Re configuration of Root tool

Having just read threads about how to use the Root tool and why it requires clicking two parts the seeds of an idea materialised between my ears...

Change the way the root tool works so that when you hover over the tool button the current Root part gets highlighted (so you can find it easily). When you click the button it automatically selects the current Root, which stays highlighted, you are then prompted to select the new Root part.

Here's what I do, I find this easiest.

Hold shift and pick up the vessel (as if you were going to move it) then press 4 to start the root tool, then click the new root.

But the suggestion is a good one, it's easy to forget where the root is.

But it still wouldn't be possible to radially attach a shuttle onto a rocket, with the decoupler on the rocket.

Not true. I don't remember exactly how but I figured out how to attach radial decouplers in any way needed. I did it for my second attempt at my astro-glider. The original had decoupler struts poking around all over. The second I used the root tool to flip the decouplers around so they all stayed with the original core, and didn't stick to each part.

As it's one of the last beautiful days of the year I don't have time to re-figure it out right now but I'll take a look later tonight or tomorrow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.