[WIP][1.3] PersistentThrust v1.0.9

mrsolarsail

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read some threads about having ION powered probes being thrusted when on rails, but all replies are talking about physics warp vs. time warp...

I guess that I understood the fact that KSP itself doesn't allow thrust being enabled when the vessel is not focused.

Unfortunately.

Either we all have to wait until KSP gets a patch that allows this for ION engines only or it can be modded somehow. (after patching GC issues of course).

Actually also with this mod it's only good if you don't have another missions running, neither in career nor in sandbox, because time warping kills all your kerbals in hunger and lack of oxygen ...

The last wish is and will be that switching back to space center and continuing with another mission while the ION powered probe still burns as the maneuver is set up will be allowed some day...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble getting this to work. I'm using Near Future's AFTER ion engines, and despite trying to configure the MM config myself, or using the one provided in page 2, my time warp keeps breaking as soon as I engage. It only happens when I have ModuleFX configured for the engines, if I just have PersistentEngine it works without any thrust.

On 6/5/2016 at 2:57 PM, jordanjay29 said:

I'm having trouble getting this to work. I'm using Near Future's AFTER ion engines, and despite trying to configure the MM config myself, or using the one provided in page 2, my time warp keeps breaking as soon as I engage. It only happens when I have ModuleFX configured for the engines, if I just have PersistentEngine it works without any thrust.

Thanks. I'm looking into it. I discovered some conflicts between NFP and the PersistentThrust patches that I'm trying to resolve. The patch described previously doesn't seem to be working anymore. The "GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache" file should indicate the new patched configuration of parts, and nothing except the stock ionEngine is getting PersistentEngine (the engine-specific module within PersistentThrust) added. I had to disable the NFP stock ion engine patch to take my modifications to the thrust and xenon/electriccharge ratio. The "BEFORE" and "AFTER" ModuleManager settings aren't working to apply the PersistentThrust patches after NFP.

Edit: My mistake on the ModuleManager configuration. I'm successfully patching the NFP modules now, and the stock ion engine. I'll test if they work with PersistentEngine this evening.

Edited by mrsolarsail

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the latest version of Persistent Thrust and a MM patch to add the PersistentEngine module to all Near Future Propulsion engines.  It appears to work if your using significantly less than max throttle.  I was able to use the mod with the NFP Hall thruster and it works at less than 50% thrust.  Anything higher and it cancels out of timewarp.

On 6/20/2016 at 11:01 AM, Trolllception said:

I am using the latest version of Persistent Thrust and a MM patch to add the PersistentEngine module to all Near Future Propulsion engines.  It appears to work if your using significantly less than max throttle.  I was able to use the mod with the NFP Hall thruster and it works at less than 50% thrust.  Anything higher and it cancels out of timewarp.

I noticed that problem too, with the AFTER engine and even the stock ion engine. It looks like new behavior with KSP 1.1. The trouble with the ion engine appeared when my power available to it dropped too far, like when the solar arrays were edge on to the sun and couldn't rotate to get enough sunlight. In the past, I have seen problems before where the power consumption works fine at one time warp level, but doesn't at another. I need to look into it a bit further.

Edit: This error only seems to show up if the power is depleted while the throttle is on. It's intentional behavior of the game from what I've read. I disabled ElectricCharge usage during timewarp because of another bug I mentioned (inconsistent ElectricCharge usage between some timewarp levels). I'm not sure if NFP is doing more with ElectricCharge that may cause the problem during timewarp with PersistentThrust. But, the stock ion engine with the mods seems to be working as intended. I will look at the NFP behavior more to see what it's doing with electricity.

Edited by mrsolarsail

I was having a lot of problems with NRE's with Ion engines that I added this to in 1.1.3, even when the throttle was off and at full power and not at warp. They were largely NFP engines, but I can't see that it's any different than stock (this weren't PIT engines). But I also had the issue with a stock Ion engine.

I don't have the log anymore, so I realize this report doesn't mean a whole lot. I know most mods that have anything to do with Time Warp seem to require at the very least a recompile.

