[WIP][1.3] PersistentThrust v1.0.9

mrsolarsail

I've been using this with RO/RSS/RP-0 on some ion tugs, but It doesn't seem to be working. The engine stops thrusting in time warp, but the alternator still says that it is producing electricity (in this case it is draining electricity, thats how RO makes ion engines deplete electricity). It gives me this null ref:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PersistentThrust.PersistentEngine.CalculateDemands (Double demandMass)
    PersistentThrust.PersistentEngine.OnFixedUpdate ()
    Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate ()
    Part.FixedUpdate ()

I'm using the 1.1.3 version of the mod, I apologize if this has been fixed in the 1.2 version.

On 10/24/2016 at 4:05 AM, Mace from Space said:

Could you please be so kind and update your toolbar intergration. For now your mod is not usable cause there is no way to open it in game.

I'm not actually using Toolbar in this mod. You should be able to see a "Show Navigator Controls" toggle button when you right click on a control module that's attached to your spacecraft.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2016 at 2:59 PM, mrsolarsail said:

I'm not actually using Toolbar in this mod. You should be able to see a "Show Navigator Controls" toggle button when you right click on a control module that's attached to your spacecraft.

Help!!!, I've got that far with this, do you know why it would not allow me to warp when usin ion engines with this?

On 8-9-2015 at 4:39 AM, mrsolarsail said:

Known issues:

• Disabled during timewarp on a suborbital trajectory due to a bug in perturbing the suborbital orbit
  • Consumption of massless resources during timewarp disabled (e.g. ElectricCharge) due to a bug in how KSP requests resources at high timewarp
  • When the thrust of a persistent engine is too high (above ~5 kN), KSP won't allow switching to timewarp

Issue one is no longer valid, constraint can be removed

Issue two can simple be compensated by created a dynamic buffer on the engine that increases, decreases depending on time warp (see FNSolarPanelWasteHeatModule in KSPI-E on how to implement)

Issue tree can be compensated by allowing the player lower thrust and use maximum thrust when switching to warp (see KSPI-E Deadalus controller for example)

Edited by FreeThinker

On 24-8-2016 at 3:25 PM, mrsolarsail said:

Glad to hear it! I do plan on adding that functionality, using the orbit states from the preview trajectory. It's one of the most requested features.

Interesting if can make it work, but have you yet tried manipulating the orbit of the vessel direct when not loaded?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've found that the mod is working fine in theory, however it is very sensitive to physics lag. On tiny probes (and a fast computer), I could usually enter thrust warp about 3 out of 4 tries. However, on a large 200+ part ship, it would not work at all, however many times I tried.

I've made a workaround for the problem (I wouldn't call it a proper fix though), and now my large ship works too almost every time. I've submitted a pull request to mrsolarsail, and hopefully he'll include it in the next release.

If he appears to be AFK, I could probably release the modified plugin if there is interest in it. I think the license allows it.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:25 PM, OctarineNoise said:

I've found that the mod is working fine in theory, however it is very sensitive to physics lag. On tiny probes (and a fast computer), I could usually enter thrust warp about 3 out of 4 tries. However, on a large 200+ part ship, it would not work at all, however many times I tried.

I've made a workaround for the problem (I wouldn't call it a proper fix though), and now my large ship works too almost every time. I've submitted a pull request to mrsolarsail, and hopefully he'll include it in the next release.

If he appears to be AFK, I could probably release the modified plugin if there is interest in it. I think the license allows it.

Thanks for the fix. I merged it and put out a new v1.0.8 release that includes it. I tested that this works correctly with SolarSailNavigator as well. Does this address the issues we've seen with high acceleration vehicles dropping out of timewarp?

Edited by mrsolarsail

• 1 month later...

After some scene changes to switch from probe to probe over the Tracking Station the mod suddenly stopped working and I get a lot of these:

Module PersistentEngine threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PersistentThrust.PersistentEngine.CalculateDemands (Double demandMass) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PersistentThrust.PersistentEngine.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I used the FlightComputer / Kerbal AlarmClock pair for doing the burns.

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/myspgr8ons7h9v6/2017-05-13-1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

This bug report may or may not be out of date, (or possibly KSPi) but when crossing into the effect area of a planet/moon there appears to be a glitch That accelerates you to a significant portion of lightspeed. Thought it was worth mentioning while lurking the thread. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @mrsolarsail I know the comment is one year old, but do you think @FreeThinker suggestion would be doable?

On 7/14/2016 at 9:48 AM, FreeThinker said:

In KSPI-E for the Daedalus Engine, I get arround this limitation by allowing the engine to generate durring timewarp even without throtle set. As long as the engine is enable, it will accelerate.This will technically allow any engine  with any thrust to speed durring tome warp. Of cource at low Isp it will mean you will lose all your fuel in a matter of seconds. I suggest you simply add a switch which allows you to do the same for the PersistantEngineFX.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, Roostergod said:

is there  a way give all engines persistent thrust instead of just ion and NFP engines?

6 hours ago, Hajii said:

I had the same question. Not sure if possible but this would be great. 

Just by looking at the patch yes you would need to wildcard it or make a patch with all the engines names and add 

MODULE
 {
  name = PersistentEngine
 }

Edit- Here try this 

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*],!MODULE[PersistentEngine]]:Final
{    
	MODULE
	{
		name = PersistentEngine
	}
}

Edited by Mecripp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I'm trying to use this in KSP 1.3 with NFP and when I timewarp the throttle stays at 100% as desired, but my ship stops consuming argon gas and outputs zero thrust. The only requirement it lists is module manager 1.5.6 but I am running 3.0.1, I dont suppose that would be an issue though.

• 3 months later...