[1.7.3 & 1.11.0] Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered v2.5.0 & pre-2.6.0.0 (2021-January-19)

Whirligig Girl

Greg, how about this for a modified EVE config for Alternis?:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62531235/BoulderCo.zip

I modified only the configs for Jool and Eve.  I left the cloud textures alone for both (don't know really how to change them) but adjusted the color and opacity quite a bit.  They aren't terribly noticeable on Jool, but I prefer the subtle enhancement they give, especially along the terminator.

The Eve layers I really messed around with, changing colors and opacities.  

Here it is with an adjusted Scatterer install.  Someone who knows more of what they are doing may have to tweak these settings.  I tried to make the atmosphere as opaque as possible while also still keeping the yellow Venus theme going.  It originally made the whole planet fuzzy and kind of a vaguely yellow-ish pink, and then somehow by accident I got it looking pretty good, but some of the atmosphere height scales may need adjusting.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62531235/Eve%20Scatterer%20Settings.cf

As you can see, the sun is very indistinct, and the atmosphere turned out to be very yellow from the surface, which seems to be pretty accurate.  Honestly, I think it needs more haze, but I'm not sure how to do that.

gUgFJGp.jpg

Hi everyone, I am having a bit of a problem with this mod. When I drop the AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered folder into Gamedata and launch KSP in 64-bit mode, nothing changes. The solar system is the stock one still. What am I doing wrong?

Just now, Keudn said:

Hi everyone, I am having a bit of a problem with this mod. When I drop the AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered folder into Gamedata and launch KSP in 64-bit mode, nothing changes. The solar system is the stock one still. What am I doing wrong?

You updated your game to 1.1.1.  Alternis requires Kopernicus, which hasn't been updated for 1.1.1 yet.  

Just now, Cetera said:

You updated your game to 1.1.1.  Alternis requires Kopernicus, which hasn't been updated for 1.1.1 yet.  

Ahhhh I didn't even realize there was another update to KSP already, my bad!

Lol, no worries.  There has been all kinds of drama in the Kopernicus thread about it.  People try to use Kopernicus when it hasn't been updated, and it breaks things, so the mod author specifically removed the ability of Kopernicus to run at all without the exact version it was built for.  

Hi there!  I backed up my KSP v1.1 (I have a tidy little collection of versions growing!) and then performed a complete uninstall / KSP folder delete / reinstall through Steam to v1.1.1.  I'm using CKAN to build a new modset, and things are going surprisingly well, through predictably slow since I intentionally allow CKAN's default behavior of rather strictly enforcing version mismatches with mods.  As mods get updated in the repository for being compatible with v1.1.1, the modlist that I can choose from grows.

I'm trying to install the Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered Flags mod.  When listing all mods, the download size of this (113535) is actually larger than the system-changing mod itself [listed as not-yet compatible, of course] at 109893, both sizes listed by CKAN in KB.  Notably, the flags-mod leads me to this thread, but the CKAN-metadata forum page for the actual mod itself simply points to the Github page (is this intentional?)

Anyway, I'm trying to install just the flag set and not the mod itself for the time being.  This was before I saw literally the last discussion before my own in this forum thread, discussing the forcible suppression of Kopernicus.  Before coming here, I did manually verify my GameData folder and only AlternisKerbolFlags is placed there from this mod entry.  I navigated to the CKAN download cache, and the zipfile there "B2FDC149-AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered-flags-1.5" nevertheless contains three folders: AlternisKerbolFlags, AlternisKerbol, and Kopernicus.  I emphasize, the second and third folders have not been copied into my GameData folder, and I am not asking for them to be copied, since what I'm looking for is the flag set and not the mod itself.

Is this intentional?  Is this a result of the Kopernicus suppression discussed before I got here?  Will an update to Kopernicus cause this mod to spontaneously activate?  Is there really more than 100MB of data in a simple flagset?  I fully intend to run this mod at some point, but for now I'm designing a modset with a different Kopernicus-build in mind.

Thanks!

