[Old] Dark Days - Dying of the light. - Kopernicus mod. (Continuation in works)

daniel l.

DEVELOPMENT OF THIS MOD HAD ENDED, THE SOURCE CODE IS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD HERE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6s0fp2faqhdxiv/Dark Days.zip?dl=0

A continuation is in the works but the original project files have been abandoned for greener pastures.

cGBXtR3.jpg

"Beautiful but terrifying."

-Augustus

"This is gonna be epic"

-Elowiny

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Beautiful work done by ibuckshot5 :) :

Hi guys!

Ibuckshot5 and I am working on a kopernicus pack that transforms the sun into a disintegrating red giant and makes all the planets into scorched hulks, The KSC will remain on kerbin but you will find it to be pretty hot! But never fear! A passing star happens to have a suitable planet, That is your goal.

To get there you will have to use futuristic new parts (I will be replacing the stock parts :wink:)

New worlds added:

Perseus:

A beautiful orange dwarf, With a cozy warm glow.

Hades:

Binary twin to Perseus, Looks like a gas giant but glows very faintly. Has a ring. Hades also has two asteroid size satellites, the views are amazing.

Dolera:

First planet of Perseus. It is a barren desert.

Numifis:

Second planet of Perseus. Airless dwarf.

Wexkala:

Third planet of Perseus. Has very little atmosphere, Is icy.

Trithia:

Fourth planet of Perseus. A Gorgeous world with an oxygen atmosphere and a soft yellow sky with vast green plains and two large supercontinents seperated by a big river. The air on trithia is very cool and it has a calming effect on kerbals, Perhaps we should move here?

It also has 15 small asteroid moons to play around with. Oh and a very pretty ring system.

Domire:

A very purple gas giant, 3 moons all airless and icy.

Kronus:

A gas planet of EPIC proportions, It is 5x the size of jool, But it isnt very dense and has low gravity.

Carbope:

A very hostile Carbon planet with oceans of Tar and a foggy yellow sky, (Will have crystal ground scatter as soon as kopernicus allows.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storyline:

Bill, Jeb, Bob, and Valentina were driving along the road one day when they drove into a ditch, Since none of them remembered the phone number for the towing service they couldn't get help. And so they waited until they froze. Billions of years later, They are revived by future kerbals who are now blue skinned by some oddity. The solar system is also out of whack as the sun is dying and a recent orbital disaster has shifted and torched the entire system. Here is a list of those effected:

Moho:

Destroyed by tidal forces, Moho is now a massive debris ring.

Eve:

A passing rogue has shifted eve's orbit into a 45 degree inclination with a very heavy eccentricity. Also the oceans of lava don't seem to help its appearance.

Eve no longer has a atmosphere. though it does seem a little is left.

Gilly:

Has been dislocated from eve's orbit and is now independently orbiting the sun.

Kerbin:

Dead and dry, Kerbin is long undesirable in terms of habitability but kerbals having nowhere else to go have loyally stayed there for a long time.

Also most of kerbin's atmosphere has been lost with the exception of a trace amount.

Mun:

Not too significantly changed in terms of terrain, The mun is however in a binary orbit with dres.

Minmus:

The incident that put dres in kerbin SOI also flung minmus out of the kerbin system where it them turned a yellowish-red and started to evaporate into space.

Duna:

The only planet to have not been seriously changed: Duna has kept most of its properties with the exception that it has now moved out to jool's original orbit.

Ike:

Nothing changed.

Dres:

When the great chaos moved jool inward dres was displaced and flung into the kerbin system where it threw out minmus and settled into a binary companionship with the mun.

Jool:

The green that made jool favorable to kerbals is long gone, Now replaced by a watery blue. Also jool is now inhabited by aerial algae that glow in the dark, Which has the strange result of making jool's night side brighter than the day side.

Laythe:

When the unicellular life that made laythe's atmosphere breathable finally died out, Laythe was left with a trace nitrogen atmosphere that is invisible on sensors, But the oceans have stayed which is starting to make kerbal scientists reconsider that they were ever made of water.

