[1.0.4] Animated Decouplers

DennyTX

inspired by: starwaster

coded by: belpyro

This is just an extension for moduleDecouple. But unlike of AD it just adds possibility to play animation BEFORE decoupling.

Also, it can catch following:

event (Right mouse click and select item from context menu),

from action (predefined action group),

and while staging.

It should be used instead of stock moduleDecoupler, with same cfg config, just add animation name. If animation name will be missed - will work like regular moduleDecouple.

i know, no pic no click but i really dunno what to show.... but a short movie with simple animated SQUAD brand adapter

also, i guess, it will be useful for modders only

For example:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimatedDecoupler
ejectionForce = 200
explosiveNodeID = top
staged = false
animationName = YourAnimationName
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler
anchorName = anchor
ejectionForce = 200
explosiveNodeID = top
staged = false
}

ModuleManager string:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]
{
@name = ModuleAnimatedDecoupler
}
}

Download from Kerballstuff

source

License: CC-BY-NC

Edited by DennyTX

I would say this is awesome... but without an example part that makes use of this, it's hard to really see the awesomeness of this thing. I can imagine anything from a simple set of clamps being decoupled before the stage is separated, all the way to a complex set of animations such as a petal fairing opening up, the payload being raised out from the rocket with a series of arms, and then the arms detaching from the payload, followed by the official separation.

Most addons are built for a purpose however, and usually in response to a need that isn't being met with the stock modules, which means you likely had an example part that assisted in the development of the added functionality. This part, if it exists, would be useful in showing off what this addon is made to do.

I can give you an example of what an animated decoupler is: the clamp that's used to hold Apollo's Command Module and Service Module together, unlocks and moves away from the CM to decouple it.

The Orion MPCV does the same thing, yes. I assumed that's what he meant. But real life can hardly be compared to KSP, eh?

Do you stage it, and then it runs the animation, and THEN it decouples? Or does it do it all at once?

Yeah, I'm having trouble visualizing what this does. Can you add some pics?
I've got an idea to solve the no pics problem, why not just make a .gif of the animation playing and show it here?

well - simple example movie in first post

The Orion MPCV does the same thing, yes. I assumed that's what he meant. But real life can hardly be compared to KSP, eh?

Do you stage it, and then it runs the animation, and THEN it decouples? Or does it do it all at once?

when u stage it - animation plays - than it decouple

Is this an update of the Animated Decouplers by Starwaster?

No. It used starwaster code as example (you can compare code). Main difference is order for animation. Starwaster mod just provides possibility custom animation playing for part. But animation playing and decouple runs at the same time. This mod waits while animation playing and decouple after finish it for more realistic. Also, we replace all standard events and actions for module decoupler.

No. It used starwaster code as example (you can compare code). Main difference is order for animation. Starwaster mod just provides possibility custom animation playing for part. But animation playing and decouple runs at the same time. This mod waits while animation playing and decouple after finish it for more realistic. Also, we replace all standard events and actions for module decoupler.

Sounds cool! Would be nice to have a decouplers pack with animations as well.

Edited by Enceos

Please change the name of it.

Regardless of any differences in functionality, there is already an actual mod by this name. Even if it doesn't have its own thread it exists, is used by several mods and is present on CKAN.

(hence the confusion in one person already asking if this is an update of my mod)

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers

Edit:

Additionally, it's not just the project name; you've actually named your class ModuleAnimatedDecoupler, same what mine uses.

The way you're going about this is going to conflict if people install both mods.

Edited by Starwaster

well - simple example movie in first post

Perfect, now all questions are answered.

Additionally, it's not just the project name; you've actually named your class ModuleAnimatedDecoupler, same what mine uses.

The way you're going about this is going to conflict if people install both mods.

The question remains now: is it really necessary to have both mods that do the exact same thing in existence? Perhaps a merger is in order, along with some new development into a series of decouplers based on stock decoupler parts with animated parts to be released alongside the plugin. This would effectively transform this from a developer-mod to an end-user mod.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps there could be a boolean field made available to make the action happen simultaneously. That way this module could effectively be a replacement for the previously developed animated decoupler module while adding the extra feature to wait for the animation before decoupling.

