CKAN in 1.2

Xyphos

CKAN is nice, but IMHO, it would be a great feature to have built-in to version 1.2 (since 1.1 is just around the corner.)

people would then be able to upload their mods to KSP Greenlight (simular to steam's Greenlight)

I'm glad they don't use steam workshop, as it is not a steam exclusive game, leaving out a significant number of users.

That's not to say I like curse either though

Oh I understand that some people don't want to use Steam.

However, the workshop is not too much work to integrate and would cover at least a (big?) part of the community instead of curse helping nobody to automate mod installations. So I considered it a logical step. As usual I was surprised :wink:

Anyway, we've got CKAN and when KSP is RTM ready it will be as well :D

I'm glad they don't use steam workshop, as it is not a steam exclusive game, leaving out a significant number of users.

That's not to say I like curse either though

While I understand SQUAD doesn't want to give Steam users an overwhelming benefit, it also harms the game for Steam users (like seriously, no steam community? They even have trading cards). On second thought, some of the stuff in the Steam forums is a little funky and I like the KSP community here and on Curse a lot better.

Personally, I don't understand the Steam-hate thing, it's a well-designed content distribution network and go-to application that every gamer is familiar with.

NOT releasing something on Steam is the old dinosaur marketing method, and it doesn't sell well, without paying for advertising and reviews.

honestly, I never knew Curse existed until AFTER I bought the steam version of KSP and clicked the MODs link, and I probably won't ever use Curse for anything else, either.

as far as I'm concerned, if it isn't on Steam, it doesn't exist at all, including Minecraft.

Edited by Xyphos

Personally, I don't see why people love Steam so much. To me it is a middleman, a program on my computer that, at best, does nothing I can't do myself (does it do anything important besides installing games/mods?), and in some cases would prevent me from doing things I otherwise could do due to DRM. I prefer to cut out middlemen.

I think two of the big reasons are A. Kinda hard to do quality control to keep people from just upvoting random things B. Making sure that it's impossible for a mod to be exclusive to a community like steam and C. The fact that last I checked .dll files were not supported by workshop, and most plugin mods use them.

Personally, I don't see why people love Steam so much. To me it is a middleman, a program on my computer that, at best, does nothing I can't do myself (does it do anything important besides installing games/mods?), and in some cases would prevent me from doing things I otherwise could do due to DRM. I prefer to cut out middlemen.

For me it is convenience. It has all my games in one place and I can install/uninstall them all with two clicks. They will always work out of the box (at least in my experience so far) and it will keep them updated. In addition, sales. Only negative point are also the sales :P

It does nothing you can't do, but it is not something you want to do anyway (manual download and patching). And it never chokes on a patch day.

Edited by Corw

For me it is convenience.

Yepp. That is exactly why people have gotten used to providers like Steam, Origin, ect. It sucks hard. It brings all the advertisement and the marketing sharades of an software/electronics store right ont your machine. It takes away your own liberties of personally managing your computer. It really sucks hard and it represents the typical way how consumers or citizens in general happily deprive themselves of their maturity ... just for 'convenience'.

Just imagine someone would make something that is convenient AND leaves the decisions to you. It's not like it's impossible.

I still remember when Steam was first introduced. Oh, the hate ... Now, a completely new generation of gamers is completely used to this kind of software delivery and the way it is implemented. They can't even imagine that it could have been done differently. I'm all for distributing games and patches via downloads and automatic updates. But everytime I open Steam it tries to sell something to me. It's like talking to a ....ing unilever salesman everytime I make coffee in the morning ...

I still remember when Steam was first introduced. Oh, the hate ... Now, a completely new generation of gamers is completely used to this kind of software delivery and the way it is implemented. They can't even imagine that it could have been done differently. I'm all for distributing games and patches via downloads and automatic updates. But everytime I open Steam it tries to sell something to me. It's like talking to a ....ing unilever salesman everytime I make coffee in the morning ...

The hate is alive and well over here, for all those reasons.

I will absolutely not trade my right not to be harassed by my own equipment for the sake of "convenience", and I faintly resent the insinuation that I am somehow incapable of managing software updates myself.

The moment a physical store sends me unsolicited advertising or a sales rep badgers me is the moment I decide to take my business elsewhere.

My reaction to online "stores" is no different - distributing the software is fine, but harassing, tracking and advertising at me is not.

Yepp. That is exactly why people have gotten used to providers like Steam, Origin, ect. It sucks hard. It brings all the advertisement and the marketing sharades of an software/electronics store right ont your machine. It takes away your own liberties of personally managing your computer. It really sucks hard and it represents the typical way how consumers or citizens in general happily deprive themselves of their maturity ... just for 'convenience'.

Just imagine someone would make something that is convenient AND leaves the decisions to you. It's not like it's impossible.

Considering I'm 35 I don't think I fall into "completely new generation of gamers". And it is quite the other way around. I used to fiddle and tinker everything to get it just right I wanted, now I want it to be how I wanted right out of the box or I will not use it to start with. I don't have patience or time any-more as I used to. Job/wife/kids tend to cause that. Steam makes this work for me (or I wouldn't be using it :) )

Your perspective of it it is an aggressive marketing machine and I can appreciate that, but I look at it more as "apt-get" for games (or in KSP analogy, CKAN. Love you CKAN! <3). It can try to sell whatever it wants, but I consider myself to be a grown up man with free will so that I can decide to buy only what I want. And for those things that I did bought they are all here, in one place, always available and always updated. No, I don't care to be personally managing that part of working of my computer. If you have updates, bring those updates. And they do not download while you are playing something else so they can't mess with your bandwidth or such. But if you want to, you can turn them off completely. So the choice is still there.

One more thing that is important to me is that I'm waving my credit card only in one place at reliable and safe store. Or that is my experience with them so far. Funny enough, I avoid like plague any other software of same design (Like Origin, don't even get me started on that Uplay thing), except GOGs Galaxy.

Steam is fine in my opinion and I do look through the ads, I've gotten some nice deals. I mainly like it cause so many games are steam-exclusive, and also how would VAC work. Even though it doesnt work very well.

EDIT: This thread has been derailed, let's get it back on topic. I think CKAN should stay a mod, after all it is community managed and we know how well community-to-company works with other games.

Edited by legoclone09