[1.7.3 & 1.11.0] Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered v2.5.0 & pre-2.6.0.0 (2021-January-19)

Whirligig Girl

Thanks for the update!

BTW, I love polar distortions.  IMHO, the #1 tourist destination in all of KSP is the south pole of Tekto in OPM (at least as of 1 year ago) .  Polar distortion to the max :).  And of course the famous Mohole (at least in stock) is also polar distortion.  So please don't feel you need to iron such things out on my account :wink:

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Thanks for the update!

BTW, I love polar distortions.  IMHO, the #1 tourist destination in all of KSP is the south pole of Tekto in OPM (at least as of 1 year ago) .  Polar distortion to the max :).  And of course the famous Mohole (at least in stock) is also polar distortion.  So please don't feel you need to iron such things out on my account :wink:

Dres' polar distortion was just weirdly shaped and stretched craters in the higher latitudes. Nothing interesting like a Mohole or the Polar Munar Bumps.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with asteroids in the Jool system.  Asteroids sometimes spawn in Jool orbit well inside Minmus, like little moonlets.  However, these orbits aren't stable.  I've tracked all 3 that I've noticed so far and all have been ejected from the Jool system.  The 1st is now in solar orbit with a Pe down by Moho and an Ap out near Tylo.  The other 2 are now on hyperbolic escape trajectories from the entire solar system.

A year or so ago in 1.1, I was playing in the New Horizons system, which also has Kerbin as a gas giant moon.  Back then, due to some Kopernicus issue, you could leave nothing in Kerbin's orbit or it would also be ejected like this, although orbiting the gas giant was stable.  Now it appears to be the other way around.  I've had stuff in orbit around Kerbin and Bop for some time now and their orbits haven't changed, but stuff in Jool orbit is getting ejected.  I therefore suspect this is more of a Kopernicus problem than an Alternis problem, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

After reading the great feedback about the Alternis Kerbol mod and working within the vanilla/OPM solar system for a few years I was excited to try the new solar system out. I am still working in KSP 1.2.1 because it takes a long time in RL to get anything done. I was not sure if the latest download of the mod would incorporate into the old version of the game. After making a copy of the KSP 1.2.1 folder I copied in mod files and tried to start the game up.

It did start ok, upon inspection Duna is missing completely. I’m unsure whether I’ll be able to copy it in from another version but for now I thought might be interesting to take the Kerbals from my previous save who were just launching their first Kerballed Duna mission after working towards it for 7 years (career mode) and ‘start again’ in the new system. Once I get the story going I’ll post in Mission Reports.

@GregroxMun., I'm having a problem with SCANsat in Alternis Kerbol.  SCANsat works OK except the Big Map is useless.  This has a list of Celestial Bodies to display, but the only things on that list are The Sun and Jool.  So here's what happens.

• Let's say I try to scan Kerbin (or Bop, or anything else except The Sun and Jool)
  • While scanning this body, the Small Map shows the terrain being filled in, % complete of the scan is accurate, and science reports for doing the scan generate as they should.
  • Once the scan is complete, I try to look at it on the Big Map, but can't because on The Sun and Jool are on the list.

I asked @DMagic about this on the SCANsat thread.  He said this was a known issue and the work-around was to do a little scanning of The Sun and Jool.  This was supposed to populate the Celestial Bodies list.  So I did that but it didn't work.  This makes me wonder if there's also something I need to do from the Alternis Kerbol end.  Got any ideas?

Thanks.

@GregroxMun, I found a rather..unfortunately placed.    surface collider on Bop.  No surprise, given the jagged topography, but it might be something you can fix.

Sadly, I can't give exact coordinates.  All I know is, it was in the middle of the depression shown here below the lander.  The lander went straight down from this point.

37416400726_1b211338d2_h.jpg

All went well until 1227m ASL, and still well above the bottom of the depression. Then BANG!  The lander can and the fragile stuff above it exploded on impact with Bop, while the tougher lander legs and engine continued on.