@GregroxMun It appears that Alternis Rekerjiggered isn't working with the 1.1.2 version of Kopernicus, now that it is finally out.  I have no idea why.  If I put Alternis into my GameData folder, module manager gets hung somewhere with Kopernicus.  If I take it out, the game loads fine, but obviously without Alternis.  Is there something I might be doing to screw this up?

@MisterFister I'm not sure how CKAN is set up for the flags vs. the entire Alternis Rekerjiggered mod.  The Alternis flags folder on my install is only a couple hundred kb.

On 26 April 2016 at 3:46 PM, jpinard said:

This is really beautiful work GregroxMun.  How hard would it be for me to get these around their own star way out in the distance like "Other Worlds"?

GalacticNeighborhood :) 

On 5/3/2016 at 4:04 PM, Cetera said:

@GregroxMun It appears that Alternis Rekerjiggered isn't working with the 1.1.2 version of Kopernicus, now that it is finally out.  I have no idea why.  If I put Alternis into my GameData folder, module manager gets hung somewhere with Kopernicus.  If I take it out, the game loads fine, but obviously without Alternis.  Is there something I might be doing to screw this up?

Are you sure it's not just generating the scaledspace caches? I think there's a few that are not already included. Let me check this out, give me a few moments.

On 4/30/2016 at 2:18 AM, MisterFister said:

Hi there!  I backed up my KSP v1.1 (I have a tidy little collection of versions growing!) and then performed a complete uninstall / KSP folder delete / reinstall through Steam to v1.1.1.  I'm using CKAN to build a new modset, and things are going surprisingly well, through predictably slow since I intentionally allow CKAN's default behavior of rather strictly enforcing version mismatches with mods.  As mods get updated in the repository for being compatible with v1.1.1, the modlist that I can choose from grows.

I'm trying to install the Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered Flags mod.  When listing all mods, the download size of this (113535) is actually larger than the system-changing mod itself [listed as not-yet compatible, of course] at 109893, both sizes listed by CKAN in KB.  Notably, the flags-mod leads me to this thread, but the CKAN-metadata forum page for the actual mod itself simply points to the Github page (is this intentional?)

Anyway, I'm trying to install just the flag set and not the mod itself for the time being.  This was before I saw literally the last discussion before my own in this forum thread, discussing the forcible suppression of Kopernicus.  Before coming here, I did manually verify my GameData folder and only AlternisKerbolFlags is placed there from this mod entry.  I navigated to the CKAN download cache, and the zipfile there "B2FDC149-AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered-flags-1.5" nevertheless contains three folders: AlternisKerbolFlags, AlternisKerbol, and Kopernicus.  I emphasize, the second and third folders have not been copied into my GameData folder, and I am not asking for them to be copied, since what I'm looking for is the flag set and not the mod itself.

Is this intentional?  Is this a result of the Kopernicus suppression discussed before I got here?  Will an update to Kopernicus cause this mod to spontaneously activate?  Is there really more than 100MB of data in a simple flagset?  I fully intend to run this mod at some point, but for now I'm designing a modset with a different Kopernicus-build in mind.

Thanks!

First off: don't come to me with CKAN problems. I neither use nor support CKAN. As for the size of the flag pack: It should be fairly minuscule. IIRC they're only six or so 256x128 textures.

TL;DR Install the mod manually.

On 4/28/2016 at 0:33 PM, Cetera said:

Here it is with an adjusted Scatterer install.  Someone who knows more of what they are doing may have to tweak these settings.  I tried to make the atmosphere as opaque as possible while also still keeping the yellow Venus theme going.  It originally made the whole planet fuzzy and kind of a vaguely yellow-ish pink, and then somehow by accident I got it looking pretty good, but some of the atmosphere height scales may need adjusting.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62531235/Eve%20Scatterer%20Settings.cf

As you can see, the sun is very indistinct, and the atmosphere turned out to be very yellow from the surface, which seems to be pretty accurate.  Honestly, I think it needs more haze, but I'm not sure how to do that.

gUgFJGp.jpg

Are the oceans still purple or is it black? I can't tell in that picture. Looks great by the way.

