Devnote Tuesday: Turning Up The Heat!

SQUAD

the cabling that was installed turned out to not meet the contracted specifications and so the renovation crew came back in to tear down previously completed work

This reminds me of most public construction works in my country. LOL

and the upper atmospheres of the atmospheric planets have been revised to have a more exponential falloff

This is very good news. :)

Finally, the analytic thermodynamic code has been improved to give it a more gradual transition between temperatures, which can be configured globally and on a per-part basis. All this is a fancy way of saying that the game will support (for example) refrigerated interiors.

Very, very good. :)

How long are you going to be testing this new format as I really DONT LIKE IT, please go back to the old format it was easier to skim read the bits I was interested in

As far as I can tell, this is not a test, this is the new format.

It is only to be expected that when changes are made to any product with a passionate fan-base that some will love it and some will hate it, I am sorry that you happened to fall into the second category with this particular change. Better luck next time.

(and if you have a popular product and manage to make changes that no one likes, it will not stay popular for long... unless you have vendor lock-in like Microsoft)

Kasper, maybe I could make a few videos on my channel? I have 14 subs and my best video has a whopping 200 views . I can easily make a couple planes to showcase about a week/month before release, but I might only upload one or two, but if I do expect me to make some threads on them.

EDIT: Also the new heating sounds great! And new atmos, Eve shredded my probe lander there. At least the chute/core survived!

There is a lot in this update that I am excited about.

Not the least of which is the detail of the update.

I don't know about everybody, but I really like hearing about the inner workings of the game. Writing out what was an issue with and what the fix was for the thermal code may have taken some valuable dev time, but it made me very happy.

Thank you!

Is this a good time to say Unity 5.2 just came out with significant performance (rect mask for UI + render sorting) optimisations?

Probably too late for KSP 1.1 (or would cause delays) since that's just about into QA, but still sounds like good news (for the future).

We're in the process of updating to it and evaluating how well 1.1 works on it.

Finally, the analytic thermodynamic code has been improved to give it a more gradual transition between temperatures, which can be configured globally and on a per-part basis. All this is a fancy way of saying that the game will support (for example) refrigerated interiors.

Does this mean the air conditioning units on top of all the space center buildings will finally be functional? ;)

Couple of questions:

-Will the modifications to the pinning system make it persistent when toggling back and forth between map and in-game views? IMO, one of the most tiresome things about the previous system was the need to reclick on the individual markers to get your numbers back after say switching to in-game view to stage or trigger an experiment, and then back to map.

-Will the changes to the thermal system make it behave consistently during time accel? Right now, temperatures can easily vary by a couple of hundred degrees during reentry depending on whether you're at 1x or 4x, meaning the player is stuck at 1X during an entire reentry (which can take several minutes) if they want maximum survivability.

Edited by FlowerChild

How long are you going to be testing this new format as I really DONT LIKE IT, please go back to the old format it was easier to skim read the bits I was interested in

Hopefully forever because i REALLY REALLY like it. Much more comprehensive not as jarring as previous format. thumbs up here.

Whilst the interface is being looked at can we PLEASE finally have some way of selecting a particular craft when multiple craft are more than 2.5km apart but less than the distance to show two separately clickable icons.

My choice would be when a click could have more than one option, display all the options in a drop down menu. Would work for pe/ap, maneuver nodes, and craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.