War Thunder - Screenshots and Discussion thread!

Columbia

Did they add an entire line of British tanks? I've tried loading it up a few times, but waiting 30 minutes to an hour for it to update is much less appealing than completing my Crusade on Cairo in Medieval II: TW. 

I really ought to update this game, I need to get the Fw-190.

On 12/22/2015 at 8:25 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

Did they add an entire line of British tanks? I've tried loading it up a few times, but waiting 30 minutes to an hour for it to update is much less appealing than completing my Crusade on Cairo in Medieval II: TW. 

I really ought to update this game, I need to get the Fw-190.

They added the first few in 1.53, but they were premium. 1.55 adds an actual tech tree for it (And no paying!) 

I think the Fw 190 is really great, got a kill in it in my first game.. which was RB (First time i got a kill in that gamemode too) and got two kills with it in another. It's roll rate is also quite nice, I've been able to evade attacks by madly rolling from left to right, something that's probably not as easy in the Bf 109s.

In other news, grinding for the Bf 109 F-4.. I made my loadout have three Bf 109s in it just to make grind somewhat easier. 

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Ugh, Bf-109s are so hard to use effectively that whenever I fly German planes now I usually find myself flying Stukas or the Pasta Bomber. The Fw-190 will be a godsend.

Have you gotten the E-4 variant? That one is really nice. 

Though to be honest Stukas are hard for me to use, especially because of their horrid roll rate.

11 hours ago, Columbia said:

Have you gotten the E-4 variant? That one is really nice. 

Though to be honest Stukas are hard for me to use, especially because of their horrid roll rate.

I have the E-3, but not the E-4. The biggest problem for me is how the 109s controls freeze up when in a dive, it makes BnZ next to impossible to pull off. 

I usually use Stukas with a friend of mine, and we always get the Bastogne map, so we fly right to the back of the map and bomb the truck convoy. If I aim my bombs right, I can normally hit at least three trucks, and then I can turn around and kill the others with my machine guns. If the other team hasn't showed up by then, I head back to the airfield and rearm. If they do show up, I can usually shoot some down with my turret. Believe it or not, I have survived sorties like this more than once.

In other news, I got the Do-217 night fighter, and I see no reason why anyone would fly that thing. It flies worse than the space shuttle, and it's turrets don't shoot worth a damn! Well, at least it's painted black...

24 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I have the E-3, but not the E-4. The biggest problem for me is how the 109s controls freeze up when in a dive, it makes BnZ next to impossible to pull off. 

I usually use Stukas with a friend of mine, and we always get the Bastogne map, so we fly right to the back of the map and bomb the truck convoy. If I aim my bombs right, I can normally hit at least three trucks, and then I can turn around and kill the others with my machine guns. If the other team hasn't showed up by then, I head back to the airfield and rearm. If they do show up, I can usually shoot some down with my turret. Believe it or not, I have survived sorties like this more than once.

In other news, I got the Do-217 night fighter, and I see no reason why anyone would fly that thing. It flies worse than the space shuttle, and it's turrets don't shoot worth a damn! Well, at least it's painted black...

Oh, I see. 

To be honest i find it harder to make the Stukas useful because.. well, I'd rather be using guns than bombs to destroy light targets, and it takes a really powerful bomb just to knock out a tank. And even then, you need it to be pinpoint accurate. (Well, that's the purpose of dive bombing..) I do use it for light targets, but I have a terrible habit of flying so low above the ground and using the bombs there, which often results in be being destroyed by the bomb itself.

I have the Do 217 as well, when I test flew it it was an absolute disappointment for the grind for the same reasons you stated (especially maneuverability).. and by that time, I was already halfway into research so I had to continue. Ah well. At least i have a "replacement" for the Bf 110 when I create a higher-Tier-II loadout.

Grinding for the Fw-190 with a guy I met. I'm so close, my eyes say "Keep going, you can get it!", but my brain says "Turn that damn thing off you imbecile, you'll be so slammed tomorrow morning, you won't care that it's Christmas!"

I guess I had better listen to my brain...

kTGyaUt.jpg

EDIT: Is mine now!OuoSlmM.jpg

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Is mine now!