1 hour ago, GregroxMun said:

Are the oceans still purple or is it black? I can't tell in that picture. Looks great by the way.

I honestly don't know.  I didn't pay much attention to the oceans.  Looking at the video again, they look awfully dark, but I didn't mess with any settings for the water.  I honestly have almost no understanding of how scatterer actually works.  What you see above was several hours of complete trial and error with a few settings, lol.  

I also can't go check and see, as I still can't seem to get Alternis to load anymore.  It completely hangs with module manager and Kopernicus.  I let it try to grind through it for more than an hour, when it worked after about 10 minutes in 1.1.

On 5/4/2016 at 7:43 PM, Cetera said:

I honestly don't know.  I didn't pay much attention to the oceans.  Looking at the video again, they look awfully dark, but I didn't mess with any settings for the water.  I honestly have almost no understanding of how scatterer actually works.  What you see above was several hours of complete trial and error with a few settings, lol.  

I also can't go check and see, as I still can't seem to get Alternis to load anymore.  It completely hangs with module manager and Kopernicus.  I let it try to grind through it for more than an hour, when it worked after about 10 minutes in 1.1.

Both I and @Sigma88 were able to load Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered 1.6 in KSP 1.1.2. Have you tried re-installing KSP or the Module Manager/Kopernicus plugins?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2016 at 9:08 PM, BigFatStupidHead said:

Thanks for keeping Alternis alive, GregroxMun. But I now have a dilemma; do I install this, revamped stock Kerbol, or Lathe Space Program! 

Alternis is more or less finished (so it should be more stable), Revamped Stock Kerbol is my current favorite project (but less finished/stable), and Laythe Space Program is good for if all you want is a new perspective on the stock system.

On 5/22/2016 at 9:59 AM, Galacticvoyager said:

got a 1.1.2 download?

Config mods don't change from version to version. It works in 1.1.2 and it will probably work in 1.1.3.

EDIT: The config doesn't need changing, KSP itself does. 1.1.3 broke reparenting Kerbin (i.e. moving Kerbin to orbit Jool) in a way that Kopernicus can not fix. Do not bug Thomas or the Kopernicus developers, because he can't fix it. Bug Squad all you want though. Still though, as far as the planets working and being in the right place and looking correct, the mod works in 1.1.3.

Edited by GregroxMun

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2015 at 7:57 PM, GregroxMun said:

CAUTION: ORBITAL INSTABILITY with 1.1.3.

Unfortunately, due to changes made to KSP in 1.1.3, there are some serious bugs that happen when a mod reparents Kerbin, such as what Alternis Kerbol, New Horizons, and several other mods do. This is not something that can be fixed by Kopernicus, so please do not bug Thomas or the Kopernicus team about it! 

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IN 1.1.3, you will have to use Principia and the Principia-Compatibility-Settings in Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered's config file. Either that or just deal with your Kerbin orbits breaking to bits.

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WITHOUT PRINCIPIA OR AS MANY BUGS, you will have to use KSP 1.1.2.

EDIT: Apparently these orbital problems only happen when you timewarp in the space center screen. So don't do that and you might be fine.
EDIT2: Apparently they happen when you're in the space center screen, timewarp or not.

dmOap2l.png

Alternis--the God of Change and Difference--decided to smite the heck out of the Kerbal's home solar system. This is what happened.

Download 1.6 at GitHub

Visual Enhancements by @Cetera
E.V.E. cloud configs
Scatterer Pack

Alternis Rekerjiggered Classic (none of my extra changes to Eve and Moho) can be found here.

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered is the (properly done) rerelease of the classic, wonderful, and beautiful v0.23 mod for KSP: Alternis Kerbol. It grabs and re-arranges the solar system bodies to create something new. Almost all bodies have been changed somehow, be it in a large way or a small way. Two objects are even comets.

The mod also includes PlanetShine and DistantObject configs. You must install those mods first, then overwrite their configs. I very much recommend PlanetShine. For extra contrast between space and objects, I recommend a dark skybox of some kind.