37416400096_9c351eb9cf_h.jpg

37416399766_4f2470435b_h.jpg

If the above pics don't pinpoint the problem area, I can send you my save, where there's some wreckage on the ground below the problem collider.  It rolled a little down-hill but not that far.

46 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I don't think there's a fix for it. Stock Pol has a similar problem, as does AlterPol

Well, you obviously know more about building planets than I do so I'll take your word for it.  However, I could have sworn I remembered Squad improving stock Pol's collider a while back, like around when 1.0 came out. IIRC, they didn't totally fix it but it's not a suicidal to land there as it used to be.  But OTOH, I could well be mistaken about all that.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, you obviously know more about building planets than I do so I'll take your word for it.  However, I could have sworn I remembered Squad improving stock Pol's collider a while back, like around when 1.0 came out. IIRC, they didn't totally fix it but it's not a suicidal to land there as it used to be.  But OTOH, I could well be mistaken about all that.

Pol's colliders have been broken for as long as I've been planet modding, which I started in 1.0.4.

7 hours ago, plausse said:

How suitably cruel :blush:

It did feel to good to be true...

The leading theory among armchair planetary scientists is that Bop is 24-carat gold core with a crust of nickel-iron and a sprinkling of pulverized steel regolith.

The leading theory among professionals of the Kerbal Astronomical Society is that Bop is mAdE oF dEsPaIR aNd AgOnY.

10 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

The leading theory among professionals of the Kerbal Astronomical Society is that Bop is mAdE oF dEsPaIR aNd AgOnY.

I'll agree with that.  You can't see it at all without DOE until you're about to enter its tiny SOI, and you'd better have your encounter straight long beforehand or you'll crash into it.  Surviving landing is luck of the draw.  Getting home again makes you switch back and forth between Bop's and Kerbin's SOI countless times, often making you wonder if you've actually achieved escape velocity.  It's worth the T-shirt but not a place I'd spend any time developing.

Hey, can you try to make this mod work better with OPM? When I tried using them together, some of my craft disappeared or appeared on different bodies. Eeloo was also orbiting at 8.0 m/s, despite only being a bit further out than Plock which orbits at around 1800-2200 m/s.

As there was no shown solution to the "ships teleporting inside Jool" bug, and the 1.3.1 update made my game crash with the outdated mods, I had no choice but to abandon that save and create a new one, HyperEditing my crafts back on Laythe again. (Trust me, it's harder and more frustrating than it sounds like; at least I could redesign the base to be more part-efficient and have some things I forgot to send) I managed to place it in an area that actually has trees, and boy... I see you added even more alien-like trees to Laythe. Compared to the trees that had golden rings or sunflowers growing on them, the trees with giant eyeball textures actually look pretty unnerving for me.

Guess I'll have to take care not to let these specimen somehow escape to Kerbin. A sudden burst of eyeball trees isn't something people would like to see. (Though I'm sure there'd be lots of Kerbals who would like to try out the eyeballs as if they were alien fruit)

However, please do try to find out what was causing that Jool teleportation issue sometime, please(even though I'll probably use this new savefile in the future). It was reasonably simple to restore what I did since I only set up a ground base and a few probes around(though it was frustrating), but if it happens on a save file that's very advanced with bases on Laythe, Duna, Eeloo and space stations on Eve and Tylo... well, it's going to be extremely frustrating, to say the least.

In another topic, I looked at Eve with the cloud pack, and was amused to find that there's a huge plateau located right above the clouds. Reminds me of the concept for Fonso(a planet with mountains extending above the atmosphere), as well as the idea of having flying cities on Venus, skirming at the upper atmosphere due to being more habitable than the lower atmo. My question is: does that super-tall plateau actually extend above the atmosphere? If so, how difficult would it be to land over there, considering parachutes cannot be relied upon?

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

15 minutes ago, Commissioner Tadpole said:

does that super-tall plateau actually extend above the atmosphere? If so, how difficult would it be to land over there, considering parachutes cannot be relied upon?

go there and find out if you want to know.

I'm also still working on figuring out a better texture for the Eve Trees.

Edited by GregroxMun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.