Mod Ideas

SuccinctLemon

I love Stockalike mods, in the style of Tundra Exploration and Tantares, and I was wondering what is not in that sort of mod that people would want. Because I really don't want to steal someone else's idea. What do you think I could do for a simple small mod?

PS. I don't want to confirm that I am actually going to do a mod. It's a MAYBE.

- - - Updated - - -

So sorry everyone if this is in wrong thread section. I didnt know where to put it.

:)

well let's see do you have any experience modding? if not you should probably start simple with no animations or special set ups in unity. Here are some easy types of parts to start...

Fuel tanks: very common but that doesn't mean there isn't room for more especially if you are efficient with your textures. there are some gaps in the coverage of sizes offered by stock tanks or since stock parts are not efficient with their ram you can create flat out replacements. A popular demand right now is pure LF tanks for nuclear engines, another innovative idea to add to that is making pure oxidizer tanks as well for an important reason. Early career makes you stack tanks which make your rocket flip as they drain from top to bottom but if you put a stack of oxidizer on top of liquid fuel the center of mass won't shift as bad when you drain them. This is a trick some tweakable and procedural tank mod users use but those mods rely on plugins that can get buggy if you simply made parts you'd be making a reliable option for when those mods fail, aaaand pure oxidizer tanks open the door to hybrid rocket motors which next to no one has done already though making your own engine parts are a bit trickier.

Probe cores: little less common most mod wise people take to just clipping the stock ones into stuff to hide them so there isn't that big of a demand practicality wise so most mods are replicas instead. still you can try for making more ram efficient versions or more shapes and sizes across the various tech levels and see what sticks there should at least be demand for more 3.75m cores

Simple Science Parts: no experiment really needs an animation to show its done so you can get by with just a mesh and a config file. Also the same niche of ram efficient replacements still applies here as does different sizes (heat resistant nose cone materials bay anyone?) or you could come up with your own they could even be silly like testing ping pong paddles in microgravity.

Structural parts: stick parts together the way you want them to be, and distribute them in the tech tree the way you want. Anything is better than what squad's done with the structural parts tree branch. Also landing skids are a popular demand the stock girders are sometimes used as makeshift skids thanks to their high crash tolerance what you could do is make a statistically similar part just in a more aerodynamic skid like shape

Things that I have not yet found in mods that I would like to see:

-High Powered, 5 way RCS thrusters for large craft to save on part count.

-A new greenhouse (an inflatable/deployable one would be nice. I'm not a big fan of the look of the greenhouses that come with USI life support.)

-Circular/Hexagonal solar panels. (I found one circular panel in Near Future Tech, and I know I already told another mod maker about my hex panels idea, who apparently got started working on it, though they are busy with other projects ATM, not sure when they will be back.)

-A large science experiment (large microwave telescope).

-2.5M radial attach point.

-Very long (5m+) beam/structural element.

-3.75M flat ISRU

-Caterpillar Tracks

I love Stockalike mods, in the style of Tundra Exploration and Tantares, and I was wondering what is not in that sort of mod that people would want.

I really like the idea behind these adapter parts and would welcome some more types. They are simple but sweet and I use them all the time for aesthetics and practical reasons. I don't see anything for the 2.5 to 3.75 m sizes. Also, there are fuel and RCS adapter parts, but as yet no battery or life support adapter parts.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69539-0-23-Stockalike-parts-for-useful-esthetics

kspmodpartspreview_by_turbopastry-d76are4.jpg

Edited by Godit

I think there is a lack of toroidal tanks. Sure there is that mod that adds a set of spherical and toroidal tanks, but it only includes a few sizes, and there is tons of space in between.

You know that little orange stock toroidal tank? Maybe one or two that are slightly larger, or maybe a half size one as well?

Basically I want them so that I can design small/very small probe landers without hem having to be tall columns of tanks, or to add a departure stage to smaller manned landers, again without having to add loads of height.

They also look real cool :)

**edit**

Better idea actually, if you can make some more heatshields that would be super useful. THe ones that we get are fine, but restrict you to vehicles of a certain size/shape or you have to cobble together a larger shield from the smaller ones.

Off the top of my head, how about some square or rectangular ones, hexagonal or octagonal, mid-sizes (in-between the 1.25, 2.5, 3.75 or 5m set-points).

Maybe conical heatshields? I remember a mod that had one - they are actually useful because you can utilise the "hollow" space which brings your CoM closer to the shield, and the conical shape itself gives some stability.

Hemispherical shields? Not sure if they would have any great advantage, except maybe protecting the sides a bit more, or they might just look nice.

Super-resilient heatshields for aerobraking and such?

Edited by p1t1o

Thinking of trying my hand at a Science part mod, any small/medium sized experiments you would like to see?

Photonometer - how much light you're getting (easy)

Doplerometer - how fast the universe is moving towards or away from you at the location. (Harder)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.