[1.2] Proton-M / Breeze-M

InsaneDruid

Thanks for the help here, Reloading did indeed fix the issue tho it was tempremental however the proton Flys!

Was really good fun playing SpaceX celebrating their victory! And on my birthday too I might add! Keep up the work it's appreciated.

Well then, a (late) happy birthday to you!

EDIT:

@Kerbal007, @sal_vager Now I get this error, too! And I found the issue, its the fairing (code) of KSP itself! Whenever you add a fairing (base) to a craft, but do not build the actual fairing out of it, the size of the craft will be 0 meters, and the warning "unabld to launch" will appear. Just tested on a 100% stock install. I am compiling a bug report.

Edited by InsaneDruid

I confirmed the issue of the fairing code about 6 hours after you did, only to see you already figured it out. While I agree this is somewhat of a bug on KSPs part, and I hate to have more parts then neccessary, could we not just remove the procedural part if say OSF or FAR is detected. Or have non-procedural parts included. Personally I'd rather see that than have the less sided fairing parts included. Especially with the performance increases we are seeing with 1.1.

As this is clearly a bug of the current, and soon to be replaced 1.1 pre-release subversion and thus will be fixed soon, I think we can leave them like they are now. And they have to fix it for it also messes up the readout in the engineers report, that just reports fairing size (which is probably the cause of the whole issue) and thus shows 0 meter if there is no fairing and just the faring height if there is one.

As soon as this bug is fixed you can choose to use the procedural or non-procedural fairings again (Felbourn will update its oldscoolfairings mod for the proper 1.1 release, so even without far they will be usable again). The less sided parts are needed to build interstage-like fairings (for TKS using tantares parts for example) that don't fully enclose, but attach to an existing part. If the polycount doesn't match between the fairing and the part its attached to it, you will see clipping.

InsaneDruid: I seem to be getting a nasty little rolling moment on the 2nd stage. Am I doing something wrong or are the engine transforms a bit off?

I will add that this is in KSPv1.1 Win64 and your latest release.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

This is interesting. It seems to originate from the quad adapter (RD0210 Heatshield). Though the transforms aren't off (in fact even if i copy over the ones defined by just coordinates from the squad quad adapter it will rotate). But disabling the mesh and the collider seems to fix it. So an actual aero problem? The meshes seem to be fine, but I'll recheck them to the micrometer.

Ok, wow, this is weird. Seems to be massive flaw in KSP handling multi-couplers. Even the order in which you attach (!) an engine to such a multi-coupler in the VAB determines some directional veering during flight, even when the engines are engages separately. Look at this craft: just an MK1-2 Pod, and a TWR-200 stack bicoupler and then two RT-10 solid boosters attached to it.

1111x7xqb.jpg

The craft will veer in the direction of the engine that is attached first!. You can sort of steer a vehicle just be the order of engine placement. Even if you do use symmetry. And yes, they are stage together, and are identical.

On 14-4-2016 at 0:22 AM, InsaneDruid said:

Ok, wow, this is weird. Seems to be massive flaw in KSP handling multi-couplers. Even the order in which you attach (!) an engine to such a multi-coupler in the VAB determines some directional veering during flight, even when the engines are engages separately. Look at this craft: just an MK1-2 Pod, and a TWR-200 stack bicoupler and then two RT-10 solid boosters attached to it.

The craft will veer in the direction of the engine that is attached first!. You can sort of steer a vehicle just be the order of engine placement. Even if you do use symmetry. And yes, they are stage together, and are identical.

I wonder if this is at all related to the multiport docking issue. Might stem from the same issue. Might be an out of scope issue or something. Is there an official bug report on the tracker yet?

And we will have a fully working vzor for manually aligning the va capsule retrograde:

RxeX7Kp.jpg

align wide angle lens-ring so that kerbin is centred, and then use the central zoom lens to align the landmass floating by to move horizontally from down to up by moving the capsule. Then fire.

(ignore the UV & texture on the rest though for now :wink: )

Are you using the "hard" fairings  (Proton-M Payload Fairing Side X) or the procedural ones?

The hard ones need:

which is in the process of being ported to 1.1. With the procedural fairings you should not have a great problem. Just keep her in the prograde reticle all the time, so start to lean over early, but very! gentle and slowly, remember to hot stage (fire stage2 before stage1 burns out) and it should be ok.

InsaneDruid: Tried this out again with 1.1 and FAR and I'm not getting that rolling moment anymore. Personally I don't plan on testing without FAR, because I use it exclusively, but there is the info.

Also, FWIW, if you use FAR there isn't need for OSF either.

All of which I'm sure you know Insane, but for others in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the provided sub-assembly or the craft file for reference.

1. Start with a Breeze-M Core
  2. Take the Breeze-M Fuel Duct, hit "R" to switch from cyclic to mirror symmetry, enable angle snap with "C", increase the (mirror) symmetry to 2 part symmetry using "X" and place the fuel ducts where the fuel lines are on the breeze core.
  3. Place a Breeze-M Tracking Antenna on the centre of the smaller angle between the fuel ducts. (see image 01)
  4. Place a pair of Breeze-M Telemetry and Glonass Antenna like shown in the picture. (see image 01)
  5. Use the move tool +"F" to fine-tune the depth of these antennas, if you like.
  6. Add one of the Breeze-M decouplers on top of the core.
  7. Place 4 Breeze-M RCS Blocks around the Mounting Brackets on the lower end of the core. (see image 02)
  8. Place the Drop-tank on the core. (see image 03)
  9. Place the 14D30 Engine in its mounting hole on the bottom of the core. (see image 03)

I didn't need to know the controls; if the badges in my signature don't point it out, I am no n00b to the general KSP, just this mod. Regardless, thank you for the overly-simple response. =P

I'm definitely an idiot; I had no idea there was a "Ships" folder within the archive. Thank you, as well, for pointing that out.

Another update is online.

This time, its mostly around fairings and finalizing the transition to unity5 for the build environment.

Everything is re-exported from Unity5, the fairings have a better UV layout and updated textures. You can also choose from some fairing logos or add your own via firespitter like so: (instructions are also in the firespitter.cfg)

Place your files anywhere and add a .cfg containing

@PART[HGAProtonFairingA*|HGAProtonFairingB*]:NEEDS[Firespitter]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{	
		@textureNames ^= :$:;my_path/my_texture;my_path2/my_texture2:			
		@textureDisplayNames ^= :$:;My Texture Name;My Texture Name2:
	}
}

I'll upload a layered template later this day.

Also, I included a togglable guide mesh in all fairing bases (right click on the base). Use it if you want to use the built in procedural fairings and you want to built a fairing shape that is original to the proton. The upper edge is the reference for the extended payload fairing, the lower edge is the guide for the standard fairing.

cWpac4X.png

EDIT:

I added the link to a .psd template for those who want to create their own fairing logos in the starting post.

Edited by InsaneDruid
link to template file added

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.