Vall:

The ice on vall melted many years ago and evaporated into space, Revealing a mun-like surface of rock.

Tylo:

Unchanged.

Bop

Unchanged.

Pol:

Thrown out of jool's orbit by the Chaos. Also has a tiny little captured asteroid moonlet.

Eeloo:

Thrown out of the kerbol system entirely. Eeloo is now a cold dark sad rogue planet.

The Team:

Daniel L. (Lead Dev)

Ibuckshot5 (Co Dev)

RGBPeter (Texture artist)

Starwhip (3d Modeler)

Edited by daniel l.
Announcing Continuation

It would be especially interesting if you could create a custom space center styled after an underground launch silo, sheltered from the heat and radiation

I dont know about the space center but i am going to move the KSC to the dark side of kerbin (It will be tidally locked) so it wont get melted. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds really cool, if you can pull it off...

Me too :cool:

Hi this is a quick update,

Development kopernicus wise is going fine however i have found that i am terrible at 3d modeling and texturing for the parts, I would apprecitate the help of someone who can do modeling, texturing, engines, and iva's. i will make the config files but i need models, i could do them myself but i am terrible and i want you guys to have the best :)

Okay. That actually looks both awesome and terrifying.

But the sun could be made bigger, maybe stretching almost to Moho?

I tried but for some reason the sun Z-fights itself out of existence and while the sun flare is usually able to cover it, When the sun gets larger than the maximun size of the flare what you get is a popping in and out of existence effect.

Why not learn? You can download Blender and start messing around in that or look up tutorials on how to use it. You can also download GIMP for texturing your parts. If you need any help getting started you can ask anyone on the forum or send me a PM. :)

Thanks for your help, but i am not really able in this. Blender is too hard for me so i use unity which is kinda clunky, and my texturing skills are pretty bad, I could do it anyway but you would end up getting a mod with an absolutely gorgeous universe but cheesy parts with blurry textures. I want you guys to have the best so i really would prefer some help.

Thanks for your help, but i am not really able in this. Blender is too hard for me so i use unity which is kinda clunky, and my texturing skills are pretty bad, I could do it anyway but you would end up getting a mod with an absolutely gorgeous universe but cheesy parts with blurry textures. I want you guys to have the best so i really would prefer some help.

Well, practice makes perfect, everyone has to start somewhere. I started modding knowing absolutely nothing about Blender or even 3D programs in general. Once you get the hang of it, Blender is pretty easy to use IMO. If not, try Wings 3D, Beale has a fantastic tutorial on making parts in that. :)

Well, practice makes perfect, everyone has to start somewhere. I started modding knowing absolutely nothing about Blender or even 3D programs in general. Once you get the hang of it, Blender is pretty easy to use IMO. If not, try Wings 3D, Beale has a fantastic tutorial on making parts in that. :)

I might try :)... though i really think this mod needs to be a two-person job and while i will do it without help if i have to i would prefer to give you guys the best parts for the mod rather than my crappy work.

btw. How do i make planetary rings? what are transform values?

Body
{
Rings
{
Ring
{
innerRadius = 1500
outerRadius = 2200
angle = 0
texture = Path/To/Ring/Texture(.png)
color = 1,1,1,1
}
}
}

The innerRadius and outerRadius values are in kilometers, however they are by distance from the center of the planet, not distance from the surface of the planet, so the inner radius should always be bigger than the radius of the planet in km, unless you want the ring to be inside the planet.

Body
{
Rings
{
Ring
{
innerRadius = 1500
outerRadius = 2200
angle = 0
texture = Path/To/Ring/Texture(.png)
color = 1,1,1,1
}
}
}

The innerRadius and outerRadius values are in kilometers, however they are by distance from the center of the planet, not distance from the surface of the planet, so the inner radius should always be bigger than the radius of the planet in km, unless you want the ring to be inside the planet.

Thank you! :D you just solved a massive problem for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.