Trevs, prepare yo' wallet, The later 190s (Which start to be called Doras since they are the "D" Series) Are to be used properly or die whit a painful repair bill they cost a hell, BUT they are still worth, not as armed as their earlier variants but they finally manage to perform as well as a 109 on high altitude (Mostly the Tank Ta 152, which is tricky to play on stock as i heard).

You dont want to fly it low, the plane takes its time to get at high altitude, but it will put you out of most bomber-fighters reach (and will also prevent you from getting targeted first). i've seen Dora 9s at almost 8k meters, believe me the D series are Bf-109 alike, and the Ta 152 flies properly at higher altitudes.

The A series:

A1- It performs kinda silly, still gotta climb.

A4, A5, A5/U2- For the A4 and A5 its best preferred to pursue big targets and BnZ. A5/U2 is kinda like the A1 but has 2 addond pods whit 2 20mm guns on each wing so its play still is to be played depending on how you wanna equip it.

A8- Its a monster!, its best preferred againist bombers (AKA bomber shredder by excellency). Its kinda a return to the A4 or A5.

F8- NOT INTENDED AS FIGHTER, but they still can shot things down anyway... the thing whit the F8s is that they are mostly ground attackers (and thats the reason why they have a lot of bomb configurations). To get the best from this variant i would recommend to play it at Ground Forces as backup fast bomber.

Those are my simplest tips i can give from my time flying most of the A series. Also: The early Bf-109 variants are crappy, the first good one is the F-4 (It used to be my highest scoring plane of WT, now Ki-43-III btw), after that one every Bf-109 becomes a viable option of plane... i just got my K-4 by the way :D.

Edited by Zaryulenko

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2015 at 1:38 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

So what's the best way to fly an Fw-190? I know the 109s are supposed to be taken up to a crazy high altitude for Boom n Zoom, but it seems to me that the Fw-190 is a low altitude fighter. 

In truth, I found the climb rate laughable compared to the Bf 109.

• 3 months later...

Couldn't help it, i know this thread is old and you have probably gone far into the game, but here's some screenshots of playing WT f2p for 5 months.

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.41.04.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.41.24.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.41.34.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.41.50.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.41.58.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.42.06.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.42.25.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.42.38.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.42.47.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.42.52.jpg

file:///C:/WarThunder/Screenshots/shot%202016.06.05%2008.43.01.jpg

hope you like them. maybe i'll come back to this thread. maybe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm a bit of a WT noob... I started with the American fighters because 'Merica, **** Yeah!, but they are mostly for BnZ, and I'm horrid at that. I've lately been working towards the F4F, and now I'm looking to the Corsair and P-40. I have been more of a ground attack guy, and whenever I go for an air unit kill, I usually get shot down. I've been hearing that the British planes are good dogfighters (AKA turn fights), which is what I'm better at, but the American planes just don't seem to turn as well. Should I start on to the Brits?

On 12/27/2015 at 1:38 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

So what's the best way to fly an Fw-190? I know the 109s are supposed to be taken up to a crazy high altitude for Boom n Zoom, but it seems to me that the Fw-190 is a low altitude fighter. 

On the contrary, the Fw 190 is nowhere near a low-altitude fighter. The 109, on the other hand, well, it can Boom and Zoom but that's not exaclty what it's for -- It's for energy fighting. (Still don't know how it works, but..)

Also, the Friedrich variants are a godsend when it comes to climb rate in the 109.

1 hour ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

So I'm a bit of a WT noob... I started with the American fighters because 'Merica, **** Yeah!, but they are mostly for BnZ, and I'm horrid at that. I've lately been working towards the F4F, and now I'm looking to the Corsair and P-40. I have been more of a ground attack guy, and whenever I go for an air unit kill, I usually get shot down. I've been hearing that the British planes are good dogfighters (AKA turn fights), which is what I'm better at, but the American planes just don't seem to turn as well. Should I start on to the Brits?

I'm also terrible at BnZ, and the tutorials in Youtube don't help at all. The P-40 in my experience is rather underperforming right now, and I haven't flown the Corsiars.

The American planes are, really, really, really horrid at turnfighting. The Brits are good for all-around fighting (Spitfire) but not all of them are -- The Hurricanes have a different playstyle, I heard.

If you really want to pursue dogfighting, the Japanese planes are superior, but prepare to be hit by paper armor, marginal armament and high repair costs.

Hey, I thought this thread was dead, good to see it back!