On 6/25/2016 at 2:04 AM, Deimos Rast said:

I was having a lot of problems with NRE's with Ion engines that I added this to in 1.1.3, even when the throttle was off and at full power and not at warp. They were largely NFP engines, but I can't see that it's any different than stock (this weren't PIT engines). But I also had the issue with a stock Ion engine.

I don't have the log anymore, so I realize this report doesn't mean a whole lot. I know most mods that have anything to do with Time Warp seem to require at the very least a recompile.

I'm struggling with a very strange bug. With an NFP engine (AFTER ion engine), the power consumption is 2X with PersistentEngine applied to it than without during realtime mode. Strange, because PersistentEngine doesn't currently consume ElectricCharge. It almost looks like the engine's resource consumption is being run twice, but I haven't found where in my code in might be doing that. I haven't checked if this applied to the ion engine as well.

> Patch to the stock ion engine using ModuleManager with realistic thrust (0.25 N) at the same power level. Use as an example to patch your own engines.

Here is the relevant part of the example: (full: https://github.com/bld/PersistentThrust/blob/master/Patches/ionEngine.cfg)

@PART[ionEngine]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = PersistentEngine
    }
}

2 hours ago, CreepieGreen said:

Is it possible to thrust while the vessel is inactive?

2 hours ago, CreepieGreen said:

> Patch to the stock ion engine using ModuleManager with realistic thrust (0.25 N) at the same power level. Use as an example to patch your own engines.

Here is the relevant part of the example: (full: https://github.com/bld/PersistentThrust/blob/master/Patches/ionEngine.cfg)

@PART[ionEngine]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = PersistentEngine
    }
}

Not with this plugin. I plan on making that work in SolarSailNavigator (which isn't working with KSP 1.1 yet). It predicts where the spacecraft is going, so I should be able to update the orbit if you go away from a vessel and come back.

20 hours ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Does this work with NFP?

This does work with NFP.  You will need to create a module manager patch to add the module to all the engines.  You can use my patch linked below that I created.  I am not modifying the thrust values as I have seen many others do on this thread.  My goal is not 100% realism but to allow me to use electric engines and not leaving my PC in physical time warp for 20 minutes to complete a burn.  Just delete the ION engine config file from GameData\PersistentThrust\Patches and copy the file below into your gamedata directory.

LV-N, Ion Engine, NFP Electric Engines, and Kerbal atomics engines with Persistent Thrust patch

Also FYI version 106 seems to work better than 105 but there are still some minor issues.  Time warp is finnicky to get started and often times I spend up to 60 seconds before I can actually get the time warp to start while the engines are running.  Often times I will hit the time warp button only to have the warp go back to 1x immediately but after numerous attempts it usually will kick in eventually allowing me to speed up my 20-30 minute burn into a minute or so.

4 hours ago, Trolllception said:

This does work with NFP.  You will need to create a module manager patch to add the module to all the engines.  You can use my patch linked below that I created.  I am not modifying the thrust values as I have seen many others do on this thread.  My goal is not 100% realism but to allow me to use electric engines and not leaving my PC in physical time warp for 20 minutes to complete a burn.  Just delete the ION engine config file from GameData\PersistentThrust\Patches and copy the file below into your gamedata directory.

LV-N, Ion Engine, NFP Electric Engines, and Kerbal atomics engines with Persistent Thrust patch

Also FYI version 106 seems to work better than 105 but there are still some minor issues.  Time warp is finnicky to get started and often times I spend up to 60 seconds before I can actually get the time warp to start while the engines are running.  Often times I will hit the time warp button only to have the warp go back to 1x immediately but after numerous attempts it usually will kick in eventually allowing me to speed up my 20-30 minute burn into a 

Thanks for making the config file. Once I get the navigator working again, I would like to set engine performance to realistic levels, because then you can apply the thrust over long periods.

I am also getting the drop out of timewarp under a specific condition: when the ElectricCharge of the spacecraft control module is depleted. I'm testing this out with a solar powered vessel that has an extra battery and two AFTER engines. If I turn the throttle up too far the power generation of the solar panels can't keep up with the consumption, the control module ElectricCharge depletes (before the extra batteries do), and I can't engage timewarp. If I turn the throttle down enough that the generation keeps up with consumption, and the control module has charge, then timewarp engages. Can you verify?