[1.2] Proton-M / Breeze-M

InsaneDruid

I noticed and fixed it already (its on the 0210 and 0212, too if they are used on the ground). Its already on github but not as an official release because i want to include some other (gfx) tweak I am currently preparing and I also wanted to see if there are other bugs arising.

For the record, the bug was that the entry "thrustTransformName= was changed to be the name of the transform (which isn't just thrustTransform but RD253_ThrustTransform. therefore your attempt also failed). Must have slipped in by a mass rename.

41 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Cool! Maybe your next move would be to create a Soyuz launcher/crewed craft and make a full on Russian part pack.

There's already the Raidernick soviet mod that adds the first versions of the Soyuz and I believe DECQ is working on the more recent Soyuz TMA.

On 3/14/2016 at 6:15 AM, InsaneDruid said:

I did a re-check with RO and they do work without a problem.

That is odd, I just rebuilt the stage and it works now. Must have been on the wrong node or something I guess, sorry for the false alarm.

• 2 weeks later...

@InsaneDruid, I've found some strange mass changes inside RO-configs.

Stock RO
Stage 1 8.741 24.180
Stage 2 3.210 8.736
Stage 3 1.491 3.410
Fairing Base 0.95 0.25
Fairings 0.2 & 0.25 2.0 & 2.5

So we have 3rd stage with quite real dry mass of 3.5 ton on one side and 4-5 tons of fairings on another. Shouldn't they be somewhere like 500-600 kg?

@KvaNTy It would surely be cool if a 15meter long structure with over 4 meters in diameter could be made with only 600kg added mass. Unfortunately (so to say ;) the numbers are realistic and based on various sources. Have a look at Spaceflight101.com: Proton-M/Briz-M – Launch Vehicle or Space Launch Vehicles by Norbert Brügge.

The fairing of a three-stage Proton can could weight up to over 4 metric tons (http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/proton.shtml)

PS: the masses of the stages are dry weight. When fueled up, s3 weights over 50 tons.

Edited by InsaneDruid

Thanks!

As for 1.1pre compatibility: most parts should (do) work fine. I'm updating the gimbals to the new stock system and fight with a problem with the launch clamp (crafts begin to wobble) and a potential problem on older craft files. An update will released soon.

TKS gets its IVAs modelled right now which is a completely new process for me, but my test parts do work fine, even in 1.1.

Update for 1.1 is online. It fixes the launchpad (that had an issue that would result in a slight wobble in 1.0.5 which would turn into a wild spinning motion of a craft sitting on the pad in 1.1), fixed some smoke FX on the RD-0210 and implements the new feature of defining independent gimbal axis limits in stock, rendering the need for Klockheed Martian Gimbal obsolete.

Normally, yes (actually, even the s3 had one during construction). The thing whith these flag things is: they procuce z-fighting. The bigger the flag, and the more non-transparent, the more it shows. Have a look at this post of mine, or one regarding the tantares hatch (that has much more distance to its underlying surface than a flag should).

So, hm, yeah, I am not a fan of it. Not at all. Im just allergic to zfighting. Maybe now, with x64 beeing running on 1.1 I will integrate something not using coplanar faces. Like it was on the sumdum station parts. But one way or the other, it would rather sit on one of the halfes, while in reality, mission stickers etc are applied over the fairing seam.

In the meantime, look at this mod that adds freely placable flag surfaces (still prone to zfighting though) that you can attach on the fairing.

http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/222813-flag-decals-v2-3

1 minute ago, InsaneDruid said:

Normally, yes (actually, even the s3 had one during construction). The thing whith these flag things is: they procuce z-fighting. The bigger the flag, and the more non-transparent, the more it shows. Have a look at this post of mine, or one regarding the tantares hatch (that has much more distance to its underlying surface than a flag should).

So, hm, yeah, I am not a fan of it. Not at all. Im just allergic to zfighting. Maybe now, with x64 beeing running on 1.1 I will integrate something not using coplanar faces. Like it was on the sumdum station parts. But one way or the other, it would rather sit on one of the halfes, while in reality, mission stickers etc are applied over the fairing seam.

In the meantime, look at this mod that adds freely placable flag surfaces (still prone to zfighting though) that you can attach on the fairing.

http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/222813-flag-decals-v2-3

thanks very much.. fyi i love your Model.. maybe you can make Angara?

Hi i started to test your mod in the pre-release and found a couple of issues so I though I would share my findings

I am a mechjeb user and loaded your craft file and just added the cube probe body 

First issue the tanks where all empty in the first 3 stages I checked in the VAB before flight 

Second issue I encountered at 1000m its starts to sway left to right then flips over at around 5000m

Third issue Upon separation of the first stage it immediately flips over   and nose dives and never recovers 

If someone else could confirm that this happening or its unique to me, I am using the out of the box ascent profile for mechjeb

I have also tried to fly manually with similar results 

x64 Version 1.1 pre-release build 1174 of KSP on windows 10 

Findings are always welcome.

The craft is intended to be empty, because the launchclamps have the ability to fuel and un-fuel the proton, just like real. Just click on the first entry "start generator" and the first stage will be fueled. Use the fuel transfer function of ksp to fuel the upper stages, too. Or just add fuel in the VAB to skip this role playing. So it's not a bug, it's a feature ;)

As for the instability, the "hard", non-procedural fairings need felbourns oldscoolfairings mod to really function properly.

Without them they probably don't really provide aerodynamic cover. So the craft tends to be more prone to flipping until this mod is in 1.1. This I can confirm. You can fly her (manually) without flipping if you are careful and never leave the prograde marker until at higher heights and throttle back during max Q. Or you can use the stock procedural fairing function that all the fairing bases also provide.

I never used mechjeb though. Which I should change for testing purposes.

Small maintenance update is online. For those following on spacedock, there where some problems with spacedock and the auto-update function to adjust the supported game version, so I had to re-upload, so there might be several mails sent. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hey there,

I get the following message in the VAB but cannot remedy it, I am hoping you might assist.

Craft size unknown!

No size information is available for Proton-M with Breeze-M. Please open it in the vehicle assembly building ot have it revised by the engineering staff.

I am on 1.1 (linux)

Hey @Kerbal007 this problem seems to be a rather specific problem with linux (64bit) and unity. According to this thread:

"There is a problem with the Unity game engine on Linux when the users language is set to anything other then English, the period and comma get swapped around and this breaks the settings.cfg, the saves, craft files, you name it.

The fix for this is to force KSP to start with a specific language, we use Posix © as all Linux distros have it, and the LC_ALL command in the terminal to set it like this.

LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64

That will start the 64bit version with the correct language."

Might be a bug to add to the tracker.

@sal_vager: is the above quote from you still valid on 1.1 linux machines?

No, not since 1.0.0 actually, as KSP was set to ignore localisation.

It's needed for 0.90.0 and earlier versions if you use a localisation that uses a comma for decimals.

But in 1.0 and 1.1 it won't do anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.