What are you doing until 1.1?

Kyrt Malthorn

Building a working Spaceplane, putting small space stations in orbit around various planets as refueling outposts, building a lunar mining colony, doing a landing on Duna.

Playing Final Fantasy X for the first time.

Also trying to learn German and the Piano.

So plenty to keep me busy.

Well, I just recently installed BDArmory for the first time so I'll be toying around with that. I also happen to be waiting on space engineers as well. They're planing a major update as well that will add planets, so if that comes when I think it does (Soontm) I'll be checking that out before 1.1.

Playing 7 Days to Die, trying to finish the sci-fi novel I'm working on, and doing scads of homework from my Calc 3 class?

Why? Frustration-induced burnout. I had started to set up my minmus orbital station... First time for this big a project.

Science lab module was first. Bit too big for my launch system, but I got it up there anyway. Barely.

Next was my orbital tug... Far less of a problem until I went to rendevous the two. Science lab was unmanned at that point, and even if it was, I forgot SAS. Oh, yeah, forgot RCS on the tug. Docking those two was... Fun. Figured I wouldn't waste the fuel spent putting the tug up there, so I used one of my small passenger rockets and got Bob up there... Only to run into difficulties from having only 1 Kerbal and no probe core...

Next was the refit mission. Sent up a rocket with Bill and Jeb so I could use KAS/KIS to lop off the appropriate bits and tack on the other things that came to mind once it was up there: SAS, a service module, three new batteries, and a probe core. 30 nail-biting, frustrating minutes later, task complete.

Send up v2 of the orbital tug while v1 shifts science module to minmus so I can work up the tech tree. Design the utility module, loads of battery, 2 6-way bits with scads of docking ports, and a bottom base prepped for what's in the big KIS storage module: a bunch of I-beams, nodes, and Gigantors.

Send up the utility module, dock it with the v2 tug. Design the two fuel tank assemblies for the fuel depot module while utility module is shifting up. Design the refinery modules... Prep for docking the science and utility modules...

Perfect on the docking. Overall assembly handles odd, but... It's a station, it's not going anywhere. Now I have this crappy v1 tug floating 500m away. Ditch it into Minmus? Nah, keep it! I can refuel it and bring it back to Kerbin to get my $30k back. Go to dock sans RCS. Frustration... Frustration... Really missing RCS for these non-centerline docking maneuvers... And... And... Woot! Docked! Yay! *BOOOOOM* Wait, what the?! Noooooo! *RAGE*! The whole station comes apart spectacularly. $500,000+ down the hole, Bob's dead, oh and because I was vehicle swapping, no revert... And last quicksave was two hours realtime earlier... Never did figure out what caused it to all pop.

keeping myself occupied outside of the game. I've been on an extended break from KSP, only going into the game once every few weeks, and I've told myself I'd get back into it once 1.1 hits. That should solve the aerobreaking issue around Jool, and it will herald my first attempt to get a manned mission to the Jool system.

So in the meantime, I'm basically browsing the forums, looking for inspiration for future projects and making a list of the mods I'll install (I plan to do a complete clean re-install after 1.1). In the past I always kept away from parts mods, but I think I finally caved. Here's the list so far:

EVE (Environment Visual Enhancements)

KER (Kerbal Engineer)

HyperEdit (I'm a quality and validation engineer in real life. I don't launch unless I've tested my craft about 10 times under target conditions)

KAS (Kerbal Attachment Systems: external fuel lines are kinda required for planet-side refueling unless you want to risk a claw-rover)

USI Life Support (I really want life support-like stuff, but I fear I'd kill too many kerbals by sheer forgetfulness if I use TAC life support)

USI Kolonization systems (I got the Life Support, so why the heck not?!)

USI exploration pack (all the USI mods are made by Roverdude, and he's part of the SQUAD team now. So that means these aren't really mods, right? They're practically official! right? I fear I'm on a slippery slope here... )

okay maybe also the Karibou expedition rover. But that's the last one! I swear! Honestly! I can quit mods anytime I want!

