What makes you feel BadS?

peachoftree

Masterfully executed encounter maneuvers. Launch the fuel truck from Minmus surface *roughly* in the right direction (some 45 degrees inclination, somewhere halfway between prograde and equatorial, gain enough speed to have a minute until apoapsis, then prepare the node to encounter the tanker; no matching inclinations, not reaching orbit, just crossing its path at a nearby point. Execute the maneuver. Plan orbit matching maneuver. Warp to it. Perform it and end up 100 meters from the tanker, with less than 3m/s of relative speed, and directed towards it, for docking. Less than five minutes between launch from the surface and transferring fuel into the tanker, maybe 300km from the launch site.

Edited by Sharpy

Regex, what sunflare do you have? It looks amazing!
Can't remember, that was from 0.90, I think. Might have been an earlier RVE sunflare, pretty sure it's changed (the new one is really nice, though).

I landed on Vall yesterday with 0.1 units of fuel remaining. It was a bumpy, skidding kind of landing but nothing broke. Career mode, Hard difficulty settings. While still in orbit debating whether to go for it, Kerbal Engineer had told me I had 43 seconds of fuel remaining vs. 39 needed for a pure suicide burn. And the thrust-to-weight ratio for the lander wasn't all that great. That's the most BadS thing I've attempted in a while.

Edited by Yakky

Roving up, over, and into the Mun canyon with a rover that does not have any RCS/thrusters.

EVA RCSing out of the canyon and back to the lander, some 13km away and touching down with 0.05 units of mono left.

Landing a very unwieldy base module in the Mun canyon less than 100m away from the marker flag.

- Getting close enough with my Mun landings that I almost knocked over the drilling/ISRU tower with the giant fuel tank. (Nearly happened this morning)

- Docking two stations together, while neither has RCS or monoprop. (Lots of turning, quick burst of momentum, turn again very quickly, quick burst another direction, quick turn, etc. etc. etc. all while trying not to break any solar panels...)

- Also, landing safely at KSC in 90% of atmo re-entries.

And yes, sans MechJeb.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Be it from launch or coming back in from space, meeting up with that other ship/station, that last burn for docking - putting me within 1km of the target. Mind you, no MechJeb here.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, I love landing on other planets and moons!

Yea, this too ^

It pales somewhat in comparison to some of the feats described here, but I love the feeling of bringing a spaceplane in for a landing. Bringing it down into the atmosphere, a keeping the nose up to lose speed, watching the continents and oceans racing by below.... then.... as the mountain range west of the KSC appears in the distance, I pull the plane gently over into into a very wide, fiery bank ... I see the KSC below and... just in time, the fire subsides, I have control again. I line it up with the runway, moments later the wheels touch down for a safe landing.

It may not be a single stage to Laythe, or whatnot, but it still makes me feel like Chuck Yeager.

Edited by Tourist

What is this? a Kraken invoking device?

Hah, not intentionally, but it pretty much turned into one. I was trying to capture a giant asteroid for the first time, and assumed the best way to do that would be to attach a bunch of little nodes, each consisting of a klaw and either an engine or a stabilizer wheel or whatever… and I figured that obviously if I had to send up a bunch of little nodes I may as well send them all bundled into one rocket.

I got the bundle to the asteroid, split up the scatterpack, attached one node, tried to attach the next… and it wouldn't attach. I tried a few more times and then the whole thing exploded. Since then I haven't done much with asteroids.

I got the bundle to the asteroid, split up the scatterpack, attached one node, tried to attach the next… and it wouldn't attach. I tried a few more times and then the whole thing exploded. Since then I haven't done much with asteroids.

I tried the Klaw when it was released. Captured a couple asteroids, landed them at KSC rolled them around and stuff. And then I tried to use this thingie to assemble an LKO station. Well, after grabbing a solar panel array and trying to dock it to the station all my vessels in the scene started to fall from orbit - some into Kerbin and others into Sun. Somehow I managed to keep my save safe (he-he) and lithobroke the Kraken spawn hard. This episode left me traumatized and I never touched the Klaw ever since. :D

Anyway, to not derail the thread any further:

My latest attempt to get to the Mun in a 30-part vessel left me in a collision course at 1k altitude with no fuel going ~150m/s. So I bailed out Jeb, grabbed science and jetpack-braked. Came to the impact at around 50m/s head first and Jeb bounced. Yeah, I felt kinda BadS.

Edited by Bloody_looser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.