Edited by Gaalidas

Perhaps a merger is in order, along with some new development into a series of decouplers based on stock decoupler parts with animated parts to be released alongside the plugin. This would effectively transform this from a developer-mod to an end-user mod.

I can only speak for myself (and do so because you directly quoted/replied to me; I'm not otherwise sure how much of that was actually meant for me) but I have zero intention of making any decoupler parts nor of 'transforming' my own mod to include parts. It exists only in support of other mods that require it (originally SDHI but later, others) and is either linked to on their front pages or listed as a dependency for them in CKAN which then downloads it automatically if another downloaded mod requires it. (as happens with SDHI)

I can only speak for myself (and do so because you directly quoted/replied to me; I'm not otherwise sure how much of that was actually meant for me) but I have zero intention of making any decoupler parts nor of 'transforming' my own mod to include parts.

Fair enough. It was just a thought. Either way, this mod could potentially (after it is renamed properly at the project level and in the module name itself) implement an option to run the animation simultaneously and then be released, along with any parts packages that come about (if they come about at all), as an optional "replacement" for your older mod via an optional MM patch that would simply swap out the module names. If, after a time, the mods that use your module were to switch to use this one explicitly, then you could pretty much pass the torch on and focus that effort somewhere else, keeping the source on the back burner in case this developer goes AWOL on us and a future KSP update breaks it. All just ideas though. My brain is always going on and on like that. (Disclaimer: the above paragraph is not actually geared towards the quoted individual completely, for an explanation, see the following paragraphs.)

Also, you are correct to question if the entire post was directed to you. I tend to write my posts in such a way that the first paragraph after the quote is 99% geared towards the quoted individual, with a reduction of that percentage by roughly 33% of the previous percentage for each additional paragraph. Roughly speaking, that is. With each additional paragraph, the chance that anything I say has anything to do with the quote or, indeed, anything at all will continue to cruise towards an asymptote of zero... about 50% of the time anyway.

If, by this time, you are becoming extremely confused by my above statements, then you need not worry. This is the intended result... well, about 24% of the time anyway. The other 76% is a random factor that I have yet to make sense of, but can find no reason to account for.

What was I talking about again? I think I just lost my train of thought.

well, we'll try to change something. btw, may be it will be good idea to combine both mods? we'll just add a simple flag for the formation of the order of animation. (before, simultaneously, after).

Adding a 'waitForAnimation' is trivial.

Doing it before animation won't have a lot of impact unless there were going to be a significant delay before the animation even starts. Otherwise it would be functionally identical to 'simultaneous'

Ok, so, let me get this straight... Same mod name, same module name, and same code structure yet this mod is still allowed? The original mod's author, Starwaster, has requested you change the name and that seems to be ignored by offering "combining both mods". Starwaster even goes into detail about why he doesn't want to combine the mods and how it would be trivial to even think about adding such an effect. If you want this ability / feature, just make your own mod that isn't a copy of another one that already exists.

Come on man, at least try to have SOME dignity.

Edited by FiiZzioN

• 2 weeks later...
... Same mod name, same module name...

yes, same. may be still my bad...

but if something looks like a cat, behaves like a cat- it means this is a cat

i've spent some time thinking about a name, but how animatedDecoupler can be named yet ?

also, i have asked some friends from forum is this situation a problem for them - got "no".

... and same code...

r u sure? have u even looked into code?

yes, same. may be still my bad...

but if something looks like a cat, behaves like a cat- it means this is a cat

i've spent some time thinking about a name, but how animatedDecoupler can be named yet ?

also, i have asked some friends from forum is this situation a problem for them - got "no".

Pretend you're an end user and install both plugins and then test them and then tell me there is not a problem. (spoiler alert: neither one works)

And since you've given your plugin a landing on the forums, guess where the support requests are going to end up if people actually DO install your plugin?

Except that you go days or even weeks without so much as a peep, so basically they're being hung out to dry.

Your 'friends from forum' aren't giving you good advice.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.