There are currently no cloud configs for Alternis Kerbol. If you would like to create a cloud pack, I would endorse it and provide a link in this post and the KerbalStuff description.

An optional Moonlet Bop is available. It can be used by placing Extras/GameData/AlternisMoonlet into your KSP GameData folder alongwith the AlternisKerbol folder.

The most important gameplay change of Alternis Kerbol is that Kerbin orbits the gas planet Jool, along with several other moons. This means that it can be easier to fly to neighboring bodies such as Mun, Laythe, Minmus, Bop, and Pol. What makes up for it is how difficult the remaining bodies are to get to.

New in 1.6 (Moho, Eve, fixed Tylo)
All pics taken in 1.0.5, but the mod does work in 1.1

Eve rings are toggleable in Settings.cfg

New in 1.5.1 (Pictures show moonlet Bop and Trees on Laythe.)

New pics from 1.5

Old pics from 1.4 and older (most of them still somewhat accurate)

here's a link to some Alternis-flavored stockalike flags

Here's the list of changes, as true as possible to the original Alternis Kerbol mod.

Changes

• Jool: Moved to Kerbin's original orbital position, blu-ified.
  • Bop: By default, the inclination is lowered. Optionally, you can enable a Kerbin Moonlet that makes Bop tiny, dense, and orbiting Kerbin.
  • Pol: Inclination lowered
  • Kerbin: Now orbits Jool at the same place Tylo used to.
  • Eve: Colored yellow, optionally enableable rings.
  • Laythe: Redone entirely, now a jungle moon with varied terrain, more land, and, eventually, trees. (Panspermia's a heckuva thing.)
  • Minmus: Orbits Jool beneath Laythe, now 29km in radius (from 60), and deep reddish orange.
  • Tylo: orbits the sun a bit past Duna's original orbit, radius increased to 1103 km and surface gravity is 4g, plus an atmosphere 50% the density of Kerbin's.
  • Duna: Orbits Tylo, completely new terrain.
  • Moho: Orbit moved inward and made more eccentric.
  • Gilly: Small comet, shrunk to 8.5km radius.
  • Ike: Fat comet, shrunk to 17.5km radius.
  • Mun: Relocated to Jool orbit, replacing Vall, enlarged to 257km radius.
  • Vall: Now orbits Eeloo, shrunk to 99.8 km radius.
  • Eeloo: Moved outward, increased to ~500 km radius, less eccentric and inclined orbit.
  • Dres: First moon of Tylo.
  • Lighting: Ambient light now nonexistent in space, dimmer on planet surfaces. Sun is slightly reddish-yellow and casts a harsh, warmer light.
  • Sun: Shrunk to 7500km, gravity increased to keep planetary speeds the same.
  • General: Most orbits have at least some inclination and eccentricity now, as opposed to being perfect circles like the Kerbin system.
  • Science: Science configs have been made for all modified bodies. They do not overwrite the stock ones permanantly, but the stock ones will not appear while the mod is installed.

Known Problems

• Timewarp limits have not been changed from stock. I use Warp-Unlocker which removes the altitude limits for timewarp. Recommend you do the same.
  • Minmus' craters at the Flats level are below "sea" level, so they have lighting/camera bugs. Original Alternis also had this issue.
  • The KSC view is often bugged when Kerbin is re-parented (Sun-->Jool) and there is nothing that can be done about it. Flight view and all editors are fine.*
  • *except rarely when it isn't. Don't time-warp in the space center view. If you do get the jagged terrain bug, revert to VAB and relaunch.

Recommended or Compatible Mods

Thanks To

• @NovaSilisko, for creating the original mod. This literally could not possibly exist without him.
  • @Thomas P. and others, for maintaining and developing Kopernicus.
  • @Thomas P., @KillAshley, @NathanKell, and @Sigma88 for helping me with my really newbish mistakes early on and my really dumb mistakes later.

it is so unfortunate that this bugs out ksp 1.1.3, theres no other mods that add plant life on other worlds im pretty sure

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.