Man, I haven't played War Thunder for over a month now, maybe it's time to get back into it.

Although if they've had a major update since then I can expect to spend most of the next month waiting for it to install.

EDIT: @Columbia I did get the Bf-109 F-4 and the 15mm gunpods for it, and I've got to say, it's a magnificent plane! Plenty of armament, astonishing climb rate and very good speed as well.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

As I remember it, the American and German planes all broadly tend towards Boom'n'Zoom fighting, while the Japanese are pretty much pure turn fighters (the Americans have one or two turn fighters as well, but I can't remember which on. P-47 maybe?). For the Brits, the Spitfires are turn fighters, but Hurricans and Typhoons are more biased towards energy fighting like the Americans. Also, I think they list some altitude stats don't they? A lot of the earlier American planes for example are complete and utter garbage at any significant altitude if I remember correctly, and I think some of the British planes have the same issues.

Keep in mind, if you are playing arcade mode...none of this really matters. The flight models in arcade are so washy washy that basically everything except the non Beaufighter attack planes can do anything. By that I mean that energy fighting (BnZ) is basically impossible in arcade, because things like the zeros and spitfires can just stand on WEP and they'll basically accelerate to match you in seconds. By the same token, you can totally out dogfight a spitfire in a P40, or fly circles around one in an F2A. I don't know which mode you are in though. If you get shot down every time you engage a plane, that sounds like realistic, and that is expected.

As a thought, if you are playing without mouse controls, particularly in realistic mode, take a plane out in arcade mode with mouse controls on and pay attention to how the computer flies for you. Turning a fighter using only the ailerons and elevators is wrong. You must use the rudder as well, or you'll scrub speed in your turns, which is bad for all combat styles. If you go in the cockpit on any plane with a slip indicator, it's really easy to compensate; you simply turn the rudder to zero out the slip indicator (I think most of these planes have that indicator. It's honestly been so long I can't remember if I just had to wing it). Also, never make a level turn in a dogfight. It's harder to explain without pictures, but basically you can execute a tight turn by flying up for the first half of the turn, and then going back down through the second half to end up at the same altitude. It's sort of the flying equivalent of banked turns on a race track. I think they have a wiki with a bunch of maneuvers on it. Some of them are extremely useful.

Edited by Randox

On 28 August 2016 at 9:38 PM, Randox said:

If you get shot down every time you engage a plane, that sounds like realistic, and that is expected.

Actually, I'd disagree with that claim.

Of course you can get shot down in your first engagement, but it shouldn't be expected.

Im not the best pilot, and I often find myself making rookie mistakes, but I like to fly by these words: "Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"

Basically, having the altitude advantage over your opponent means you have a much higher chance of coming out on top. While you are above the opponent, you are the one who controls the dogfight. Also, if you look after altitude, speed normally looks after itself (Unless you enter the dogfight finishing your climb, in which case you'll normally be slower than the enemy). Sometimes the enemy will be too eager, and stall climb up to you, this is the perfect opportunity, but be aware, they will be able to get some good shots towards you, and it is your responsibility not to get hit. After this, the enemy will begin to stall, and when this happens, go in for the kill.

If you are a turn-fighter and find yourself being dived upon, pull a corkscrew manuever, or something similar. As the enemy is going much faster than you, they will not be able to turn as well, and won't be able to follow you, at this point they will probably overtake you, giving you a small chance to shoot them down as they pass by. Keep in mind that corkscrew manuevers are more effective in a plane with good roll rate.

These, plus a plethora of different manuevers, tactics, and play styles, will give you the edge in RB, I learnt these things by watching people play WT on YouTube, such as PhlyDaily, or even the WT official channel.

The in-game encyclopaedia is also a great source of information, so I recommend that everyone checks it out.

Also, I'll be back later with some nice screenshots :)

Edited by V7 Aerospace

On 9/3/2016 at 7:54 AM, V7 Aerospace said:

Actually, I'd disagree with that claim.

Of course you can get shot down in your first engagement, but it shouldn't be expected.

That's fair, and I should have qualified that better. What I mean is that if you are new to realistic or simulator modes, you probably aren't going to shoot many people down at first. For myself, I like realistic a lot more than arcade, but I've never played it enough to get very good at it. I've shot people down, and I've been shot down many more times :D

Edited by Randox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.