[1.2] Proton-M / Breeze-M

InsaneDruid

29 minutes ago, StoryMusgrave said:

Once again, your pictures are not working.

Should be fixed now.

6 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

That images (?) aren't working.

I verified the mod with a new fresh test-install with realplume. Engines are working, all saved crafts (Proton Light, Medium and M are working. What mods do you have installed besides the Proton and Realplume? Can you link a screenshot of your gamedata?

Should be working now, and here's my entire GameData folder as requested.

ipkXIF8.png

Edited by Brainpop14

On December 16, 2016 at 3:47 AM, InsaneDruid said:

To my knowledge:

Proton-M over K:
Changed flight control system (located in the upper compartment of s3), the new one was more capable and smaller so the small bulges around the perimeter of that upper compartment went away. The RD-253 was upgraded to the RD-276 specs and finally the Breeze-M was introduced as a new upper stage (though the M can fly with "ye olde" Block-DM). So visually: the new upper stage, if used and the absence of the small bulges.

So, the changes are more spec wise and internally than externally visible thigns. Then, a Proton-M isn't a Proton-M, too (it had several phases of upgrades already).

First phase upgrade:
The helium tanks on the Breeze-M are different, they removed one (so actually the current Breeze droptank represents an older one), the amount of fuel is a bit different in the Breeze (less) and Proton (more, thanks to cooled propellants), software changes on the Breeze, different main engine in the Breeze.
So visually: just the one less helium tank.

Second phase upgrade:
Upgraded engines on the first and second stage, thinner tank walls, use of composite structures on the s2 (the skin now actually has the visually more interesting riveted aluminium bump-map), and also the use of unpainted versions of the Proton-M to maximize payload capacity. Breeze has less pressure tanks (2 instead of 6 actually represented in the current model) in her upper inner compartment, moved avionics compartment to rebalance her. The 11d458 are spec improved.
So visually: the bump-map on the aft compartment of the s2, the amount of pressure tanks on the Breeze, and maybe an unpainted version.

Third phase upgrade:
Didn't change the design to my knowledge.

The most recent phase IV incorporated material changes and telemetry system upgrades, so not much visual change.

Summa summarum: the bulges, the amount of pressure tanks in the breeze, a material change only visible in the bump-map, and the upper stage.

OK, thanks!

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

Thanks Mate! Of course this will be fixed!

Hate to bother you but i am running into some difficulties.

I returned to KSP 2 weeks ago after a longer break, maybe i am doing something wrong but i seem to have found some weird bug.

I have assebled the Proton-M as usual including Breeze-M + ALCOR pod as a dummy payload, all without the main engines attached (but with the 1st Stage Fuel Tank) weighs 135.563t as per Vessel Stats window (Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb Vessel Info confirm this - 135.563t in MJ Vessel Info)

When i attach the Main engines (RD-253 Engine), the weight goes up to 11846 tons (MechJeb Vessel Info shows 11846.645t) and of course the rocket is not able to lift off - obviously some error as this doesnt happen with any other engine - i tried SpaceY Kiwi Engine which is comparable Thrust/Weight ratio and the total vessel Weight is 145.463t - liftoff happens without problems and orbit is achieved

I think i found the problem - in the Engine's cfg ( i am playing Career Game):

MODULE
	{
		name = PartStatsUpgradeModule
	  showUpgradesInModuleInfo = true
		UPGRADES
	  {
	  	UPGRADE
	    {
	      name__ = RD_275_14D14
	      techRequired__ = heavierRocketry
				IsAdditiveUpgrade__ = True
	      PartStats
	      {
					mass = 1950
				}
	    }
			UPGRADE
		  {
		  	name__ = RD_275M_14D14M
		  	techRequired__ = veryHeavyRocketry
				IsAdditiveUpgrade__ = True
				PartStats
		  	{
					mass = 1950
				}
	  	}
		}
	}

I changed the Section:

PartStats
	      {
					mass = 1950
				}

to:

PartStats
	      {
					mass = 1.950
				}

Now the total mass without payload is 145t

Yeah, I have uploaded a fix to GitHub in January. Should push it to the main release when the textures are done.

For the last weeks, this puppy kept (and keeps^^) me busy:

FCexWyU.png

I'm insane enough to (at least roughly) try to learn to understand what each button does. xD

33 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

Yeah, I have uploaded a fix to GitHub in January. Should push it to the main release when the textures are done.

For the last weeks, this puppy kept (and keeps^^) me busy:

FCexWyU.png

I'm insane enough to (at least roughly) try to learn to understand what each button does. xD

Ok, i failed to read the whole thread then :P

• 1 month later...

Just to clarify, this here is not forgotten.

Have a new great (dream-, involves science AND modelling) job that starts soon which required a new home in a new town, which required a new car and thus a metric crapton of real world stuff to fiddle with in the moment. So as the proton and unfortunately Nauka takes a break in real world, I take one from KSP, but not as long as the aforementioned. Promised.

There will be proton, there will be TKS/VA

Edited by InsaneDruid

• 1 month later...

Try enabling the aerodynamic forces overlay (default on F12). She'll flip when you point her out of the trajectory too much. In general, fly a rather steep "throwing" ascent where you just barely turn in the thick atmosphere. Just gently nudge her over and then always keep her nose in the boundaries of the prograde marker on the navball. Throttle down a bit during max q.

Remember that this model has no reaction wheels anywhere that magically produces forces Also no fins. All she has is the engine gimbal. Of course you can add a fat reaction wheel to help.

Also try controlling from the third stage during ascent, not the breeze or even from the payload. This will help to anti-wobble her a lot. See this video why:

• 3 months later...

There is a new update on the github version. It includes the 2017 variant of the proton medium launch vehicle as well as a rather drastic overhaul of the breeze-m. The RCS Tanks are now a separate model to allow the implementation of the independent high and low pressure fuel tanks on it, as it was requested. Along with this change, I implemented the different Phase 1 and Phase2 upgrades to the Breeze with different RCS Tank configurations (Phase 2 uses COPV tanks).

Also, the 11d458 motors now behave like RCS and can be controlled with the usual RCS controls in KSP. I find it easier to control ullage for the breeze main engine (it is needed now under RO and RF) and also easier to used then in their function of fine control engines.

Please have a look and report problems. RO isn't working for me with KSP 1.3 so I cannot really test it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2017 at 7:22 AM, Virtualgenius said:

Never been able to fly this just flips over any suggestions

I have now been having this problem. I find that the payload inside the fixed fairings is not aero shielded.  The problem is known and is a general issue with KSP. Modders are searching for a fix  

The solution at present is probably to just use the supplied stock like procedural fairing. I find also included in this mod a "Proton Fairing Hinge" part which is really marvellous and performs as advertised, "enhancing the look of procedural fairings".

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.