but it'll get there!

In my world the worlds have the opposite properties, Kerbin is mostly land with isolated oceans and Eve is mostly ocean with isolated continents, not sure why I did it this way round, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far!

Sorry for a PQStion (bad joke) What mod did you use to edit Kerbin's terrain with? I'm guessing it's LandControl, and you changed what params?

lol very bad joke! I changed a lot of parameters for a lot of different mods. Each planet is an amalgam of several different mods to get them looking right. I was actually thinking of making a load of small tutorial vids of PQSMods after this pack is finished to show people how they work properly.

That Kerbin looks amazing. Really really amazing.

I must ask since I haven't seen any mention of it, but is this changing the orbits around as well?

Yes, most planets got a shuffle around and new layouts. Felt it would work better and give me more freedom if I set them myself rather than leaving them in their old positions

It's your mod, but I wonder if a system reshuffle isn't intruding on New Horizons' territory as it were. Gameplay-wise keeping the orbits and the gross physical properties of the bodies the same means that existing delta-V maps, transfer window planners, craft designs and so on will all still work, whereas a reshuffle requires the player to work that all out anew.

I do second what Gregrox said, that Uncharted Lands would make a nice optional extension to New Horizons. You could even encourage it as the default if you liked.

See that's the point to my packs, to make people think anew. See I'm so bored of the stock system, everything has become so routine that I don't see any point in playing anymore, I know exactly what I need to build as a minimum to land & return from other worlds so I honestly don't see the point in playing at all. That is the exact reason I started NH, to breathe new life into the game! However as it stands NH isn't as good as it could be and I want something better, something that will give that meaning back to the game as well as that sense of achievement.

This pack is also to show exactly what kopernicus is capable of, as I have no external files in the game so everything is generated by kittopia & kopernicus.

As for a NH expansion...that's not what I'm achieving with this pack. The planets of UL are a completely different art style to NH so they might clash, plus NH was made for the stock bodies to be stock...apart from maybe a texture upgrade :wink:

See that's the point to my packs, to make people think anew. See I'm so bored of the stock system, everything has become so routine that I don't see any point in playing anymore, I know exactly what I need to build as a minimum to land & return from other worlds so I honestly don't see the point in playing at all. That is the exact reason I started NH, to breathe new life into the game! However as it stands NH isn't as good as it could be and I want something better, something that will give that meaning back to the game as well as that sense of achievement.

This pack is also to show exactly what kopernicus is capable of, as I have no external files in the game so everything is generated by kittopia & kopernicus.

As for a NH expansion...that's not what I'm achieving with this pack. The planets of UL are a completely different art style to NH so they might clash, plus NH was made for the stock bodies to be stock...apart from maybe a texture upgrade :wink:

Hmm. If making the game feel fresh and new is important, what about trying new and different types of starting locations. Probus' Little Green Men From Mars made me appreciate that even if it is much easier to get into orbit around Mars than Earth, getting back is far more difficult.

Wow that is the best look moon ever so familiar yet subtly alien. Amazing! Would you consider laythe for the next video I would love to see the creation on a body with water.

Thanks dude. TBH Laythe would be a very boring video, as it doesn't have any land anymore :wink:

I'll have a look through my recordings folder and see what footage looks good for you lot.

I have been working under a checklist of distinct "phases" for the pack, and I'm happy to day that at this stage phase 1 of the pack is almost complete.

My mental checklist goes like this

1. Terrain creation
  2. Ground textures
  3. ScaledSpace transitions
  4. Finalizing orbital allignments
  5. Science Integration (Biomes/SciDefs)
  6. Mod Compatibility

With the work on phase 1 almost being complete, the rest of the steps shouldn't take so long to get under way. Which is good news for people interested in having a look at what I've been doing. When the time comes that steps 1, 2 & 3 are complete there will be a developmental build available for people to check out.

Thanks dude. TBH Laythe would be a very boring video, as it doesn't have any land anymore :wink:

I'll have a look through my recordings folder and see what footage looks good for you lot.

I have been working under a checklist of distinct "phases" for the pack, and I'm happy to day that at this stage phase 1 of the pack is almost complete.

My mental checklist goes like this

1. Terrain creation
  2. Ground textures
  3. ScaledSpace transitions
  4. Finalizing orbital allignments
  5. Science Integration (Biomes/SciDefs)
  6. Mod Compatibility

With the work on phase 1 almost being complete, the rest of the steps shouldn't take so long to get under way. Which is good news for people interested in having a look at what I've been doing. When the time comes that steps 1, 2 & 3 are complete there will be a developmental build available for people to check out.

Truly my desire to see laythe was personal. I want to try it out on kerbin myself. I want to have a large system size, but hate how when using color maps results in flat terrain and attempt to increase reult in mesas more than mountain. Other than that I have played a bit with Kittopia in the past, but have no idea how to set up kerbin to play with procedural generation. I don't expect you to go out of your way to detail things as you're still working on it yourself, but if you have footage of Eve or kerbin I would love to see it when you have time. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.