Edited by Cirocco
forgot KAS...

HyperEdit (I'm a quality and validation engineer in real life. I don't launch unless I've tested my craft about 10 times under target conditions)

I avoided this by having Kerbal Construction Time which has simulations built in. It's pretty expensive to run those simulations tho. Simple launch and 15 mins of simulation is nothing but multiple simulations in orbit of Duna would bankrupt my space program...

Oh, and it's not like I'd stop playing KSP just because there's new version coming soon.

Staying away from computer games. I have a quite large real time real money computer game to work on for my business, I have the end of the warm days to enjoy for golfing if they take long enough I have a new camera to enjoy.

Until, with 1.1 or 1.1.1 I will return to KSP (once all the mods I rely on are upgraded) and enjoy at least a much more stable game (as I really hit the memory barrier too often).

Still have plenty to do with my career before 1.1. But looks like it will bring massive heat mechanics changes again (system rewritten again) - hopefully for the best, but this mean yet another craft re-design. So for now I am putting my playthrough on hold until 1.1 (and maybe 1.1.x) comes out. Nothing more frustrating than blowing massive amount of time & money on flagship design&launch then finding it overheats in new version.

Also I am not holding my breath too much on suddenly being able to build 5x times more complex ships with 1.1 - AFAIK major CPU hog is not only just Unity physics, but Squad-made systems like fuel flow, thermals, etc. But if we get at least 2x speedup, I will be happy. But still until 1.1 actually comes out no sense in spending time on building complex ships since its unknown how much better it will be.

Edited by RidingTheFlow

I was currently cleaning up my mess on minmus, piece by piece. Trying to scrape every part & .fps together. Slowly sending stuff up into orbit to send to DUNA in 6 -10 kerbin days time. (not literally launching slowly, just a launch every 2-3 kerbin hours)

Some talk of increased performance in future version(s) means I can forget everything what i've done so far this career and all the old ones (lowest settings 7 - 12fps), gladly. And enjoy team fortress 2(max settings 150fps), and battlefield 4. (selective max settings 50 fps).

TBH for me this game will end up like minecraft gathering dust untill that legendary "final version" comes around (maybe in about 10 years by the way its gone so far).

So much faffing around when the game updates. I get a handful of mods, because i go crazy if i cant build something in a certain way. And i suppose the mods would just ruin whatever performance gain we get.

Infact, mods wont work with this update arn't they on about some unity bull bla bla i dont know, but some other game engine? So all mod makers been nice enough to waste their time can do it again! I require mods for this kind of game :D I always want moar, there's never that one part i need.

Ohh grouchy I am today, suppose i just hope to get to Duna before le update.

Trying to find a way to stop steam auto updating. I might just copy 1.0.4 to another drive and uninstall the steam version.

All you need to do is copy the directory that KSP is in. Put it anywhere you like (another drive is not necessary). You don't have to uninstall the one in the Steam directory. You can have as many copies of KSP on your computer as you have disk space for. Steam won't touch any of them except for the one in the Steam folder.

(Besides, I'm pretty sure you could just turn off auto-update in Steam.)

Trying to find a way to stop steam auto updating. I might just copy 1.0.4 to another drive and uninstall the steam version.
All you need to do is copy the directory that KSP is in. Put it anywhere you like (another drive is not necessary). You don't have to uninstall the one in the Steam directory. You can have as many copies of KSP on your computer as you have disk space for. Steam won't touch any of them except for the one in the Steam folder.

(Besides, I'm pretty sure you could just turn off auto-update in Steam.)

You can turn off auto-update, but that just means "Don't update until I tell you to or try to launch the game" which - for genericeventhandler - is likely not ideal.

Like mikegarrison said, though, just copy the game somewhere. I have 5 copies, 3 of them active, all on the same computer, and I don't even use Steam. I just like options and archives :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.